Carbon rear triangle repair or replace

moman

Likes Dirt
Have about a 1.5 inch impact area that needs to be repaired on the non-drive side seat stay of my dually. Rock impact. Paint is pretty good but the carbon is definitely compromised.

What's people's opinion about repair or replace? An unpainted repair will cost a bit over a third of the whole rear triangle replacement while a painted repair job will be about half.

Who knows about these things? Carbon is an unknown material to me.

teK--

Eats Squid
Have about a 1.5 inch impact area that needs to be repaired on the non-drive side seat stay of my dually. Rock impact. Paint is pretty good but the carbon is definitely compromised.

What's people's opinion about repair or replace? An unpainted repair will cost a bit over a third of the whole rear triangle replacement while a painted repair job will be about half.

Who knows about these things? Carbon is an unknown material to me.
Repair will be as good as new if you pick a good repairer. If you want to cheap it out then repair and no paint just skin the area with vinyl. Will affect resale value. If new triangle remember u get new bearings included so factor that value in as well.

moman

Likes Dirt
Effecting resale value makes sense. How much so? Do people really shy away from repaired frames or is it more a cosmetic issue?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Carbon is very readily repairable by people who know what they're doing; in fact it's one of the most readily repairable materials used in the bike world. Get it done.

Another thing to think about.... metals to varying degrees can be recycled. This is not the case with carbon, being a composite material. So any dead products go into landfill. So getting it repaired is also a greener option.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
i'd feel thats more if you plan on repairing, painting and then not disclosing it as part of the sale
Depends on the buyer. If it was professionally repaired it may even be better than new. Lots of frames come new from factory with defects in the carbon which are found afterwards by repairers when repairing crash damagein a different area.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
IMO a repair, even if fully disclosed and by a reputable workshop, will reduce the resale value.

That notwithstanding, I'd seriously consider getting it repaired depending upon the cost differential. You suggested that the repair (unpainted) is around a third of the cost of a new triangle but what actual dollars are you talking i.e. $1000 vs $300 or $400 vs $130 ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Another thing to think about.... metals to varying degrees can be recycled. This is not the case with carbon, being a composite material. So any dead products go into landfill. So getting it repaired is also a greener option.
You've added a lot of good info on here over the years Duck, but this may be one of the most significant. Given the surge in carbon products across the industry, does anyone know of ways that it can be repurchased after the product's lifetime? At least the old metal frames can become cans...

moman

Likes Dirt
The local rep has really come to the table and sorted a great price on a rear triangle But for half the price of the new I can get it fixed but not painted. New makes sense as far as value for money goes but Duckmeisters words about repair rather than replace resonate with me as environmentally it does make sense.....