Carbon Saddle Rails

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys, ive been pondering over this for a little while now. carbon saddles, in particular carbon rails, ive noticed lots of fellas in XC/ Enduro and one or two in AM using them, would it be so wrong to use one for a DH bike? given that i never sit on the damn thing during a run, im a light rider and weigh in the 75kg range.

the only thing i could imagine that would be a cause for concern is a massive crash/ bail. that it would get broken, though in saying that the other option is hollow Ti or Titanox, and they would break or bend so would need a new seat anyway.

could anyone enlighten me at all?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I have been running a selle italia flite kit carbonio for over a year now, with absolutely no problems whatsoever, it is on a thomson post which accomodates the ovalised rails, be careful when choosing that your post can run them.
That said it is only 150gms and as strong and comfortable as anything, it survived several high speed stacks through rock gardens etc, without any problems!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hmmmm well that settles it. what size rails do they run?

edit: ive just grabed a bontrager race x lite carbon. just checked the user manual 7mm rails.
and thats just opened a new world of choices, and a much deeper hole in my pocket. but that can be fixed with a saturday shift

Last edited: