carbon tax? has the world gone mad.

scblack

Leucocholic
Unless we all decide to buy Australian made when we can
That sounds all nice and warm and fuzzy.:)

When did you last buy an Australian made bicycle?

When did you last buy an Australian made shirt?

When did you last buy an Australian made television?

When did you last buy Australian made shoes?

John U

MTB Precision
That sounds all nice and warm and fuzzy.:)

When did you last buy an Australian made bicycle?

When did you last buy an Australian made shirt?

When did you last buy an Australian made television?

When did you last buy Australian made shoes?
I buy Australian made if I can.

I'm wearing Australian made shoes now. Just got 'em resoled. They've been going for 5 years.

I would've purchased a Baum if they made a frame I was after.
I had a Cross Rider, purchased in about 1981 and made in Oz. Prior to that I think my first Malvern Star was actually made in Oz

I think my oldies purchased an australian made tv about 35 years ago. It was ace. Colour and everything.

My mum made me shirt once, does that count. We were living here when it happened.

:)

A lot of stuff is available if you're prepared to look around. Bunnings are a pretty good example. They seem to have an Australian made option of a lot things if they're available.

This is all a bit off track. I think regardless of how this tax ends up it's a step in the right direction, pricing carbon. I would just like to see that some of the revenue raised goes into creating more renewable energy. Subsidising low income families and impacted manufacturers, farmers, should be part of the plan but not the whole plan.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
Seventyseven. Without referring to cut and paste jobs or lengthy tedious rants complete with graphs (surely the quickest way to turn a reader off a post outside of an embedded clip of 2 girls 1 cup) can I just point out that your argument for non-action due to the presence of larger polluters is complete bullshit?

Haven't you ever heard the phrase 'leading by example'?

Slavery used to be the big thing back in the day and it helped build more than a few empires yet a handful of enlightened European countries decided to outlaw it despite it's popularity amongst rivals. Did that make much 'economic' sense at the time? Possibly? Probably not. Either way it soon filtered down the chain until ALL world countries had outlawed it.

The same can be said for commercial fishing quotas - does the presence of unscrupulous foreign fishing fleets mean that the rest of us should ignore quotas and just fish away till the oceans are as barren as Gary Glitter's friends list on Facebook?

We could probably add giving women the vote, banning tobacco advertising, establishing free/subsidised health care and the recent cries for an end to live animal exports to Indonesia to that list (amongst countless other progressive measures from throughout history)

Hell, I'll even go all Godwin on your arse and compare your policy of inaction to that of the French in WW2. On one hand you had Charles De Gaulle, who escaped into exile and kept trying to forment resistance to the Nazis throughout the War despite the impossible odds. On the other hand you had Marshall Petain and the whole Vichy government who went straight in for appeasement and inaction.
Guess which one has an airport named after him?

Every major cultural or lifestyle change has to start somewhere and if we don't want to be at the pointy end of any major environmental initiatives we should immediately stop considering ourselves as a first-world country!
have you even read my posts?

the ENTIRE TIME i've been saying why there won't BE any followers.

i remember in a previous thread you said china has virtually slave labor. aside from that being bullshit, guess what? china is the fastest growing/biggest economy on the planet. the reason so many are living so badly at the moment is NOT because of the slave labour. far, FAR from it.

It seems to me that these are the biggest advantages of a carbon tax system (as has probably already been pointed out):

• Increased incentive for individuals to reduce consumption based on higher cost of consuming carbon-footprint-heavy products/services
  • Increased incentive for industry to reduce the amount of carbon emitted to produce products/services, thereby giving themselves a competitive advantage over other competitors*
  • Putting a price on environmental resources, finally

*This is, in my opinion, going to be one of the best outcomes. If company A invests in technology to reduce the carbon footprint of producing a product, and company B does not, then company A gains a competitive advantage over company B. It has a reduced tax burden, which it can then pass on to consumers in the form of cheaper goods. Initially, this saving will be absorbed by the cost in investing in the technology, but over time the gain will begin to give company A an advantage.

It gives incentive for companies to innovate to become more focused on sustainable methods of producing goods and services.

There is a famous paper by Christopher Stone called "Should Trees Have Standing?" that looks at the issue of pricing the environment, it is definitely worth a read, and at least a mention here.

One of the biggest issues with our global economy is the unbalanced distribution of natural resources that aren't valued properly (or sometimes, valued at all).

A carbon tax is step one to putting a price on the environment. Despite its flaws, it's a great concept. The biggest issue will be how it is implemented, and whether or not the additional tax collected is reallocated in a meaningful way.
dude, i agree with you. it's a great concept. if it could be implemented everywhere then i would be all for it. but it can't. and knowing that, here's the thing: it's a per unit tax. a per unit tax is effectively an extra cost on the business. that means it's now at a competitive disadvantage to those without it. we have enough trouble keeping things in australia with the endless costs of unions, minimum wage, red tape and all manner of other bullshit without adding onto this.

This is ONLY a possibility against other Australian competitors. Unfortunately competitors are GLOBAL, not just aussie.

So a tax on carbon is giving ALL Australian businesses a competitive DISadvantage.

There is NO good outcome here.:rolleyes:
scblack gets it.

Unless we all decide to buy Australian made when we can
what that means is pay a higher price - the tax being passed on to the consumers. just like i showed pages ago.

do you care to pay a higher price when there's a whole stack of other people out there saving money AND polluting, effectively meaning that your carbon friendly shoe changes NOTHING about pollution? i'm not going to pay any extra money that doesn't change anything. and even if it would i probably wouldn't because i can both save my money and enjoy the cleaner air that all the other people paid for. it's a win-win for me. i pay the same price for shoes and all you guys buy me cleaner air. why the hell would i pay money for cleaner air when you guys already are for me?

the above is exactly why so many countries won't "follow our example" like posm seems to think they will.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
so what was your point of that huge rant
Please don’t insinuation and provocation if you intend to engage rationally.
I can’t help but think you either have a crystal ball that tells the future you forgot to tell us about or you have no concept of how a predictive model actually works. Right is not right when you are making predictions as the conclusion can, by definition only be a probability reliant on the robustness of the test. You engineered a justification of your position and have no rigor beyond your own opinion. That was my point – you have no conclusion. You all you have is an opinion that whether you accept it or not is based on a logically fallacious principle.
Furthermore you go on to deny any burden of proof:
speculation or conclusion doesn't matter, right is right
Which takes you to about the same level of intellectual integrity as a creationist or energy healer – you’re right because you are and so there.
don't try and twist my words.
Ok – verbatim:
the only time that there should be intervention is when the benefits of operating are lesser than the costs of doing so. i.e if a well pissed oil everywhere (but some was refined) and the costs of cleaning it up were greater than the savings in the oil/fuel price that this new wells supply of oil created
and when challenged on the difficulties of quantifying costs you propose:
i'd argue that they can't be quantified.
If your first proposition is to be held true – environmental degradation must be quantified – rendering your second proposition contradictory. If your second proposition is held to be true, proposition one is invalidated. How else can it be interpreted but as a contradiction?

i'd like you to expand on this. be at least a little specific.
A purported conversation is hearsay. A news article is a secondary source. It’s plenty to form an opinion on and China investigating mineral options in Africa is logical. However it’s far from concrete and even further from being a soapbox on which to rant at people using absolutes in caps lock, condescending redundancies and generally be overbearing about.
sigh. once again missing the point.
I’m not missing the point at all. You don’t really grasp the concept of logical fallacy or you do and think that pleading special case by semantics invalidates the concept for you in particular. But I’m leaving it here because this is a dead horse.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
have you even read my posts?
Yes. In fact just to reiterate, here are a few of your comments on inaction

as you can see, irrespective of what everyone else does our best option is to just keep "destroying" the environment because we either win or remain the same doing it, compared to remaining the same or losing out if we do...
for starters, you're saying that polluting is the wrong thing to do no matter what. my entire point right from the beginning has been that is BULLSHIT. it's not a matter of "is our action wrong or right". it's a question of "will doing the environmentally right thing actually change anything?". the answer, is no.
...my argument then is in fact that it would be wrong NOT to pollute our brains out if they're doing it as well. if it's going to change NOTHING by doing the "wrong" thing then we might as well have a good time with the money we can earn from doing so. not to do so would be economically irresponsible i think?
Just from a couple of posts we can pretty much define your core argument.

How about these two?

i'm not demonising china. they consume a hell of a lot of coal and chuck out a hell of a lot of carbon. they're pretty big bad guys when it comes to this.

and the past is completely irrelevant.
if your adversary (doesn't matter who) IS just polluting away doing the wrong thing (considering no matter what we do they have motivation to do this it's a pretty fair assumption. their previous behavior certainly suggests they don't give a flying fuck about polluting the air and it's not likely they're going to start shutting down the coal stations anytime soon. in short, it's pretty obvious they don't care for pollution.), then us not doing so is both going to send us (relatively speaking) broke, and leave us with loads of filthy air in the atmosphere anyways.
I thought you said the past was irrelevant? Running around in circles contradicting yourself isn't helping matters.

i remember in a previous thread you said china has virtually slave labor. aside from that being bullshit, guess what? china is the fastest growing/biggest economy on the planet. the reason so many are living so badly at the moment is NOT because of the slave labour. far, FAR from it.
I said no such thing. We had a discussion in a previous thread about union labour (or lack thereof) and the differences in wages and health and safety and wages between countries. AT NO POINT was slavery ever mentioned - you are really grasping at straws there!- and if you'd actually read MY posts you would clearly see that in the Carbon Tax discussion, the slave trade was referenced as an example of a highly profitable industry that was discontinued across the board for moral and ethical reasons.

the ENTIRE TIME i've been saying why there won't BE any followers.
Finland, The Netherlands, Sweden, India!, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Ireland and even little ole Costa Rica have all enacted levies on fossil fuels and /or carbon production in some form or another with an expressed desire to reduce carbon emissions. :rolleyes:

Now the implementation of a carbon tax is always going to be a contentious issue and I will happily admit I'm not entirely convinced by the governments motives or their methods. This is why I am not entering a debate on the effectiveness of Labor's tax. However your view that inaction is the best policy in the face of potential worldwide catastrophe really gets my goat as we are a first world democracy (and quite a successful one at that) and there are NO first world countries that have cemented their place in the world without adopting social responsibilities.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
To quote some bald headed dude

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

The carbon tax is a step in right direction for Australia.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
To quote some bald headed dude

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

The carbon tax is a step in right direction for Australia.

I still disagree with that comment. "a" carbon tax maybe, but not this one. If an ineffectual tax like this is forced upon the populous and in 5 years time it's had no significant impact, you'll lose support for this type of initiative and the cause will truly be lost.
I say go back to the drawing boards and develop a better and more effective Carbon Tax.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Funny that despite wanting carbon emissions to be lower, industry and those chasing a populist vote are the ones demanding that the tax be ineffectual.

By saying that if it increases our costs we want compensation, you ensure that the tax won't change usage behaviours. That's bloody ridiculous. The whole point of having a tax is stated as being to give a financial imperative to modify behaviour. Compensation removes that imperative and replaces it with a zero effect money churn.

Far better to levee a small tax with minimal impact and spend all the revenue on development of cleaner alternatives.

At present the only thing being generated by the proposed tax is hot air, column inches and white elephants.

Last edited:

seventyseven

Yes. In fact just to reiterate, here are a few of your comments on inaction

Just from a couple of posts we can pretty much define your core argument.

How about these two?
combine that with the fact that consumers, not producers will pay the costs and yes you're right.

I thought you said the past was irrelevant? Running around in circles contradicting yourself isn't helping matters.
perhaps i should have clarified furhter, and added current in there as well. by past i meant only the very near past. you know, like the coal power station that was built this week. and the one before it. and the one before that. and the one before that.

sure that's "technically" in the past but when you talk in large scale things such as countries and hundreds of years saying "they are doing it now" can cover a period of weeks/months.

the statement referencing the past was not the same "previous meaning last week" statement i was talking about when i said "previous behavior".

has that clarified things?

I said no such thing. We had a discussion in a previous thread about union labour (or lack thereof) and the differences in wages and health and safety and wages between countries. AT NO POINT was slavery ever mentioned - you are really grasping at straws there!- and if you'd actually read MY posts you would clearly see that in the Carbon Tax discussion, the slave trade was referenced as an example of a highly profitable industry that was discontinued across the board for moral and ethical reasons.

And not having industrial fatality rates, working hours or (lack of) wages like China. :rolleyes:

f***, even the poor sods who make iPads over there are dropping dead because of their working conditions.
perhaps you didn't use the word slave. but you're doing a pretty good job of describing it. is it not what you meant?

Finland, The Netherlands, Sweden, India!, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Ireland and even little ole Costa Rica have all enacted levies on fossil fuels and /or carbon production in some form or another with an expressed desire to reduce carbon emissions. :rolleyes:

aha. see. EXPRESSED A DESIRE. you know why they have expressed a desire rather than actually implementing it? because they know that it's a total waste of time if everyone else aren't doing it. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING.

Now the implementation of a carbon tax is always going to be a contentious issue and I will happily admit I'm not entirely convinced by the governments motives or their methods. This is why I am not entering a debate on the effectiveness of Labor's tax. However your view that inaction is the best policy in the face of potential worldwide catastrophe really gets my goat as we are a first world democracy (and quite a successful one at that) and there are NO first world countries that have cemented their place in the world without adopting social responsibilities.
my view isn't purely inaction. it's "only use action when others will too". if all the other countries out there were going to implement this if we did, i'd be all for it. but they're not now and won't in the future, (which is why i'm not all for it). i have explained, and even used examples and evidence showing why they won't.

as far as i can tell you seem to think my argument is "inaction no matter what". that's not it at all.

and this country isn't all that successful either. in fact we're looking at what is likely to be the first stages of a housing price dump & with it a recession right now. not that we don't need it but.

Last edited:

seventyseven

Funny that despite wanting carbon emissions to be lower, industry and those chasing a populist vote are the ones demanding that the tax be ineffectual.

By saying that if it increases our costs we want compensation, you ensure that the tax won't change usage behaviours. That's bloody ridiculous. The whole point of having a tax is stated as being to give a financial imperative to modify behaviour. Compensation removes that imperative and replaces it with a zero effect money churn.

Far better to levee a small tax with minimal impact and spend all the revenue on development of cleaner alternatives.

At present the only thing being generated by the proposed tax is hot air, column inches and white elephants.
i agree with everything that you're saying, BUT.

there are several carbon-intensive industries that are currently either hanging by a thread or should have fallen off the perch long ago but are only being held up by "federal assistance. i.e tax refunds. for example, manufacturing.

implementing a carbon tax would only result in them having to either pass it on to us, or the government having to give it all back minus the accounting/transaction/etc costs. when you factor in lesser demand for their products if they pump the price of their goods up, the result doesn't look all that good.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'll keep this brief as you're doing so much running around in circles you're even managing to confuse yourself...

perhaps you didn't use the word slave. but you're doing a pretty good job of describing it. is it not what you meant?
There is a big difference between harsh working conditions with low pay/minimal health and safety and kidnapping, transport across oceans in horrific cramped, disease ridden conditions with a lifetime of forced servitude to follow. That there, is the slave trade. Not that it bears any relevance to this discussion other than my original example of a handful of nations choosing ethics over economics thus resulting in a worldwide change for the better.
I don't know where the hell you were going with this when you countered by wrongly referencing a completely unrelated post on an unrelated subject. If that's how this argument is going, I'm going to counter with the undefeatable logic that the Dukes of Hazzard movie could have been f***ing awesome if they hadn't used that ridiculous doe-eyed muppet Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke!

aha. see. EXPRESSED A DESIRE. you know why they have expressed a desire rather than actually implementing it? because they know that it's a total waste of time if everyone else aren't doing it. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING
Err. That's a list of countries that have already implemented a 'carbon tax' in one form of another. Y'know? as in they've already put it in motion. Finland have had measures like this in place for over 20 years! :rolleyes:

And Ok, yeah I know your view is really 'inaction unless everyone else does it first' but quite frankly that sounds like the most cowardly, spineless thing I have ever heard. If the world was a schoolyard, you'd have Australia being the weedy, nasty kid who sucks up the arse of the local bully earning nothing but contempt from all around him.

Now in an effort to avoid being misquoted again, I was going to put all this in a graph in the hope that it may be more understandable. Unfortunately I can't find one so here's a picture of Daisy Duke instead:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
whoah. She has mega sunburnt thighs!

I wouldn't be smiling like that if my skin had been flayed off.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
i agree with everything that you're saying, BUT.

there are several carbon-intensive industries that are currently either hanging by a thread or should have fallen off the perch long ago but are only being held up by "federal assistance. i.e tax refunds. for example, manufacturing.

implementing a carbon tax would only result in them having to either pass it on to us, or the government having to give it all back minus the accounting/transaction/etc costs. when you factor in lesser demand for their products if they pump the price of their goods up, the result doesn't look all that good.
If they're that carbon intensive then either we ought to be paying a premium for them, or they should have gone the way of the dodo long ago. If it's an industry that we need, but it's rooting the planet, then it ought to cost a bomb, that way we'll actively seek alternatives. If we don't need it, then it can die in a ditch like many other dead industries. If you work in that field, suck it up and get over it. Don't like it, go whinge to the asbestos miners, the pattern makers and wheel tappers. If your industry isn't sustainable then, sorry, not my job to prop you up sunshine...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
whoah. She has mega sunburnt thighs!

I wouldn't be smiling like that if my skin had been flayed off.
Hey, it's an old photo. That's just a combination of shitty lighting and the effects of age on old photos.

Just to be certain I have spent a great deal of this afternoon studying other photos of Ms Duke and I can confirm that her thighs are usually more of a luscious bronze.