Cassette skipping on new chain

BT180

Max Pfaff
That's why I was mentioning the fact it's a KMC. Maybe I'd have been better with an eagle specific chain?
Nah, I just fitted an X01 chain on mine. Was the first chain replacement since new, so it was almost 10 months old and stretched to buggery. The X01 feels nice, but I too am skipping on one cog in the middle of the GX cassette (also original). It's new cassette time.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
What I don't get, r SRAM pricing their groupo at 10% of retail for new builds? & Shimano asking for more...why don't more new bikes have Shimano???

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Nah, I just fitted an X01 chain on mine. Was the first chain replacement since new, so it was almost 10 months old and stretched to buggery. The X01 feels nice, but I too am skipping on one cog in the middle of the GX cassette (also original). It's new cassette time.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I'm going to wait though as I want to change the hub to microspline and run a 10-45 cassette next.. My bikeshop has them coming in April1.
So was that the 1st chain on new cassette? What did the chain measure when you replaced it?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I'm going to wait though as I want to change the hub to microspline and run a 10-45 cassette next.. My bikeshop has them coming in April1.
So was that the 1st chain on new cassette? What did the chain measure when you replaced it?
Yeah, so they were the original chain and cassette that came on the bike back in March last year. Can't remember what the chain measurement was but it was off the charts. Didn't get a new cassette at the time as I was off to Thredbo a few days later. I'm dealing with it for now and not selecting that gear but i'm on the lookout for a new cassette. Sunrace or another GX probably.

DMan

Yeah, so they were the original chain and cassette that came on the bike back in March last year. Can't remember what the chain measurement was but it was off the charts. Didn't get a new cassette at the time as I was off to Thredbo a few days later. I'm dealing with it for now and not selecting that gear but i'm on the lookout for a new cassette. Sunrace or another GX probably.
Annoying though. My chain wasn't that bad. I'll actually measure it when I get home. Same, I'm just riding it. New hub driver and cassette in SLX is the same as getting a new GX so I'll go SLX.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Get the appropriate Shimano chain as well and you should get better shifting as a bonus.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
personally not happy with how the sram gx cassette has worn on my bike, replaced the chain which was a bit over 0.5 worn when i fitted the x01 mech but am getting some skipping on my most used gears, so im making the switch to XT 12spd shimano, buying one of those and a microspline freehub body is still cheaper than a new sram one.
Im going back to 11 speed (XD) when my 12 speed GX cassette wears out. The shifting is fkn garbage.

DMan

Im going back to 11 speed (XD) when my 12 speed GX cassette wears out. The shifting is fkn garbage.
I don't blame you. Both my 11sp sram and shimano were better than GX Eagle

Recommend X01 RD or the B-Bolt upgrade hack
I did the B Bolt XX1 upgrade on my GX derailleur and it's better. But not that much

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't blame you. Both my 11sp sram and shimano were better than GX Eagle

I did the B Bolt XX1 upgrade on my GX derailleur and it's better. But not that much
I bought an XT 12 speed derailleur and shifter and its not any better. Sub X01 12 speed cassettes are flimsy junk.

DMan

yep.

yeah. And that was after the bolt kit upgrade to a gx mech. XT was slightly better.
That's a shitter. I've just changed over one of my wife's bikes to SLX with an XT shifter. I've been waiting for the new GX cassette to arrive and was going to put it on tomorrow. Won't I get my ass kicked when it's as good as her GX set up was.....