AM Carbony Nomad goodness

ChopSticks

Banned
Looking forward to seeing the finished photos!!!
Are those straightline bar ends?
any ideas on weight?

I hope I get to see this around OMV when I'm able to get back on the bike....

markb84

Likes Dirt
The whole bike...minus weight of bar ends :)
No idea. Definitely less than a horse though, they're quite weighty but much easier up hills. I've never weighed it. People are usually suprised at how light it is given the level of hardcoreness (it's a word). The bar ends may change that though.....

markb84

Likes Dirt
Fresh from a nice long Sunday ride and a post ride wash. Here she is in all her glory. Sorry about the quality, iPhone pics.

Only item left anytime soon is new Saint cranks which are now on order, these ones will be moving over to the hardtail.

nomad c4.jpgnomad c3.jpgnomad c2.jpg

markb84

Likes Dirt
Not many changes, thought it was time for an update.

New tyres front and rear
Schwalbe Rock Razor on the back in Pacestar compound, rolls and corners wonderfully.
Schwalbe Magic Mary on the front in trailstar compound, grips like shit on fur.

Not much else changed apart from the suspension setup, started playing around a bit and running less sag. Rides much better, not as plush over the little stuff but overall performance is so much better. Needs a bit of getting used to.

Next thing on the list is to go over to a narrow wide ring and ditch the guide.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Bps Forks

Sweet bike mate, love my nomad too. Interested to hear more about the forks, I've got 2011 fox 36 talas on mine. Did you buy them in Australia? I've been told rouler are the importers but they only have downhill forks on their site and none of the Aussie online shops advertise as stocking them either..

markb84

Likes Dirt
Sweet bike mate, love my nomad too. Interested to hear more about the forks, I've got 2011 fox 36 talas on mine. Did you buy them in Australia? I've been told rouler are the importers but they only have downhill forks on their site and none of the Aussie online shops advertise as stocking them either..
I got mine second hand. They were originally bought in Cairns though.

They are fantastic forks, I'm continually surprised at how good they are. They complement the CCDB Air really well. I've reached that rare point in a mountain bikers life that I'm really very happy with how my bike rides.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Next thing on the list is to go over to a narrow wide ring and ditch the guide.
Personally I wouldn't run JUST a narrow-wide. I've seen too many come off and then an ensuing crash.

Why not just run a top-guide if you want less clutter? It's a nice build as a short bike to tackle DH gnar (Saints again!), but no weenie build so I'm guessing its not due to weight savings.

Very nice bike regardless, its interesting to read how you found the DBair damper as a match to the Nomad VPP curve. I've just picked up a V10c (very different spring ratio curve) that's tailored around a Vivid air, curious how they've set up their other bikes.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Db air

I've got the DB air cs on mine and the difference vs the rp23 is unreal. So much more controlled and the adjustments actually make noticeable changes with every click unlike the rp23. I have run an rc4 on my nomad also and find minimal difference against the db air on DH stuff

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
I got mine second hand. They were originally bought in Cairns though.

They are fantastic forks, I'm continually surprised at how good they are. They complement the CCDB Air really well. I've reached that rare point in a mountain bikers life that I'm really very happy with how my bike rides.
Do you know from which shop in cairns mate? These does are bloody hard to find.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Have you tried contacting the distributor. Whenever I want to buy gear but can't find a retailer I contact the distributor, they're normally really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

markb84

Likes Dirt
Personally I wouldn't run JUST a narrow-wide. I've seen too many come off and then an ensuing crash.

Why not just run a top-guide if you want less clutter? It's a nice build as a short bike to tackle DH gnar (Saints again!), but no weenie build so I'm guessing its not due to weight savings.
The cSixx is quite noisy, I had an MRP G2 as well before this and it was noisy at the extremes of the cassette too. I just want it to be quieter. I love it when my bike runs really silent (apart from the really noisy Hope pro2 which I like)

When I ditch the cSixx I intend to stick on a blackspire ISCG mounted bashie, may well change over to one of the other ISCGs that has the top guide if what you say is true.
its interesting to read how you found the DBair damper as a match to the Nomad VPP curve. I've just picked up a V10c (very different spring ratio curve) that's tailored around a Vivid air, curious how they've set up their other bikes.
Going from the RP23 on a heckler to RP23 on a Nomad it felt like I was going backwards. The single pivot design of the heckler actually suited the RP23 better.

Since building this I've had a go on a couple of other nomads, one with an RP23, one with a DHX Air. Neither felt anywhere near as nice as this. I think the range of tune for the CCDB Air and the quality of workmanship allow you to get the perfect tune for most bikes.
I'd imagine that the V10c would feel pretty great with one?

markb84

Likes Dirt
Update

So a few changes recently.

1. Gone narrow/wide with a works 34t - looking forward to seeing how the 34t works for me.
2. ditched the cSixx full guide in favour of a home modified MRP G2, top guide only.
3. Mavic rear wheel gone in favour of a Syntace W35. Cannot believe the weight difference, when I was transferring I had the tyre and disc on and the syntace was still lighter than the stripped Mavic! So far, so good in riding. I'll see how it goes for a while before I do the front too.
4. Sugru chainstay protector. This stuff is amazing, no noise at all and it's put up with plenty of rides. So much better than the neoprene chain stay protector I had before.
5. Rock Razor gone. Great grip but too flimsy, high roller on in the interim whilst I decide what to fit.

IMG_1982.jpgIMG_2025.jpgIMG_2026.jpgIMG_2027.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
So, it's been a few months in the making but the Nomad C is now complete and riding beautifully!

View attachment 257906
Awesome bike mate, gotta love the BOS forks. I miss my Idylle's.

Question please: I note in later pics you have ditched the Gold steerer spacers. What have you done with them? I'm looking to bling up my bike with Gold bits, and thought I'd take the odd chance you have them just sitting around waiting for a nice fella like me to take them off your hands.

Please let me know.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I have them still, currently being used on my nicolai. I'm putting new forks on that soon though so I'll let you know. What size do you need? I think I have a 5,10 and 20

Sent from my iPhone

scblack

Leucocholic
I have them still, currently being used on my nicolai. I'm putting new forks on that soon though so I'll let you know. What size do you need? I think I have a 5,10 and 20

Sent from my iPhone
Awesome please do let me know. No idea on size off the bat, but I'd guess 5 & 10. I'll PM you this weekend. I just replaced my FoRide stem so I'll measure up what's needed now.

Cheers.