cash splurgers - tell your stories here

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
in contrast to the tightass thread (which does nothing but make me rage) i thought i'd start a "i'm not some fucking scrooge dickhead" thread.

i'll start: i took my mates into town to get smashed, and charged them NO fuel money because i can afford $4.

fancy that!

enjoi

Likes Bikes
When fuel is cheap, I'll pay the extra 4c a litre NOT to line up behind 30 trillion muppets at the bowsers.

Its sterile and I like the taste

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
When I was a young lad and I first moved out of home, with my first dole payment I thought I'd splurge and get myself a nice bottle of aftershave.

I went into the ritzy aftershave shop, found one I liked for only $25.00.
"This one please"
"Would you like it wrapped sir"?
"Well, why not"
The lady wrapped it up and handed it to me and said "That's $250.00 please sir"

I was so embarrassed that I didn't want to admit to not knowing what I had just done that I simply handed my card over and paid for it.

The first two weeks in my new sharehouse were spent eating rice with tomato sauce for breakfast lunch and tea.
But boy did I smell like a million bucks.

scblack

Leucocholic
When I was a young lad and I first moved out of home, with my first dole payment I thought I'd splurge and get myself a nice bottle of aftershave.

I went into the ritzy aftershave shop, found one I liked for only $25.00.
"This one please"
"Would you like it wrapped sir"?
"Well, why not"

I was so embarrassed that I didn't want to admit to not knowing what I had just done that I simply handed my card over and paid for it.

The first two weeks in my new sharehouse were spent eating rice with tomato sauce for breakfast lunch and tea.
But boy did I smell like a million bucks.
I did a similar thing when I was about 20 years old. Went into Grace Bros. (what Myer was called in NSW at the time), and found a very nice baseball style leather jacket, the ones with a C on the left chest. That looks good for $39.00 I thought. Went to the counter with $40.00 and the lady then asked me for $390.00. I walked away very embarrassed.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
When it comes to bikes, I have no restraint.....

I always use premium for my gutless little hatchback.

Reduces engine wear and overall running cost. Better fuel economy with premium.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I live by the mantra of pay more now, spend less later.

Hence I have nice, quality stuff that doesn't break while my mates keep buying the cheaper versions, replacing them later on.

But I may have impulse bought a Giant Omnium....

seventyseven

today i spent $27 buying lunch (man was this a feast).

not a single fuck was given.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know a bloke who did something similar with wine. He was having a BBQ and bought 4 cases of a wine he thought was $100 a case, was in a hurry and didn't check the visa slip.

His guests were stoked chugging wine that was $100 a bottle!

Lorday

Eats Squid
I guess I'm consider a splurger then. Although I am a Uni student I have a steady income. I have no hesatations paying for friends lunches/movie tickets if they're short on cash. Why? Friends > Money. When they have the money they'll shout me something, or do me a favour (like give me a lift home cause I've got a flat and no tubes, or I'm drunk). Probably says more about my friends.

I try to always buy quality. "The only time you'll regret buying quality is the day you pay for it"

mtb1611

Seymour
I turned 40 a few months back. I had ARGUMENTS with mates because they objected to the fact that entry, food and grog was all on me that night; the way I figured it, I wanted my mates there to help me celebrate, as opposed to wanting them to pay to help me celebrate. "No no that's f#@!ed it's not your responsibility to pay for my booze". Nothing to do with repsonsibility, gathering my buds to celebrate was my present to myself. Cost me a fair amount of dosh but I had one of the best nights of my life, so as far as I'm concerned it was money well spent. Incidentally, the three who objected ended up being the three who ate and drank the most!

In additon, I object to being asked to bring something when I'm invited to someone's place for lunch or dinner. If you're invited my house, you don't bring anything but your good self - I want you there for your company, not your steak or alcohol and I will forcibly make you take it hoem if you dare bring said goods. It really pisses me off when I get an invite and then an email or sms asking that I bring salad, steak, whatever; this to me says "I'd really like you to eat at my house, but only if you bring your own food". It's essentially an invitation to use someone's crockery, cutlery and furniture!

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I'm a cash splurger... When I'm old and on my death bed, I'd rather have good memories of friends + good times rather than a big bank account.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I'm a cash splurger... When I'm old and on my death bed, I'd rather have good memories of friends + good times rather than a big bank account.
+1
I'm quoting someone else but:
"Life is not a game to see who has the most money when the game ends"

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I try to always buy quality. "The only time you'll regret buying quality is the day you pay for it"
I read this the other day and used it on a customer yesterday...worked a treat. :)

It's so true though. When I was young, I was taught "Always buy the best you can afford", and since then I always have, and have always loved whatever it is i've spent my money on. I've had friends - one in particular - who will scrimp on everything, and always end up with either with a product they're not 100% happy with and will eventually end up upgrading anyway, or will just be disappointed with that will then lead to a disliking of whatever it is they're doing (riding, surfing, skiing, etc). These same people are the ones who won't ever offer to pay for food/petrol/beers, and who are always annoyed that what they're using doesn't stand up to the quality of what everyone else is using...whilst they're on the same income.

To me, this whole argument also comes down to dignity. I would prefer to have a few dollars less in my bank account but mates who know I won't cheap out on them, and who prefer to spend time with me because of a lack of frugality (not using me, just not having to worry about always needing to lend me money or me being a tosser if by saying 'too bad' if they are a few bucks short) than to be known as that prick of a customer who demands a discount (and who therefore becomes known as the cheapskate who no one wants to deal with, or puts all the employees in that awkward position of having to say 'no' because the product is already heavily discounted), or the annoying friend who can never pay his own way because he's too fixated on himself and his own funds. The OP is exactly right; the tightass thread does nothing but highlight those who are exactly that...guys who don't just want to save a few bucks on the odd occassion because they can't afford the rent this week, but are actually continual, undignified and self-glorifying tightasses.

End rant. High-horse dismembered and blended into glue. To be sold for a healthy profit.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My name is Steve and I'm a cash splurger.

Mainly suffer from a very bad case of impulse buying and I always try to buy the best. Put the two together and it's put me in a not so fun place!!

Lastest purchase was a $340 wireless headphones because i hate getting tangled in cords on the computer. Sennheiser HDR160's sound wicked and i use them alot but really... no need... All my tools are top notch and i nearly forked out for a $800 Festool cordless drill... until my car broke down. My multimeter is $1100 RRP and my boots are Top of the line oliver AT's, Fair enough work pays for most of my stuff but you get the point lol. I also eat nearly $20 of food a day because i couldnt be bothered to make my own lunch.

It's good in a way because i have really nice quality tools and my shit doesn't break. BUT credit cards suck the fat one. I'm jumping ship to the tightarse thread this year so that next year i can rejoin this thread worry free!!!

Oh, when I get drunk with a wallet full of cash... it's usually drinks on me.

indica

Serial flasher
I spent $300 on brakes when I dodn't order them, I wanted a new groupset but did not order the brakes, they came and were put on the bike, yeah, why not?

seventyseven

I read this the other day and used it on a customer yesterday...worked a treat. :)

It's so true though. When I was young, I was taught "Always buy the best you can afford", and since then I always have, and have always loved whatever it is i've spent my money on. I've had friends - one in particular - who will scrimp on everything, and always end up with either with a product they're not 100% happy with and will eventually end up upgrading anyway, or will just be disappointed with that will then lead to a disliking of whatever it is they're doing (riding, surfing, skiing, etc). These same people are the ones who won't ever offer to pay for food/petrol/beers, and who are always annoyed that what they're using doesn't stand up to the quality of what everyone else is using...whilst they're on the same income.

To me, this whole argument also comes down to dignity. I would prefer to have a few dollars less in my bank account but mates who know I won't cheap out on them, and who prefer to spend time with me because of a lack of frugality (not using me, just not having to worry about always needing to lend me money or me being a tosser if by saying 'too bad' if they are a few bucks short) than to be known as that prick of a customer who demands a discount (and who therefore becomes known as the cheapskate who no one wants to deal with, or puts all the employees in that awkward position of having to say 'no' because the product is already heavily discounted), or the annoying friend who can never pay his own way because he's too fixated on himself and his own funds. The OP is exactly right; the tightass thread does nothing but highlight those who are exactly that...guys who don't just want to save a few bucks on the odd occassion because they can't afford the rent this week, but are actually continual, undignified and self-glorifying tightasses.

End rant. High-horse dismembered and blended into glue. To be sold for a healthy profit.
at least i'm not the only one that hates tightasses.

i do make sure i never, ever, ever do them any favours. like the one dickhead that wouldn't LOAN me (fuck imagine GIVING someone a $1? fancy that!) a $1 for the parking so i didn't have to go to a shop and split a note, because i still owed him 70c from something else equally as trivial.

same douches car was having heater issues. i made sure he shelled out $300 for a mechanic to fix it. all it was was no coolant running through the heating element (it had been bypassed due to a leak).

'tards don't realise who they're hurting the most.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
In additon, I object to being asked to bring something when I'm invited to someone's place for lunch or dinner. If you're invited my house, you don't bring anything but your good self - I want you there for your company, not your steak or alcohol and I will forcibly make you take it hoem if you dare bring said goods. It really pisses me off when I get an invite and then an email or sms asking that I bring salad, steak, whatever; this to me says "I'd really like you to eat at my house, but only if you bring your own food". It's essentially an invitation to use someone's crockery, cutlery and furniture!
When I am invited over for a dinner, bbq, whatever, I always bring a bottle of good wine or similar. Purely out of manners, it was the way I was brought up.

However, what does piss me off is when the host goes out of their way to remind me to bring something. I mean fuck off, do you honestly think I'm there just to freeload? I usually turn down the invitation when this occurs.

wombat

Lives in a hole
When I am invited over for a dinner, bbq, whatever, I always bring a bottle of good wine or similar. Purely out of manners, it was the way I was brought up.
That, and you don't have to run the risk of drinking shitty grog!

At the NYE party I was at, one of the guests, who was in the area on holidays, decided to help with the grog shopping by bringing along a couple of cases of Moet (although I can't say I'm really a fan) and a $450 bottle of tequila. It was lovely, almost smooth like a good whiskey, but I'll be fucked if I was even aware that you could spend that much on tequila!