Capital Punishment 2011

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Pinkbike - I have access to a subscription long range weather service, but I can't post up the full details as it's copyrighted.

The short version, prediction generated as of this morning is for 0.4mm Wed, 0mm Thu, 2.8mm Fri and 5.8mm Sat, with the majority of that rain coming after 2-3pm.

Temperature should be 15-20 degrees with wind peaking at 14km/h westerly.

My read, it'll be WAY better conditions than last year. I rode Kowen on the weekend and the trails are in excellent condition.

& last time they predicted 5mm of rain we didnt get any. If they were predicting 20mm, belive it but 5 mm is just hedging their bets.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Quote from Pinchbike For the record, if I pull the pin and DNS then I will NOT whinge about loosing my entry money, nor will I blame AROC for the rain and demand sunshine next year :p[/QUOTE]
Mind you, you will make the decision not to ride and claim back your money, not the promoter.:cool:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Gonna be awesome, gonna be dry (enough), gonna be exhausting, gonna be long, gonna be fun.

Gonna go ride and not worry about what might happen or did(n't) happen or whatnot. :cool:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
On another subject - is visiting a shop or servo during the 45min 'neutral zone' considered illegal or outside help?
Just thinking of making the most of my 45mins - so might drop into Coles for a pie....

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
On another subject - is visiting a shop or servo during the 45min 'neutral zone' considered illegal or outside help?
Just thinking of making the most of my 45mins - so might drop into Coles for a pie....
Says in Event Rules Page 11 of briefing:

You may stop along the untimed section including at the shops along/near the route to buy some lunch or go to a bike store. You will ride directly past both Dickson and O'Conner shops. Both these areas have bike stores.

So you can have your pie :eek:

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I think it's fine. If you read the riders brief info, I believe they recommend it.

paul_sm82

Likes Bikes
Good bakery at Dickson Shops and west kowen track report from this morning

Forget coles (it's a woolies anyway) mate, there is good bakery or two right there at the dickson shops.

My mate and I are planning to get through the first 50 odd kms plenty early enough to grab some brekky from Maccas at Dickson.

Rode my regular at west Kowen this morning, track is all marked out so I rode what they had marked out, was good. Club track section is nice and dry despite bit of rain in the last couple of days and the only crap bit is they have taken all of the slightly more technical/challenging sections out so it is a little boring. Bottom section of singletrack before you drop out onto Sutton rd was a bit more muddy as I think it is mostly ridden by motos (or not at all) but is wide enough in most sections to avoid what water/mud is there. Is mostly flat to downhill anyway so no real effort required.

Should be good fun on the weekend.

darrenjm1

Likes Bikes
Tyre choice

Not sure if tyres have been covered already but what are people using??

I usually ride with Mountain Kings but find they are to slow for the smooth canberra trails. I have a set of crossmarks and racekings i could use?? is this a better option considering the weather or should i stick to the mountain kings???

Thanks

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My usual race setup is high roller front larsen back. If it was dry the larsen was going to the front and a crossmark to the back. At the moment its going to be normal setup as i don't think the trails will be their usual harpack selves. If we get more rain ill be going Ignitor front and the high roller will move to the back.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
However as an adult this year, with two wet 100km races now under my belt the novelty is wearing off and I may make the independent decision not to race if the conditions are bad. The Otway was only a month ago and that mud was soul destroying... but hey, who said mountain biking was a dry weather sport anyway?? If I wanted a cotton wool sport with no risk then I would join the local lawn bowls club... seriously ppl it's MOUNTAIN BIKING if it's muddy it will be slidey but if you enter you are kinda implying that you can ride a bike!
Well that'd be friggin stupid...

more people die playing lawn bowls than any other sport!

:p:p:p:p

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weather update from the subscription weather service:
12-20 degrees, 14km/h westerly and (drum roll) zero rain.

yay!

krisko

Likes Dirt
Compound this with no follow up track maintenance and most local riders get stung yet again.
I saw plenty of evidence of post (non)race maintenance after the Doctor, and as has been said numerous times on this forum the Canberra trails all recovered nicely after the race. I rode some of the trails used in the CP 2 days ago and they are in great condition.
What you didn't notice was the cost to the public, yes us tax payers contributed just short of $15k in follow up maintenance!

Originally Posted by krisko
I realise its a business and money has to be made but not at the expense of safety amongst other things.
Please help me understand how a muddy race is a safety issue? If last years CP was unreasonably dangerous I think we need to immediately cancel every race anywhere.
I was actually referring to AROC's Angry Doc race sending people into areas with falling/fallen trees, as an example of there style of business.

What you haven't been told is that a lot of the planned trails have been approved for use in dry conditions only. As a precaution against what happened at last years race.
What this means is you MAY be riding on even more footpaths if its damp/wet at the district rangers discretion.

Its going to be interesting to see how locals walking there dogs etc on the footpaths react to a barrage of racers coming through! Has the potential for some interesting moments....

On a good note just got back from a night ride and the trails are sweet!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What you didn't notice was the cost to the public, yes us tax payers contributed just short of $15k in follow up maintenance!

I was actually referring to AROC's Angry Doc race sending people into areas with falling/fallen trees, as an example of there style of business.

What you haven't been told is that a lot of the planned trails have been approved for use in dry conditions only. As a precaution against what happened at last years race.
What this means is you MAY be riding on even more footpaths if its damp/wet at the district rangers discretion.

Its going to be interesting to see how locals walking there dogs etc on the footpaths react to a barrage of racers coming through! Has the potential for some interesting moments....

I can't wait either!

frensham

Likes Dirt
I can't wait either! One more (semi) sleep!

72Fury

Likes Dirt
The Majura Pines section includes a sweet selection of tracks including some freshly cut new track. Track conditions were close to perfect this morning.

JD26

Likes Dirt
having ridden the Black Mountain part yesterday, I am wondering how many people will axe themselves riding down the mine shaft (local black mountain name for a very steep, loose, off camber) that heads down to the bike path

LastMile

Likes Bikes
having ridden the Black Mountain part yesterday, I am wondering how many people will axe themselves riding down the mine shaft (local black mountain name for a very steep, loose, off camber) that heads down to the bike path
Rode that section this morning on Bontrager XR1s (similar to Small Block 8s). That whole downhill/rolling traverse from the saddle to the bike path is going to be dicey at race pace.

I think I'll be exercising a little caution there and saving a bit for the bike path/firetrail/bike path smash afterward.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Rode that section this morning on Bontrager XR1s (similar to Small Block 8s). That whole downhill/rolling traverse from the saddle to the bike path is going to be dicey at race pace.

I think I'll be exercising a little caution there and saving a bit for the bike path/firetrail/bike path smash afterward.
yeah the section isn't so long that you'd lose much time if you played safe and just got through it best you can. My juicy 3s were squealing like pigs coming down there yesterday... very very loose and I'm somewhat worried if people will be trying to pass - you need to take corners really wide and early so you're not turning so acutely. I can see so many people acting like heros and attempting to bomb down the downhill sections. But a good addition nevertheless. Better than coming round the other way that we did last time. More interesting.