Castlecove DJ's and Northbridge Pump Track Maintenance Days - Volunteers

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Always remember, if you plan on riding dirt jumps (including those discussed in this thread) make sure you sweep first, and water regularly. If you remove a cover, put it back properly.

Just because jumps are legal, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of local riders keen to see DJ etiquette followed and the trails respected.

CN001

Squid
Just bumping this thread up. I haven't done much dirt jumping before, but am very interested in giving it a go out at Castle Cove. Are there any upcoming build/maintenance days that I can attend to lend a hand?
If you're just starting out dirt jumping (as I am) I would recommend Montview Oval in Hornsby. Castle Cove is a bit daunting as one of the jumps in the easy line has a gap. At Montview there are 4 small tabletops in a row and its easier to get enough speed as the start ramp is larger then Northbridge. There also seems to be two progressively harder lines which will be useful as you improve. The last jump on the 4X track at Sydney Olympic Park is also good - it's a larger tabletop - good for getting used to more time in the air.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
If you're just starting out dirt jumping (as I am) I would recommend Montview Oval in Hornsby. Castle Cove is a bit daunting as one of the jumps in the easy line has a gap. At Montview there are 4 small tabletops in a row and its easier to get enough speed as the start ramp is larger then Northbridge. There also seems to be two progressively harder lines which will be useful as you improve. The last jump on the 4X track at Sydney Olympic Park is also good - it's a larger tabletop - good for getting used to more time in the air.
Agree. I went to CC thinking, probably like everyone, that the jumps look amazing and just wanted to check it out. Shit kicked my ass so hard...haven't been back in a year.

It seems like Hornsby doesn't progress nicely from the little tables to the larger ones, last I was there someone had dug out one of the jumps. PS, council didn't like that. So it's not just rider maintained ones that need respect, just because some people find them too easy doesn't mean it benefits the long term to change them. If you have kids, please remind them that riders don't like rocks thrown at them while they ride. :yell:

I go to Homebush all the time, as I live really close. The drop in line is awesome for newbs, nothing scary or 'gap it or die'. Seems like in Sydney if you don't know the right people it's either too easy tables or Castle Cove and nothing in between. :noidea:

castle cove is where i learned to dj, the jumps are actually very easy there, just a bit more scary looking, i think it is a natural progression from montview to cc. if you look at the smallest double at cc, its not even a bike length long from the top of the lip to the top of the lander.

the jumps just look bigger than the ones at other legal tracks because they arent tabletops. stay relaxed and as long as you can stay in control of the bike at montview, youll be fine at cc. go there on a saturday and im sure the guys will help you get over them.

Last edited:

jars121

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the words of advice everyone, much appreciated as always. I should have specified that I'm not a complete nwb when it comes to DJ, I just haven't done as much of it as I would have liked :p My old haunt used to be the 4X track out at Terry Hills, which used to have some decent jumps, but they've all been modded now it seems. I went out there last weekend with my DH rig and had a great time. I'm going to head to CC tomorrow morning to see what it's all about, if any of you guys are around, come and say hi! I'll be the guy with the Glory and a full-face helmet haha.

jars121

Likes Bikes
I've had another thought; I'm going to head over to CC this afternoon for a ride as well, I want to ride this bike as much as possible before I give it back to my mate.

Edit: On second thought, it's one million degrees at the moment, might have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
yeah was going to say, good luck surviving out there today, hottest day on record.

i think everyones gone to x up this weekend and im working. there may still be some people heading up though. not sure if there are still tools for maintenance down there but i think theres still a hose to keep the jumps moist. id say bring at least a broom as it tends to be a bit dusty, and water the jumps before and after riding.

jars121

Likes Bikes
No worries at all. I wasn't sure whether to take a hose or not. I'll take a broom and a shovel, in case I need to pack down any loose dirt.

jars121

Likes Bikes
Went for a ride at CC this morning and loved it! I must say, I was fairly intimidated when I arrived, but I met Justin there, and he guided me through the lines and got me going. I stuck to the jumps on the left side and eventually managed to get through them all. Have 8" of front and rear travel sure makes it hard to maintain speed between jumps though!

TForsberg

Cannon Fodder
Went to montview today and they were terrible, if you get a chance go castle cover 100x better

Last edited:

CN001

Squid
Northbridge Pump Track Maintenance

Willoughby Council are renovating the tennis courts near the pump track at Northbridge and are considering doing some maintenance to the pump track at the same time. The Parks Coordinator for the council is looking to meet up with a couple of regular riders of the track on site to discuss maintenance. His preference is mid-week. Is anyone who rides there regularly, or was involved with the last big reconstruction, able to meet with him?

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Willoughby Council are renovating the tennis courts near the pump track at Northbridge and are considering doing some maintenance to the pump track at the same time. The Parks Coordinator for the council is looking to meet up with a couple of regular riders of the track on site to discuss maintenance. His preference is mid-week. Is anyone who rides there regularly, or was involved with the last big reconstruction, able to meet with him?
I emailed Jason Baker (council) a about a month ago asking if we could look at doing some maintenance. He said he would call me back when he returned from leave but never did.

I will contact him today