Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Have read a few threads on various forums regarding Canyon Spectral creaking headsets, The issue seems to be the headset and aero shaped spacers being used with the G5 stem, I have recently purchased a Spectral with the G5 integrated bar and stem and after 4 rides, the creaking started and despite pulling the headset apart, greasing everything inc the spacers, the creak is still there and is so loud and annoying that now I won't ride it.

It's not the steerer tube or fork crown, it'd def the headset. Has anyone else had issues and what did Canyon do to fix it? I've noted a few people have changed their stem and headset to solve it; however this isn't an option I'm going to accept as it's not what I paid for. I know enough about consumer law to know that if they can't find a solution without changing the bars to a conventional set up they are in breach of contract and are obliged to give me a refund.

So pissed off as I spent an eternity on my previous bike trying to solve creaking issues. all the reviews I read were great but I guess I should have searched harder!

I've contacted Canyon and lodged a request and despite explaining the bike is un rideable I'm told I'm in the line and will b contacted Monday or Tuesday!

moorey

call me Mia

the creak is still there and is so loud and annoying that now I won't ride it.

I've contacted Canyon and lodged a request and despite explaining the bike is un rideable I'm told I'm in the line and will b contacted Monday or Tuesday!
Can’t swap bars/stem until they sort it, rather than sit around waiting?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have s hardtail I can ride. I don’t have a spare set of bars atm. I think the headset needs to be changed as well as there’s some split spacer in the top assembly I haven’t seen before.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Yea its that plastic top cap and the plastic spacers. Piss them off for a cane creek top cap and metal spacers and the creak goes away.

The design still isnt optimal though, as the topcap design doesnt centrally locate the steerer to the top bearing, as the preload race isn't connected directly to the top cap.

Ill get a pic of mine later

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yea its that plastic top cap and the plastic spacers. Piss them off for a cane creek top cap and metal spacers and the creak goes away.

The design still isnt optimal though, as the topcap design doesnt centrally locate the steerer to the top bearing, as the preload race isn't connected directly to the top cap.

Ill get a pic of mine later
Thanks mate. Did you change your stem?

This is a design flaw Canyon should have addressed with their latest lineup! I’m a bit over it and will be going down the refund route.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Yea I did change the stem - had a preferred combo ready to go and changed it and the headset , topcap and spacers before I even rode the bike.

I'm sure it will be on all of their bikes moving forward.

Plastic parts don't belong on mountainbikes.

You could keep the integrated bar and stem thing and just change the topcap and spacers.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Yea the bike rides great once its resolved. Cop the $100 or if you really want to get up canyon about it, you could get them to reimburse you.

I think the top cap you need is a ZS49

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are going to get a refund on an entire bike because of a creak in the headset that can be sorted fairly easily?? Really?
Yep, because i need to replace the integrated bars and headset
Baby or bathwater? Who can tell?
intelligent! why bother
Yea the bike rides great once its resolved. Cop the $100 or if you really want to get up canyon about it, you could get them to reimburse you.

I think the top cap you need is a ZS49
Its not $100 it the integrated bars need replacing

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The top cups on the Spectrals are made of some type of composite material.

Make sure its not cracked by excessive tightening and causing the headset to rub.

EDIT: yours is ZS

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

intelligent! why bother

The point being made by @Haylex, who has direct experience of the issue you’ve raised, is that you can fix the creak simply by replacing the headset bearing cover and steerer spaces with standard versions. Not the whole headset, and not the bar/stem.

Whether bikes should be creaky from factory is not really up for debate - like it or not it’s going to happen. If you’re not willing to take some steps to fix it you’re not likely to get a lot of sympathy here. Push Canyon to cover the cost (or provide the parts required), but pursuing a return and refund on an entire bike because of a headset creak is a pretty extreme course of action if the creak isn’t caused by an irreparable frame defect.

Jpez

Down on the left!

intelligent! why bother

From all reports Canyon are at the top of heap for responding to customers and issues and warranties.
Why not see if they can work out a solution instead of jumping up and down on their counter first and demanding a refund? It just seems excessive for what is at the end of the day a pretty minor issue.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From all reports Canyon are at the top of heap for responding to customers and issues and warranties.
Why not see if they can work out a solution instead of jumping up and down on their counter first and demanding a refund? It just seems excessive for what is at the end of the day a pretty minor issue.
I've put it onto Canyon. I haven't demanded anything at this stage. If they can't provide a solution at their expense which doesn't involve changing the entire cockpit, well I'll take it from there.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The point being made by @Haylex, who has direct experience of the issue you’ve raised, is that you can fix the creak simply by replacing the headset bearing cover and steerer spaces with standard versions. Not the whole headset, and not the bar/stem.

Whether bikes should be creaky from factory is not really up for debate - like it or not it’s going to happen. If you’re not willing to take some steps to fix it you’re not likely to get a lot of sympathy here. Push Canyon to cover the cost (or provide the parts required), but pursuing a return and refund on an entire bike because of a headset creak is a pretty extreme course of action if the creak isn’t caused by an irreparable frame defect.

Thanks, but not looking for your sympathy. I merely wanted to know if others have had issues and what Canyon did to resolve them!