Carbon wheels - feedback/discussion...

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello mob! I'm considering buying a carbon wheelset for the next bike. If anyone has used them or has constructive discussion - please respond.

I'm planning on running them on a 26er, 100mm dually for XC and Enduro purposes. I'm no lightweight, but still only 78kg, and a fairly aggressive rider.

Specifically I'm tossing up between:

The EXC 1550 use a 400g rim (the EXC 400) - this is the same weight as the rim used in the Edge Composites AM series wheelset (http://www.edgecomposites.com/wheels/mtb/am.aspx). Somehow - Edge claim that their wheelset built on DT 240 hubs will weigh a total of 1425g, whereas the EXC 1550 wheelset is apparently built also on DT 240 hubs, with the same weight rims - and somehow weighs 1550g - work that one out??? Not really important I suppose.

The main point of difference between the two brands seems to be that Edge use molded spoke nipple holes, whereas DT Swiss use stainless inserts for eyelets. This causes Edge to specify a 2 cross lacing pattern to ensure no interference between the spoke and the rim (as 3 cross would leave the rim at too great of an angle rubbing on the carbon). Both DT Swiss wheelsets allow a 3 cross pattern of lacing.

Edge are tubeless non-ready - a bit of a downer. As the Edge rims have access to the spoke (for tensioning etc) via the bead well (i.e. under the rim strip), you can't easily and practically run a rim strip and tubeless set up. I still would but! DT Swiss are not UST, but the placement of the nipples in traditional position makes them more suitable to rim strips.

My dilemma also relates to the duty of the wheelset. As can be seen on the Edge website - Greg Minnaar just took victory at Maribor, the first DH World Cup round of the season. He was running the Edge AM rims... So if they are up to this duty, then I am leaning towards the XRC 1350, or the Edge XC Series. A bit of internet grave-digging shows that both Sam Hill and Greg Minnaar were using the EXC 400 rims as far back as May 2009, Edge obviously has stolen the limelight in DH at least (http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/05/08/new-dt-swiss-carbon-rim-xc-am-mountain-bike-wheels/). Other Santa Cruz DH riders appear to be running the Edge rims as well on the new carbon V10's.

Reviews I've found:

http://twentynineinches.com/2008/12/12/edge-composites-wheels-midterm-update/ - there are a few linked at the bottom of the page also relating to Edge rims.

Comment away... I haven't discussed the price on purpose, as it makes me ill...

DW-1

Dirt Works
DT Swiss do not recommend their carbon rims be used with tubeless conversion systems.

Elvis.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DT Swiss do not recommend their carbon rims be used with tubeless conversion systems.

Elvis.
Is there any particular reason??? I can only think that some tubeless solutions may make their way into the carbon fibre material??? Or that initial pressures used to seat beads (hey I sometimes have to pump up to 60 PSI) exceed the maximum recommended pressures for the wheelsets???

It seems they have created super light, super stiff wheelsets, that are obviously aimed at racers and weight-weenies - both whom rep tubeless at every opportunity...

Ivan

Eats Squid
Two other carbon wheelsets to consider are the Easton Haven and Syncros FL carbon.

The Haven may be a bit heavy, but they are UST compatable I beleive.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Two other carbon wheelsets to consider are the Easton Haven and Syncros FL carbon.

The Haven may be a bit heavy, but they are UST compatable I beleive.
Mate you just sunk my battelship with those Haven's (http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Introducing-the-Easton-Haven-Carbon-Wheelset,78). They are even lighter than the EXC 1550's - coming in at 1450g according to that review - AND the first UST carbon wheelset available - AND cheaper...

As for Syncros - they went off my list of rims years ago... Me no likey...

Ivan

Eats Squid
Mate you just sunk my battelship with those Haven's (http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Introducing-the-Easton-Haven-Carbon-Wheelset,78). They are even lighter than the EXC 1550's - coming in at 1450g according to that review - AND the first UST carbon wheelset available - AND cheaper...

As for Syncros - they went off my list of rims years ago... Me no likey...

Oops, when I said they were a littlec heavy, I was thinking of the Aluminium wheels at 1650g. The carbon havens are pretty light as you mentioned. The video on Vital is pretty cool too.

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone else? Yeah I really felt the love watching that video! Other manufacturers should take note of what it means to customers to see their gear being put together by hand...

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Edge, all the way (well if you have the money). If I had the spare coin I would look at building a pair up. From reading, they are easy to set up tubeless too. As for the XC v AM...I would go with the AM as nothing is going to make you cry faster then destroying a $1200 rim.

Not to rubbish the DT stuff, but Red Racer destroyed a rear during the Red Centre enduro... and he is someone who is very smooth on the bike. The wheel held up for the stage after the damage, but it was still toast.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Edge, all the way (well if you have the money). If I had the spare coin I would look at building a pair up. From reading, they are easy to set up tubeless too. As for the XC v AM...I would go with the AM as nothing is going to make you cry faster then destroying a $1200 rim.

Not to rubbish the DT stuff, but Red Racer destroyed a rear during the Red Centre enduro... and he is someone who is very smooth on the bike. The wheel held up for the stage after the damage, but it was still toast.
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd he ran it tubeless.

Elvis.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Elvis, can you explain why some brands dont want you to run them tubeless ?

Assuming it has something to do with the chemicals in the sealant ?

What about running tubeless tyres without sealant. Would it still be a no ?

The forces applied to a rim would be the same, tubeless or not, yeah ?

Very curious ......:confused:

beno

Cycle Solutions
id say its because of impacts with the rim, carbon is very rigid and can shatter or crack with a direct hit. Running lower pressures as you do in a ust setup the rim will get more hits without the protection of the air in the tube to cushion the blow.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"High Modulus Polyethylene) composite secured by MRES-B resin which produces incredibly durable, yet light rims. By controlling the amount of resin used, weight is reduced, but with the HMPE technology, impact resistance is considerably increased, which is necessary in an off-road rim application. Lab-based impact tests have shown the rim durability."

Extract from Vitalmtb website.

It seems that some manufacturers are doing something to fix the problem.

High tech plastics and carbon fibre. Who would have thought ?

Still waiting for a legit reason......

T-Rex

Template denier
My dilemma also relates to the duty of the wheelset. As can be seen on the Edge website - Greg Minnaar just took victory at Maribor, the first DH World Cup round of the season. He was running the Edge AM rims... So if they are up to this duty, then I am leaning towards the XRC 1350, or the Edge XC Series. ...
My very limited contribution:

Remember that Minnaar only has to get those rims to do a single race run.

It's amazing the beating that a rim will take if it's laced properly. I disassembled a MTX which was on the back of my son's DH bike, it was still working fine with a crack clean through the join, a crack most of the way through the valve hole, a couple of cracks around spoke holes, and too many dings and flat spots to count.

I'm the same weight as you, similar agressive XC style, I'm using a DT Swiss rim that weighs about 430 grams (Cant remember the model) laced with 1.5/2.0 DB spokes, and it's holding up fine.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Feebback on Enduro riders running 2-cross spoke lacing???

Hmmm - are their any riders out there running a 2-cross spoke pattern on both wheels (fr & rr)?

The Edge rims can only be laced 2-cross due to the angle of the spoke port (it is specifically angled for 2-cross pattern). Any other pattern and the spoke interferes with the carbon moulded spoke port...

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone interested I ordered a set of wheels today - they arrive Thursday ready for Sunday's Mt Perry 6hr!

Edge Composites XC Series (26", Clincher (32h rr & fr), DT 240s hubs (fr 20mm axle, rr disc brake thru bolt (10x135mm RWS thru bolt)), DT areolite spooks (black), Pillar internal spook nipples)

I decided on the XC Series as the AM Series are simply too wide to run tyres less than 2.25" width due to the resultant poor bag profile of the mounted tyre...

I'll update this thread with review in a few months...

Update: Wheels delayed by a week :(...

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Edge Composites XC Series (26", Clincher (32h rr & fr), DT 240s hubs (fr 20mm axle, rr disc brake thru bolt (10x135mm RWS thru bolt)), DT areolite spooks (black), Pillar internal spook nipples).
Nice.... will be very interested to see how you get on wiith these

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work, eyes!

I rode the edge AM rims in whistler bike park the other week on a carbon V10. I'm always a skeptic and was so impressed that I would shell out for the DH rims as soon as they are available (my friend was riding the dh rims) - if i could afford them and not end up divorced! Most of the 10 prototype bikes had edge rims (setup with 2 ply minions and dh tubes) and there were plenty of big, nasty pinchflat style hits and all rims were in brand new condition afterwards. In fact the engineer from edge stated that the syndicate are yet to trash one and other sponsored riders have run a whole season without even having to true the wheel. Funny how they state on their website that the AM rim is not to be used for dh and yet have faith enough to run them on a 10inch bike in the bike park!

DT rims seem the goods too for anyone interested, I have a customer on a 2 year old set that still look mint despite his high km's on them and the fact that the north shore seems to kill everything. He also has a set of Edge AM's though!