Carbon Bars - do you use them - are they good?

ChopSticks

Banned
Do you need to run friction paste on a set of bars or is that just for seat posts?
its recommended you do... but I dont
the Enve bars I run have a textured/rough surface built into the bars around the clamping area, just make sure you have a torque wrench more so than anything!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
thanks guys. seems like it is time to clear up some space on the credit card and buy the pretty/more comfortable ones.

Do you need to run friction paste on a set of bars or is that just for seat posts?
i would/do use carbon paste at any carbon/metal meeting point to prevent galvanic corrosion.

teK--

Eats Squid
On the comments about taking out the trail buzz. I agree but it is something you get used to as well.

E.g. I had Easton Havoc carbon bars and changed to Renthal fatbar alloy. Immediately I felt the extra shock to my wrist, but part of this would have been a combination of wider grip and the different bar material.

Within 2-3 rides I was used to it and don't have any issues.

Eduardo80

Likes Bikes
The ones you put are the Havoc. The ones im looking for is Haven 35
I don't trust ebay ones.

Thanks anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
CRC have Haven 35's listed but not in stock so perhaps ask them on due date?

It's a new "standard" and these days the product launch seems to be months before stock turns up anywhere.....

are 31.8's not stiff enough?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I would hazard a guess that a cheap carbon bar, if it offered reasonable weight and stiffness, would be as harsh as a well designed alloy bar.
Did you read the Santa Cruz link earlier? Due to the fundamentally different properties, metal compounds (aluminium alloys, steel, titanium etc.) will never match the damping of composites.

Klips

Likes Dirt
On the comments about taking out the trail buzz. I agree but it is something you get used to as well.

E.g. I had Easton Havoc carbon bars and changed to Renthal fatbar alloy. Immediately I felt the extra shock to my wrist, but part of this would have been a combination of wider grip and the different bar material.

Within 2-3 rides I was used to it and don't have any issues.
Good to hear, I just got mine and they're definitely a bit of a shock to the system!

Eduardo80

Likes Bikes
CRC have Haven 35's listed but not in stock so perhaps ask them on due date?

It's a new "standard" and these days the product launch seems to be months before stock turns up anywhere.....

are 31.8's not stiff enough?
Thanks, I will make an enquire.
31.8 is fine, but I want the 35.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Carbon Renthal Fatbar lites here... worth the coin IMO if you can bother spending $160 on a bar. Take out a little bit of trail chatter, and good width and rise/sweep profile. Only issue is getting them online for a good price and working out what rise you want. Before everyone hates on me buying from overseas, I went into numerous bike shops only to be told they would have to order them in. I just took a punt and went 20mm which have been good so far.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would/do use carbon paste at any carbon/metal meeting point to prevent galvanic corrosion.
But galvanic is corrosion between dissimilar metals creating a small electrical current causing corrosion. Carbon bars are coated in what is essentially a plastic clear coat so corrosion wont occur.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Carbon paste is not so much about protecting from corrosion, but more about increasing friction in the clamped area. Overtightening a clamp around carbon poses a very high risk of crush damage; carbon paste ensures the bar/seatpost has enough grip so lower force can be applied to the clamp & still have a secure fit. Most carbon bars have grippy stuff embedded in the clearcoat in the clamping area, so don't really need to be pasted.

Corrosion prevention becomes a concern when fitting an aluminium post in a carbon frame; inside the frame is not clearcoated, so you have direct alloy-carbon contact that will cause problems if the joint isn't properly coated.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbon paste is not so much about protecting from corrosion, but more about increasing friction in the clamped area. Overtightening a clamp around carbon poses a very high risk of crush damage; carbon paste ensures the bar/seatpost has enough grip so lower force can be applied to the clamp & still have a secure fit. Most carbon bars have grippy stuff embedded in the clearcoat in the clamping area, so don't really need to be pasted.

Corrosion prevention becomes a concern when fitting an aluminium post in a carbon frame; inside the frame is not clearcoated, so you have direct alloy-carbon contact that will cause problems if the joint isn't properly coated.
Yep, I know that. However someone else said that carbon paste was used to prevent corrosion...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
But galvanic is corrosion between dissimilar metals creating a small electrical current causing corrosion. Carbon bars are coated in what is essentially a plastic clear coat so corrosion wont occur.
thanks. go have a google and see how many cases of carbon posts in corroded alloy frames (and vise versa) there are.

correct, i was just stating one of the reasons i use it in a carbon to metal environment. i have carbon paste at every joint on my carbon bike.

Yep, I know that. However someone else said that carbon paste was used to prevent corrosion...
it does. that's not the main use, but a use albeit.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks. go have a google and see how many cases of carbon posts in corroded alloy frames (and vise versa) there are.

correct, i was just stating one of the reasons i use it in a carbon to metal environment. i have carbon paste at every joint on my carbon bike.

it does. that's not the main use, but a use albeit.
If they are corroded in there it isn't through a galvanic reaction to a plastic part. I'd love to know how carbon that can not carry an electrical current sufficient enough to create anything that would erode an alloy part.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Carbon fibre is electrically conductive. Carbon & aluminium are almost at opposite ends of the galvanic scale; given half a chance they WILL react badly, with the aluminium coming out second best. Carbon bars or seatpost in aluminium frame are relatively inert because the polyurethane coating over the carbon acts as an isolating layer (unless it's scratched deeply enough to expose raw carbon). Alloy posts in carbon frames are bad news, because there is direct contact with the carbon fibre unless it's really thoroughly coated with an isolating compound of some sort. If you're mixing carbon & metal components, you're much better off with titanium; they're very close on the galvanic scale, so reactiveness is minimal.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I couldn't get an off cut of seat post to give any resistance and I couldn't get it to conduct even milliamps.
Anyway...

What is the failure rate of these carbon bars? Say, from minor stacks or moments into trees?