Capital Punishment 2012

SteveG

Likes Bikes
My r/rank (which I assume means place) changed from 240 (at the start of the untimed) to 221 in the untimed section, there may have been some people who took over 45 minutes or dropped out in here but it does seem a large number for either of those to ahve happenned. owever m final r/rank was 241, but my race place was 263. I assume this was due to sorting out the times for some people.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
..... this is the Premier League!

Christ, 3:33 for 100km?! That's quicker then the Back Yamma.
Back Yamma was mostly flat with a bump...... this was mostly fire trail, downhill, plenty of rest stops.... unfortunately I got a couple of punctures [1 x tube, 8 x ego] blew me out to 6.50hr. Come up and try it next year.... punishment for some can be fun!

Last edited:

Karlos

Squid
My r/rank (which I assume means place) changed from 240 (at the start of the untimed) to 221 in the untimed section, there may have been some people who took over 45 minutes or dropped out in here but it does seem a large number for either of those to ahve happenned. owever m final r/rank was 241, but my race place was 263. I assume this was due to sorting out the times for some people.
It looks to me like r/rank is based on total race time to whichever checkpoint, so people taking less time through untimed would have a lower r/rank at finish than those that took the 45mins, but would end up gaining places once the untimed is taken into account to give the adjusted race time, and rank.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Christ, 3:33 for 100km?! That's quicker then the Back Yamma.
the 3:33 is for more like 87km ... I made the race more like 96km this year on my Garmin, last year I made it more like 104km on the same Garmin so the actual race distance is more like 87km in 2012 versus 95km in 2011 so that's why everyone was a bit quicker this year.

I know the Garmin under registers a bit but the difference between the two years should be pretty accurate.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Back Yamma was mostly flat with a bump...... this was mostly fire trail, downhill, plenty of rest stops.... unfortunately I got a couple of punctures [1 x tube, 8 x ego] blew me out to 6.50hr. Come up and try it next year.... punishment for some can be fun!
hmmm plenty of rests - sounds like my kind of race ;-)
Would definately be tempted to do CP next year!
re: the 6:50, just means you got a time to smash to bits next yearSteve - use it as motivation - you have 'unfinished' business for 2013 I reckon :)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm I'm starting to think that my time in the untimed zone was 45:00 because I bummed around too much. I'll have to take it a bit more seriously next year if I want to podium! :)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm I'm starting to think that my time in the untimed zone was 45:00 because I bummed around too much. I'll have to take it a bit more seriously next year if I want to podium! :)
I ended up taking about ~35 minutes or so, but remember thinking at the time: "i've got loads of time to spare.. err, maybe not". I think a few people found that allotted 45 minutes a little deceptive :)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
dose anyone know the lady with the big white lens taking the photos at the 100km start
nah, but there is a guy who took heaps of pics of the 50. If you go to facebook capital punishment page you can access them. Theres about 1200 of them. Helluva lot cheaper than Aurora.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Pics are up. Worth the wait, great quality and a decent amount for the distance.

http://www.auroraimages.com.au/index.php?category=gallery/events/mtb/cp12&start=0
Pretty good pictures indeed, but $25 each? ouch. I vaguely recall the pictures of the Highland Fling being able to be bought in a bundle - $65 for all of them or something. Is there a similar option?

It's also really hard to see details on such small pictures :(

Edit: ah.. found it. Tiny value pack button when you first enter your race number @ $50.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know who was taking photos at the drop at the bottom of Stromlo? Its where you come around the side of the small hill and can either do the drop or ride around to the right of it. They don't seem to be on Aurora Images.

First attempt at 100km

This was my 1st attempt at 100km and I loved it!! Although I suffered with cramping for about half of it and had a massive off just before the 1st feed stn I still posted a 5hr 50m time which I was pleased with. It gives me something to aim to beat next year now!!!
I don't know what the average 'vets' time was to compare??

Re. the pics, Aurora did a great job and I had 17 images which I had no problem paying the $49.95 for, good quality downloaded images, highly recommended!

Building a bigger engine and lighter chassis is my target now.....

Jubas

Likes Dirt
This was my 1st attempt at 100km and I loved it!! Although I suffered with cramping for about half of it and had a massive off just before the 1st feed stn I still posted a 5hr 50m time which I was pleased with. It gives me something to aim to beat next year now!!!
I'm keen to have a crack at the 100km next year as my first attempt at that distance. What sort of times were you doing for 50km races? Was it considerably harder for the 100km?