Car question, am I nuts or is everyone else?

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
So, I'm moving to Europe, lucky me.

However it means I need to sell everything. Storage is not viable as I'm gone for a year to forever.

I've got a 2003 Forester, which I consider to be in good condition. 187,000 kms, log book servicing, bodywork A1 and as far as I know, mechanically sound (I'm currently writing this in the passenger seat on my way to Byron Bay for a family week from Melbourne). Current market value is around the $8000-$10000 mark. (carsales.com, carsguide.com etc)

I don't have the time to do a rwc, carry out any work, re-register it in NSW, then sell it. It needs afew minor things as far as I can tell, parking light, rear discs/pads, heat shield on the exhaust tightened, maybe more. On top of that the 200,000 service is coming up, so that $700 to $1000 for complete overhaul plus timing belt.

To my mind, our asking price of $5000 as is, is potentially a bargain for someone who knows Subarus? I wouldn't advise someone who knows nothing about cars to buy it thinking they are getting a $5000 car, because they are not.

It goes into the garage at the end of the week, as if it hasn't sold at the bargain price then I'll just have to do the work and ask family to sell it. But then I'll have to put the price up.

Question is, do I sound suspicious? I genuinely feel like I'm being as honest as I can be to get a quick sale!

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2003-subaru-forester-xs-79v/SSE-AD-2404048?

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Might be worth noting what work it needs and approx costs.
Be as homes about it as possible. If your worried about it making it look expensive than note that market value is 8-10k and the work as been taken Into account.

Possibly include history if its been in crashes or not.

It seems legit to me though.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
It's a buyers market and buyers are lazy. I see cars like this at the dealership where I work all the time. They would probably give you $1500 for it. Just how it is. Needs work and too many kays.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Oh man what a good opertunity but such a shame we wont get much more riding in. Sadly most people looking for cars are just dreamers. Knowing your car id pay 5k for it.

Have you tried the suby forums?

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Oh man what a good opertunity but such a shame we wont get much more riding in. Sadly most people looking for cars are just dreamers. Knowing your car id pay 5k for it.

Have you tried the suby forums?
Yeah mate I know! Still if you ever fancy a holiday in Morzine gimme a shout! Gutted to miss Granton today. Haven't tried the Suby forums but I will now, forgotten about that entirely!

clockworked

Like an orange
you sound a little dodgy. just put a a quick list of what you think is wrong with it, and what you think it'll cost to fix. that would seem a lot more inviting to me

marc.r

Likes Dirt
post it on a subaru forum like ozfoz.com

the people their work on their own cars. non turbos like this are very popular with p platers who are into outdoorsy stuff. I think you'd find a buyer on a place like that quickly as they are comfortable fixing them and customizing at the same time.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My thoughts:
1) Reword your ad. Don't refer to yourself as 'the seller.' Just say, I'm going overseas indefinitely, I need to sell my car. It's a good runner and has served me well. A few things need doing, etc.
2) Say what needs doing and that the price you're asking reflects that.
3) Timing belt ~ $1000. If disc brakes need replacing ~ $500
4) Maybe up the price but say you're open to offers - perceived value, etc.
5) Your comments about the Blue Slip and RWC are your big barriers to a sale I reckon. Straight away people don't want to have to deal with that. Its not a classic car, so people will just look at any other Subaru that comes with RWC.

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
My thoughts:
1) Reword your ad. Don't refer to yourself as 'the seller.' Just say, I'm going overseas indefinitely, I need to sell my car. It's a good runner and has served me well. A few things need doing, etc.
2) Say what needs doing and that the price you're asking reflects that.
3) Timing belt ~ $1000. If disc brakes need replacing ~ $500
4) Maybe up the price but say you're open to offers - perceived value, etc.
5) Your comments about the Blue Slip and RWC are your big barriers to a sale I reckon. Straight away people don't want to have to deal with that. Its not a classic car, so people will just look at any other Subaru that comes with RWC.
I agree entirely. The idea I had in my head is that someone who can look at the car, test drive it etc would be able to asses the work required and pick up a bargain. However if I have to do the rwc etc I will, just means I have to leave the car with family which I'd rather not do.

I'll re-word the ad though I sound like a bit of a douche.

Timing belt $1000? Last I looked that was around the $400 mark from a CBD Melbourne mechanic...

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
post it on a subaru forum like ozfoz.com

the people their work on their own cars. non turbos like this are very popular with p platers who are into outdoorsy stuff. I think you'd find a buyer on a place like that quickly as they are comfortable fixing them and customizing at the same time.
Thanks mate, I'll do that.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I agree entirely. The idea I had in my head is that someone who can look at the car, test drive it etc would be able to asses the work required and pick up a bargain. However if I have to do the rwc etc I will, just means I have to leave the car with family which I'd rather not do.

I'll re-word the ad though I sound like a bit of a douche.

Timing belt $1000? Last I looked that was around the $400 mark from a CBD Melbourne mechanic...
Yeah, that approach is good if you have time on your side, however harder to move quickly like you need to because you're severely cutting down your target market for a sale. Try the forums with that approach as marc.r suggested, but change it up if you're selling on carsales to a general audience.

Must be off on the timing belt quote. I do drive a VW though :help:

I think a reword and even some better pics will get you more exposure.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
187k km isn't all that high for a Subie - mine's done nearly double and is only just starting to show signs of getting tired! My 300k (yes, that is an extra 100,000 beyond this car's imminent biggie) service cost $1300, but I also needed the timing belt tensioner and bearing kit, which cost a tad over $600 alone. So yeah, ballpark $500-700 for service, depending on anything else that may need doing. 13 thou until the service is due is a good six months for the new owner to prepare for that cost, so it's not like it's something that's suddenly going to pop up next week out of the blue.

On the whole, I'd say the $5k asking is pretty damn sweet for a '03, regardless of what's due in the next few months. Good luck with the sale. :smile:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 01 GT forester. Just had the 200k timing belt service done.. 2 diff mechanics quoted between 1200-1400.

camo71

Likes Dirt
The non turbo sohc are cheaper for belt kits and labour usually , in my opinion it would have to a really smick non turbo to pull 8-10 grand private, that said though if its a genuine decent car that just needs a few things 5 k is a good fair price and as said you should get some interest through Ozfoz .

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Just offloaded my 2003 Liberty B4, 190,500km on the clock.

BMW offered me $4k in trade, I put it on Carsales and have been slowly dropping the price from $10k down by $500 amounts for the last 6 months. I finally got a sale last week at $7500 privately. I had to get a roadworthy to grab that sale, which cost me $550 all up, including a new windscreen and rear window tint (which had bubbled up).

Tweak your ad, get whatever extra little bits done you can and be upfront with future costs and you should be able to sell it.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone else, future reference redbook.com.au is also brilliant for estimating your sale price or if you're getting ripped :)