Castlemaine Rocky Riders 6 Hour, Sunday 19 August

dowey42

Likes Dirt
Am looking forward to this...sort of...
Just back from a well earned Bali break which has meant there has been NO riding, at all. The 360m elevation each lap will test out the long taper I've set myself

Looking forward to catching up with people though and seeing a different race run.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
The kids are fired up and ready to go (BYO pit crew).
The noisy annoying clapper is fixed and in the hands of a 7yo.
Will there be another kids race and biggest skid comp?
Can`t marshal and take pretty photos this year. Riding solo instead.
SS or gears? Hmmmmm. Decisions decisions.
See you all there.
Cheers
MH

Rocky Riders

Likes Bikes
The 360m elevation each lap will test out the long taper I've set myself
Yes on paper there is more climbing compared with other rounds but we think you'll find it fair. Remember what goes up.....

SS or gears? Hmmmmm. Decisions decisions.
One of the riders on our preview ride last Sat only had 1 chainring at the front and 1 sprocket out the back. He made it around the loop without needing to get off and push...and even said he'd do it again! There are a couple of short technical climbs where you SS types will certainly be hard on the pedals but as mentioned above the climbing is fair. Shwinboy can you shed any more light on appropriate ratios for our SS friends? The Garmin link above will give you an idea on gradients.

johndh

Likes Dirt
'We've replicated the categories featured in the Vic Enduro Series results.'
The ves series results don't have a mixed 40+ category!
Can one of my team members ride in a dress, then we can be a 40+ mixed team, it won't be a pretty sight though!

serowe

Likes Dirt
'We've replicated the categories featured in the Vic Enduro Series results.'
The ves series results don't have a mixed 40+ category!
Can one of my team members ride in a dress, then we can be a 40+ mixed team, it won't be a pretty sight though!
Arte you volunteering John? I could always photshop one of your photos from last Sunday just to see what you would look like.

What do you prefer? Pink Tutu or long black formal dress :)

serowe

Likes Dirt
I hadn't checked before, but it looks like it has gone from 9 overall Series categories in 09 and 10 to 13 now. The original 9 were solo - male, female and masters, pairs - male, female and mixed and triples - male, masters and mixed. Any other categories could be (and sometimes were) added but they were local categories only (ie not part of the overall series and restricted to that one event).

What I did find odd in those results was the inclusion (albeit for one round only) of a Quad category which is/was odd given that all posts on any site relating to the series only mentions solos, 2 and 3 person teams!. Where does it stop?

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Shwinboy can you shed any more light on appropriate ratios for our SS friends? The Garmin link above will give you an idea on gradients.
The course is nicely single speedable. You should be able to get round without doing any walking, running 2:1 or 2 teeth on the rear either side of that ratio.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Pink would be elegant on me steve, might need to tie up a few things and pad out the top bits, and it would need to be an xxl size?? What about all the other all male over 40 teams in the mixed 40+ category ? Seems like a sex change might be more appropriate!!

johndh

Likes Dirt
My apologies it does say mixed 40+! I always thought that mixed means at least 2 different sexes! I believe the mixed to be a spelling mistake it should be male not mixed? But I could be wrong, again!

cfd01

Likes Bikes
How do these trails hold up with the wet weather. there's a bit of rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

should we expect a mud mud mud?:bathbaby:

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
Any chance of reloading the link to the video? Doesn't seem to be working for me?
It's not working for me either. We didn't upload it so can't fix it sorry. :(

How do these trails hold up with the wet weather. there's a bit of rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

should we expect a mud mud mud?:bathbaby:
The trails should hold up fine. We had 13mm today but it's been a pretty dry August so the track will be able to take a bit of rain. I reckon it'll be fine by Sunday. I'm out there tomorrow morning so I'll post an update in the afternoon.

Weatherzone tells me "frost then sunny" for Sunday so it should be a really nice day for racing. Bring some warm clothes because clear mornings in Castlemaine are glorious but chilly!

Of course now that I've said that I've probably jinxed the entire event ;)