Casual Enduro event planning - Brisbane

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day all,

Just having some thoughts, would appreciate feedback.

Would like to run a very casual Enduro event - thinking Gap Creek, Cornubia???

3 timed runs, ride in between. E.g. At Gap could be Pipeline, Dingo's and Rocket Frog.

Will have volunteer timers and martials.

Prior consultation (and signage on the day) with stakeholders.

Competing for the fun - no prizes (unless local LBS would like to kick the tin)

Thinking that park authourities may be a problems (can anyone help in this regard??)

OK guys, what do you think? Would be you be interested in having a crack?

Reckon maybe 20 people at most.

Give me your feedback - is it worth a go?

NO entry fee - of course.

cheers,

iain

jawry

Likes Dirt
To do something like that at Gap Creek your chances are 3/8th's of 2/5th's of sweet fuck all. Sorry.
Why do you say that Rabble? Are you talking about getting permision from Park Authorities?

With the right planning and the right approach - these things can be overcome, surely?

If 20 riders turned up at Gap Creek - and decided (on the spur of the moment) to do some timed runs....is that illegal?? Not saying thats how the event would be run (and it would not) just sayin'

If its just Gap Creek that is a problems - what about somewhere like Cornubia?

iain

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
The biggest problems are insurance and safety marshals. Without them you have 1 square metre of fuck all chance of getting in.

Then you have environmental damage and other problems that any authorities may have a problem with.

In SA it took us a good 6 months of organization with park authorities and volunteers to get it ready.

Good luck mate

jawry

Likes Dirt
The biggest problems are insurance and safety marshals. Without them you have 1 square metre of fuck all chance of getting in.

Then you have environmental damage and other problems that any authorities may have a problem with.

In SA it took us a good 6 months of organization with park authorities and volunteers to get it ready.

Good luck mate
One thing (forgot to mention) all persons who turn up to ride will have to be a ticketed member of a sanctioned club - at least that will provide a minimum insurance cover. I have a mate who is an insurance broker - has been involved in event insurance. Will have a chat to him.

This may be getting too hard (for just a casual event) - sometimes i wished i lived over the ditch, things seem to be a lot more casual there.

If anyone has had real life experience in organsing a similar event - would love to have a chat.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I was mainly referring to an organized event. I mean if you just all rocked up and raced each other would it be much different to a weekend ride with mates?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I would be great Jawry but Brisbane City Council (land managers for Gap Creek) would be unlikely to support any racing on publicly accessible trails. Other land managers in Qld are somewhat more supportive but generally not local councils.

I'd suggest contacting the Gap Creek Trails Alliance or SEQTA to bounce the idea off them. Either organisation would have a wealth of experience / advice / explanation to offer you.

There used to be (moons ago) 'chase' rides organised including on MTB Dirt but these were not able to be discussed / organised on that webpage at some point due to complaints from authorities.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
If you're only planning on it to be 20ish people, just create an event page on facebook, get all your mates there and have some fun!

Recently 15 of us did a 3 run enduro down Rocket Frog, just used Strava to time it, was more about having fun...probably why we did it on 16" kids bikes.

https://vimeo.com/101790136

10580681_10154432938020074_2997172258218761525_o.jpg
10525614_1446509615614116_534327082911580458_n.jpg
10572031_10154432937625074_6457531581199771603_o.jpg

jawry

Likes Dirt
If you're only planning on it to be 20ish people, just create an event page on facebook, get all your mates there and have some fun!

Recently 15 of us did a 3 run enduro down Rocket Frog, just used Strava to time it, was more about having fun...probably why we did it on 16" kids bikes.

https://vimeo.com/101790136

View attachment 298066
View attachment 298067
View attachment 298068
Ahhhh...so you were the very big kids we saw hairing around on 16's. That looked to be more fun than a mini full of pissed English lass's in short skirts.

OK, i like your plan.

Now, just gotta find 15 mates :)

Michae1

Likes Dirt
That'd be us :) that arvo was a hoot, if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong and wasting your time.

We got alot of smiles and laughs from other trail users, to be honest it was disappointing as it wasn't as busy as we thought it would be.

Only one guy didn't seem impressed when he stopped to let one of our group go past....

If you're on the facebook, enjoy political incorrectness, boobs, booze and calling like minded people names in jest....oh oh and having fun "just cos" look up Death Skull Dirt Riders :)

Look out for us on the news after the 20th ;)

Last edited: