Carbon Hardtail as a touring bicycle?? I've heard its not a viable option but...

gadget1

Likes Dirt
What do people think?

How realistic for dirt touring is a carbon hardtail?

I'm thinking either towing a trailer

or:-
camera on bars
sleepingbag, clothes on back (light/bulky)
food, tent, etc on saddle bag.
Water bladder frame bag

Totally mad? thoughts?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well per weight to strength ratio, carbon is stronger than, Alu, steel, ti, and any other material you can make a frame from. so no reason why carbon wouldn't be suitable for touring. what you would need is a carbon frame designed for touring specifically.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can depend a bit on your weight and weight/ bulk of what you plan to carry.

What did you have in mind with "touring", some epic off road adventures (2-10 day) or around the globe?

I have toured on an alu framed XC bike with backpack and would use a carbon bike for the same purpose with perhaps a bar/ frame bag combo for light/ bulky items.

gadget1

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm only 67kg.

I've done a couple of overnight rides on my full susser which i managed to keep under 10kg.

I guess I'm thinking about riding off road/dirt roads for up to a week or 2, maybe carrying up to 20/25kg.

I've just heard from various sources that carbon frames aren't so good from a durability point of view and have issues with panniers.

This guy made me think about a carbon bike, though, even though he was riding on road.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...terates-round-the-world-cycling-record-34177/

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Horses for courses....and most (if not all) carbon frames are not built for touring (and certainly not towing). They are built light to go fast whereas touring frames are built heavily to go forever...

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
The obvious thing people will say is steel is the best option, because you can just weld it if you have a crack or break.

Otherwise touring you will have racks and panniers rubbing on the frame for extended periods, which probably ain't great for carbon.

If you are planning on serious touring, it would be worth building up a good steel frame. If you are just talking weekend missions, ride what youve got

shakes

Likes Dirt
Totally doable. Check the self sufficient thread for bag idea's. Easily carry all you need in a frame bag, saddle bag and bar sling.

Depending on the style of tour if it's a more race orientated bike, after a few days might not be to comfy of a ride.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
All of the bike packing stuff I've done has been on a carbon hard tail... Blog write ups are here some of the pics are bit intermittent but you get the idea. Bike was a Scott scale 29rc

gadget1

Likes Dirt
yep, thanks.
just wanted to get an idea i wasn't barking up the wrong tree.

As long as i keep any weight off the seat stays, use an alloy seatpost, and saddle/frame bags, I should be fine.
thanks

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
A hell of a lot of carbon hardtails have made it from Banff to Antelope Wells in the Tour Divide in one piece. The style of riding they do in that race sounds much like what you are shooting for. Run what you brung and see what happens, that is part of the adventure ;)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
People ride across continents on anything from $50 walmart/salvation army bikes to 20kg custom made steel touring battleships and carbon road bikes. It will limit what you can carry. As always caveat emptor on using something that it isn't specifically designed for, but it isn't going to explode into flames on you just because it isn't on a groomed xc race track.