Carbon Hardtail

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I am now in the market for a carbon hardtail. My budget is $2,800-$3,300.

Can get a Scott Scale 30 for $3100. Any other suggestions or feedback on the Scale 30?

Cheers,

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Scale is a very good bike. Light responsive and stiff. Maybe a bit too stiff for long rides (5 hours +) or if your a lazy rider.

I think Merida have a FLX frame around that price as well.

Dont know how much the Giant XTC advance frames go for, but the cheaper one is probably in that price range. But the Scott or the Merida would be my choice. I currently have a Merida FLX frame which I really like.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
2008 Giant Alliance

G'day Napalm73,

See if your local Giant dealer can find you an XTC Alliance. Composite frame - meaning combo of alu and carbon. Mid-season release last year. XT drivetrain, Fox fork F100RL and Mavic 819 tubeless rims on DT Swiss hubs.
They were a bargain last year at under $3k.
And all came onshore before the price rises that hit all bike importers due to combination of GFC and Aussie dollar hitting the rocks harder than a newbie on a DH course.
Might take you a bit of phoning around.
Drop me a PM offline and I'll give you some leads.

regards,
Bear

jean5614

Likes Dirt
This thread might be better in the for sale section, but until then, I have a Kadex full carbon medium frame, it's got good geometry, only used sparingly as a back up bike in 24hr races. Willing to part with the frame, to upgrade. cheers Jack

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can give you a lead on a Merida Carbon FLX hardtail - PM me if interested. Possibly know of a XTC C0 (06 model maybe?) that may still be available.

How tall are you and what size are you looking for?

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Can give you a lead on a Merida Carbon FLX hardtail - PM me if interested. Possibly know of a XTC C0 (06 model maybe?) that may still be available.

How tall are you and what size are you looking for?
Currently ride a medium and am 5'9''.

Cheers,

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I bought a used Merida FLX from someone on here, and it's a magnificent thing to ride. Best MTB I have ridden. Go carbon!

Last edited:

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the replies. Mates are saying I should go for a short travel dually. Don't want to start the whole HT vs ST debate.

Giant, Merida and Scott all look good.

MBPL

Banned
I picked up a Giant XC carbon 2nd hand (as new) for a tad over $2,200.

Last edited:

Shaman

Likes Dirt
I'm going to throw down a vote for the Carbon Zaskar Expert.

Virtually the same level spec as what you'd find on the equivalent Scott or Giant but in a more exclusive package.

The Carbon Zaskar frame is an absolute gem too and highly underrated IMHO. Also, the red finish looks a whole lot better in the flesh than it does on the net. Still, here it is anyway:

Attachments