Carolyn McKinlay R.I.P.

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Although it is not my place, I feel that the Mountain Biking community should be aware that Carolyn McKinlay who was, with her husband David, one of CORC's DH Co-ordinators, passed away last week at the extremely young age of 46.
Many of you may not know her but you would have been the beneficiary of both her and her huband David's tireless work, along with others, preparing Mt Stromlo for Club, State, National and International Races.
She was the face of compassion, care, kindness and handled all that was put in her hands with good grace and humour.
Many of you would have been patched up and/or put back onto your bikes by her. If you were down she would be there with the cheery word and a smile encouraging you to go on.
Mountain Biking and especially Canberra mountain biking, has lost a truly wonderful and dedicated person who volunteered selflessly and worked in the background to make sure that our races went off smoothly including this years WORLD CHAMPS.
Please keep the family, her husband David and her two boys, in your thoughts. The world is a much poorer place for her passing.
:(
For those of you who can't put her name to the face I have attached two photos of her at the request of WSMTBVP.

Attachments

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats terrible news.

May peace come to her family and friends, futhermore may Carolyn rest in eternal peace.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
There will be a memorial service on Friday 5 June at Yarralumla behind the nursery. 10:30 for 11am

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...091112&spn=0.000835,0.001699&t=h&z=20&iwloc=A

Apologies mtbmamma, I had a thread up saying that she had had a stroke but had neglected to update it when she passed away. As you may appreciate there's a lot of folks who are still stunned that someone who has been so much of a rock to so many of us is no longer here.

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
There will be a memorial service on Friday 5 June at Yarralumla behind the nursery. 10:30 for 11am

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...091112&spn=0.000835,0.001699&t=h&z=20&iwloc=A

Apologies mtbmamma, I had a thread up saying that she had had a stroke but had neglected to update it when she passed away. As you may appreciate there's a lot of folks who are still stunned that someone who has been so much of a rock to so many of us is no longer here.
I know and I'm one of them. Thank you. Where is your thread please?

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Carolyn McKinlay DNF

All NSW/ACT races will hold a minutes silence at next rounds at presentations to thank a wonderfull MTB person
Steve Humphreys Chairman NSWMTB

Sam.

Eats Squid
:( R.I.P. A sad day for Mountain Biking in Australia. I've only entered one CORC race, but it was organised down to the minute and everything ran smoothly. Again, a massive loss to the Mountain Bike world.

My condolences to her family, put on a good show at the World Champs for Carolyn:)

stevenw

Pro Rider
I remember Carolyn when we would go to Canberra to race. We always would say how lovely Carolyn is, she was always smiling, always helpful and would often take the time to say hello. She would often come and talk to Rhys and I always thought that was great. She was a lovely, lovely, lady and will be sadly missed by all.

My condolences to her family. She will be sadly missed not only in Canberra but in Queensland as well.

lavis77

Likes Bikes
We were so sad to hear of Carolyn's passing, she was a truely special person and she will be sadly missed. Nothing was ever to much trouble and she was one of the most generous people I have met. Our condolences to her family who I know she was so proud of.

Lynn and Daniel Lavis

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
As it has been said, a great loss to our sport. People like Carolyn and the people around her make things happen and their tireless work makes our day the best it can be. A great person, a great asset to anyone who knew her and a great loss for everyone.
Her family and friends can hold their heads high knowing that they spent some quality years with a super quality person. R.I.P Carolyn.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
Do something good....

Perhaps a fitting way to remember Carolyn is to donate some time to a local race, offer to volunteer or otherwise extend the hand of friendship and support to your fellow rider/volunteer/race crew etc.

Carolyn was kind, generous, had time for everyone and gave so much for our sport that while we will miss her, we can continue to do something good in her memory. I will be.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Perhaps a fitting way to remember Carolyn is to donate some time to a local race, offer to volunteer or otherwise extend the hand of friendship and support to your fellow rider/volunteer/race crew etc.

Carolyn was kind, generous, had time for everyone and gave so much for our sport that while we will miss her, we can continue to do something good in her memory. I will be.
From the CORC side, you can expect an annual memorial race for Carolyn, plus negotiations have started with ACT Govt for a memorial garden and bench seats overlooking the DH course at Stromlo.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
I had been considering that for the last few days- you beat me to it!
Happy to help as needed.
Perhaps any profits from the race could be channeled into a DH junior devt fund - maybe similar to the XC junior scheme?
:)

Last edited:

jc1

Squid
From the CORC side, you can expect an annual memorial race for Carolyn, plus negotiations have started with ACT Govt for a memorial garden and bench seats overlooking the DH course at Stromlo.
That would be perfect right at the top of the National/Worlds DH track.

I'm stunned. I'm from WA and only met her( and work with her at the top of the DH) four times and each time she impressed me more and more with her attitude and her passion for our sport. I'll be back in Canberra for the worlds and I'll miss not seeing her there.

My condolences to her family and to her friends at CORC.

photopirate

Cannon Fodder
Carolyn was a dear friend to our entire family. She was my children's Joey Scout leader for many years. Her name appears on a Honor board at the head quarters in Garran for her 10 years service to Scouting. She introduced me to the world of Scouting were we both worked together as Leaders. Zoo & Mitchell have been friends forever. I can blame Carolyn for finding my sons true passion in DH & by extension having me sacrafice my Sundays photographing DH, so I could enjoy the sport as well.

She will be sadly missed. Dave, Mitchell & Zoo our family is here for you all.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Sensational stuff. I was hoping there would be something like this organised.
Sorry I couldn't be there for the memorial today. Would have liked to say goodbye. She was great.