Catering advice - salads

Rik

logged out
I'm stuck with the task of catering for a music gig, we're doing a barbeque and I'd like to offer just a little bit more than the usual sawdust sausage on cheap bread.
A potato salad is the way to go, and whilst I usually take pride in my cooking and can do a ripper of a potato salad, it's just not feasible given everything else that needs to be done in the days before.
What I'm thinking of is buying a few tubs of bulk salad, but the question is where from? Numbers wise I think 300 people is an overestimation but given the situation too much food is much better than not enough.
Where would be a good place to start with getting the cheapest pre-made salad from, and would you have any advice as to quantity and approximate pricing?
(ps, I'm in inna wesside sydney- yo)
Any help is appreciated :)

Ant27

Likes Dirt
Hey,

I think at woolworths you can get mrs crockets salads and colslaw and potato salads just buy a few on them and serve them out.

Sorry about the spelling im not sure how to spell colslaw.:confused:

Ant

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

I think at woolworths you can get mrs crockets salads and colslaw and potato salads just buy a few on them and serve them out.

Sorry about the spelling im not sure how to spell colslaw.:confused:

Ant
about 25 packs of each variety of salad

i think the best solution is probably going to raid someone's farm and call it a ranch salad.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try get onto Mrs Crockets. They do MASSIVE tubs of coleslaw, pasta salad and potato salad for catering etc. My brothers mate works at the factory in Brisbane, so I'm guessing there would probably be an outlet in Sydney somewhere too.

I know you can buy massive bags of onions, carrots and the like. My mate flogged a bag of these carrots from a shop when he was insanely drunk. These things were the size of those massive cucumbers.....we pelted a pub crawl bus pretty good with them.

|Matt|

Banned
Chicken salad is always a winner. I think its just chicken in some flavour of sauce, might be mayonnaise. That always goes down well, but failing that, potato salad, coleslaw and if you want to fork out, seafood salad is always great for the grown ups :p.

Last edited:

Stef

Likes Dirt
Dude,

I don't think any of the places suggested can do the sort of quantity your looking at. Your right, over catering in this situation is critical given your experience.

You'll need to consider a few things.

1) How many menu items are there?

2) Is it a casual or professional function. Does it matter if you run low?

3) Whose paying and what's your budget?

4) Do you have access to a decent kitchen and commercial cooking equipment?

5) Storage space.

If you really need to buy it (which is the low stress and quite sensible option) I can't help you.

However, if you can cook then a potato salad is quite simple to prepare in bulk before hand (2 days in advance). Just break down the elements of it ie. mayo, diced onion, chives, potato, rocket, bacon. Whatever your into. Prepare each ingredient in order of difficulty and longevity. Make sure your potatoes are boiled after cutting so they don't go brown and make sure they are not hot when you wrap them. Then simply toss on the day.

If you have two meat and three veg items with bread you'll be safe with 70- 100grams per person. If your running a single meat item and a single salad, 200grams should be adequate s the average person will eat 350-400grams a meal. This will give you a total quantity of approx. 54 kgs of spuds, 4 litres of mayo and two kg's spanish onion. Do consider if the clients will be drinking too as they'll eat less.

Hope that helps.

Oh, I should add that I'm a sous chef at one of the larger function centres in Brisbane. This post amuses me as I finished today after seven years of cooking to work in a bike shop !

Goodluck

Joy

Likes Dirt
my mum makes a KILLER wombok (sp?) salad. i'm not sure exactly whats in it, but i know theres wombok, dry noodles, eschallots, and this awesome sauce. have to find out whats in it...

Rik

logged out
my mum makes a KILLER wombok (sp?) salad.
Nice story, I like stories... :)

Stef, thanks heaps for your input! Ok, what it is... we're doing a hardcore/breakcore gig (think stupid-brutal electronic music) on a Sunday, starting at midday. Since we have a bad time to start a gig, combined with there being many big parties on the night before, offering an incentive such as free barbeque lunch for people that turn up early will hopefully work in our favour to draw a decent crowd.

What we're doing hasn't been done before in this context, so instead of something cheap and shitty I wanted to make a little bit of effort in to doing something worthwhile turning up for.

We're hoping to run the food from midday to 3pm, or whenever ~300 people turn up. It might just happen that things go slowly and we are left with heaps of food, but that's fine as we can fire things up again later in the evening (the event runs until 10pm) as a treat for those hanging around. Ideally we want quite a few hundred people to arrive early, and if anyone misses out then that's too bad for them - we'd have achieved our goal of getting people through the door and that's the priority here ;)
No doubt everyone will be drinking (and more!), I don't expect food to be a huge priority but for those that have been up since the night before it might help them keep going during the day.

So... food wise, I was thinking of sausages, they're easy... marinated chicken - maybe drumsticks as they're cheap and easy, though sliced fillet pieces would be nicer. Also will probably do grilled eggplant slices and maybe something else for those swayed that way. For salads a friend suggested doing a simple leafy salad that could be had either by itself or in a roll with meat, and I'd like to do a potato salad and possibly a coleslaw too.

It doesn't have to be too fancy, but a choice of a few options will make a big difference. Budget is tight, as cheap as we can get is the way to go but I am willing to spend $2-300 or even more if necessary, though less is best to keep overheads under control.

As much as I'd like to prepare it all before the gig since I'm the main man and there's so much to do that weekend it's pretty well out of the equation. I could do it at home and have the methodical work ethic to make it happen, but then storage space becomes a massive drama.
Ideally I'd like to find somewhere that'll sell us quite a few bulk tubs of salad for pretty cheap, pick them up on the friday, deliver to the venue (pub) and leave in coolroom storage until it's used on Sunday.

It's a headache I could do without but it's our first gig and I'd like it to be something special.
Again, your input is appreciated, especially the approximate numbers for consumption.
If anyone knows where I should look for bulk salad purchasing, point me in the right direction! Also some approximate pricing would be nice too, I can imagine the random takeaway store owner would like to make a nice profit on me asking for them to supply for me so need to be wary of that.