Careful on the trails

Three

Likes Bikes
We all know the dangers of riding trails, like don't hit big stuff if your not confident or snakes and so on.

But other dangers are out there. Over the past few months, myself and a mate have come across a couple issues at one of our regular trails.
Back in August as we were leaving the trail, Police and emergency services swooped in on the area and uncovered something like $85 millions worth of drugs. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...n-adelaide-hills/story-fni6uo1m-1226697856690

And just yesterday a couple mates came across someone trying to end it all in their car with a hose attached to the exhaust. They pulled the hose out and called the cops and ambos. The ambos got there and were talking to the guy, then suddenly high tailed it away and left it up the the cops because the guy had a firearm.

So just to remind everyone, we often ride in remote places where other dangerous shit can happen. Careful on the trails.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
the things you see out there

yeah freaky

I came across some hillbilly deliverance folks with shotguns and dogs in the forestry west of Cooroy in the early 80s. Came across a guy who took his own life up on Mt Cootha around 1990 complete with note, carefully groomed and layout area and needle still in his arm. I also remember some 4 x 4 yahoos who refused to give me a lift out of the bush after I had an accident and cut through my bicep, lost alot of blood and was in shock.

These days all I see are tiger snakes and naked men rodgering each other along the Yarra in gip masks while chained to a tree

I stumbled across this when I was walking my dog. Guy standing in the forest surrounded by police waving a gun around and holding it to his head. I came in from the top of the hill and couldn't see all the police at the bottom and almost walked straight up to the guy with the gun, until I realized what was going on.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez, all of sudden the tropics sound delightful.. We only have stinging tree and wait-a-while to deal with.....:jaw:

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
...and a motard who's systematically turning the trails to shit...

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
There's somethin'coming in my AYUP light
I'm so scared in case I fall off my bike,
And I'm wondering if I'll ride up that hike,
Greenies to the left of me,
Motos to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you....etc

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I was riding with the dog out in the middle of nowhere, found some mad hippy festival, went home got the missus and kid and went back and partied on.

My local area Gap Creek has numerous beware of the wild dogs signs around,
About 12 months ago when I first started night riding,
I was riding solo at around 12AM (enjoy the late night rides, get the whole place to yourself.

As i started to climb out the forest and head home the light ran out of battery, so I had about a 45min walk in the pitch dark. DOGS HOWLING. Not one or two but numerous howls and barks, in different directions and all within a kilometre by my ears

Genuinely felt a good chill down my spine, and very vulnerable the forest.

Once my eyes adjusted I rode balls to the wall up that fire road, thankfully the moon was bright on this night.

About a month later around the same time (12am), I saw some bizarre ball of light floating in the forest, orange in colour and about the size of a soccer ball. There was just one and it kind of danced around between the trees, not 50 metres away, and then just vanished after a few seconds. I froze stiff, felt cold suddenly - hopped on my bike and I've never pedalled so hard. Surprised I didn't bend the cranks. Nearing the road (high wood road), I look over my shoulder and see it again, further in the distance. Didn't stop to examine it I just gunned it home.

Never been night riding since, sold my Moon 1500 lights on ebay

Happy night rides

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
My local area Gap Creek has numerous beware of the wild dogs signs around,
About 12 months ago when I first started night riding,
I was riding solo at around 12AM (enjoy the late night rides, get the whole place to yourself.

As i started to climb out the forest and head home the light ran out of battery, so I had about a 45min walk in the pitch dark. DOGS HOWLING. Not one or two but numerous howls and barks, in different directions and all within a kilometre by my ears

Genuinely felt a good chill down my spine, and very vulnerable the forest.

Once my eyes adjusted I rode balls to the wall up that fire road, thankfully the moon was bright on this night.

About a month later around the same time (12am), I saw some bizarre ball of light floating in the forest, orange in colour and about the size of a soccer ball. There was just one and it kind of danced around between the trees, not 50 metres away, and then just vanished after a few seconds. I froze stiff, felt cold suddenly - hopped on my bike and I've never pedalled so hard. Surprised I didn't bend the cranks. Nearing the road (high wood road), I look over my shoulder and see it again, further in the distance. Didn't stop to examine it I just gunned it home.

Never been night riding since, sold my Moon 1500 lights on ebay

Happy night rides

Did you call Mulder and Scully?

Patio

Likes Bikes
Funniest thing I've come across on the trails was riding in a national park one morning I surprised this naturist dude out for a run wearing nothing but his Dunlop Volleys and specs. Even funnier still would have been the look on his face when he encountered the Parks 4WD with four blokes in it that I passed a few minutes later that was heading his way! Just one example of how I've been amazed with people who get out into a major national park close to a capital city and think they are alone and can do what they want.