Car crash with no witsness's - was I at fault? - Update: It definitely wasn't

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Driving home from work today I was driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane road. Put my indicator on to change into the left lane and as I was merging, a car pulled out of a side street (turning into the closest lane going the same direction as me). I saw her and swerved back into my lane but not quick enough and the front right corner of her car clipped the door line between the front fender and my door panel.

I'm confident I was in the right but she thought otherwise. Given that no one stopped and no one was around to verify as a witness, who will be deemed at fault here?

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
She's wrong. If she was turning into the road from a side street, she has to give way to the right regardless of whether you're changing lanes or not.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
She's wrong. If she was turning into the road from a side street, she has to give way to the right regardless of whether you're changing lanes or not.
+infinity.

she must give way to traffic coming from her right, you were coming from her right and since there was an accident she clearly didn't give way.

from a technical standpoint, you shouldn't really ever be pulling out into the empty left lane of a 2+ lane road if there are cars in either of the other 2 lanes - it's just bad technique. In practice though, it happens regularly such as when there's heavy or slow moving traffic where if you didn't do it you'd never get out, but it's still not real crash hot.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Got through to my insurance company and I'm all sweet! Plus the lady on the phone had a good rant about how much she hated when people pull out into the closest lane on multi-lane roads.