Caught by council rangers building a trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

NICK ATKINS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
me and my mates were ridin last weekend and we meet some guy ridin his bike with his children and he saw us jumpin and all that stuff and he told us that he built them when he was ten
so i dont think the rangers go near the bush were our jumps r ,anyway they hav better things to do then lookin in the bush for jumps
True but you not all people would see it that way.Most of the time the police would only come if someone told them that you were destroying the bush or something along those lines.

Likes Bikes
i was with a 2 friends in the bush building jumps once and there were motorbikers riding around the area. we put in a few hours and had a pretty good double coming along when three coppers came into the bush. They asked if we had seen the motorbikers and we said we had but hours before. One of the coppers said something like "good news or bad news" and im like what does that mean? and then hes like this is illegal do you know that there are fines for doing stuff like this and he said "knock this down right now or we'll be pressing charges." Of course we kncoked he jump down and haven't built there since. The funny thing was hat the other two cops were like "are you serious?" when he told us to knock them down because they just saw it as fun. The other cops really didn't care and if te third guy hadn't have come nothing would have happened. The one female cop was even impressed by our efforts.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I was caught building a trail, but it wasn't by the council, it was by one of the neigbours and he wasn't to nice compared to everyone else. Unfortunately I had to give my name and address over because he said if we didn't we would get into more trouble etc etc.

So now we have to go and put everything back, and it was going to be an awesome trail. In my opinion he was a little unfair, because it is under power lines so no one can build anything there and well to tell the truth I didn't really think anyone owned the land, it almost is just vacant, there are no signs or anything.

Oh well, tomorrow I have to put everything back :( and the guy want't it all leveled out, since when does bush be level?

Well I am a little angry, but oh well.

pavey

Likes Dirt
someone always owns the land, but most likely the council, I guess he didn't specify the "more trouble" part... you should have just bailed, or not built there in the first place without permission from owner/neighbours

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
someone always owns the land, but most likely the council, I guess he didn't specify the "more trouble" part... you should have just bailed, or not built there in the first place without permission from owner/neighbours
Yeah I know we were in the wrong now, but we seriously didn't think anyone would care and I am sure the council wouldn't either. I mean down there is about 3 old cars with filters and stuff everywhere and I am guessing this guy chucked it all in there. He was a real cow, but I suppose he is right. But it was going to be a pretty cool trail too.

Well life's life, but I sure wish that councils weren't as strict with all this kind of thing. I am sure many riders in our neighbor hood would have used it and many walkers could have used it too, because there were no jumps or roll overs or anything like that, just nice flowy trail. Many people would have liked it I am sure, but it is weird everyone there weren't worried about it at all and then this guy seemed to make a massive deal out of it. Wasn't going to hurt anyone, and most of the trail was already there. His main point was that he would have heaps of noise going down there, I don't know whether he knows how much 3 kids and 3 push bikes make, not much thats for sure.

Oh well, you get people like this.

NS_Suburban

Likes Bikes
Yeah I'm building a trail a stone's throw from a state forest/national park AND a newly developing suburb.... the entrance is slightly hidden and looks like a disused walking track, plenty of people go walking, jogging and riding nearby... thankfully there was a walking track there already so it's not lik i've gone in and cut down trees, only pulled out some grass to actually make it passable. Worst comes to worst though, and i'm taking the tools and heading high into the hills to build a trail that NOBODY will find

pavey

Likes Dirt
Yeah I know we were in the wrong now, but we seriously didn't think anyone would care and I am sure the council wouldn't either. I mean down there is about 3 old cars with filters and stuff everywhere and I am guessing this guy chucked it all in there. He was a real cow, but I suppose he is right. But it was going to be a pretty cool trail too.

Well life's life, but I sure wish that councils weren't as strict with all this kind of thing. I am sure many riders in our neighbor hood would have used it and many walkers could have used it too, because there were no jumps or roll overs or anything like that, just nice flowy trail. Many people would have liked it I am sure, but it is weird everyone there weren't worried about it at all and then this guy seemed to make a massive deal out of it. Wasn't going to hurt anyone, and most of the trail was already there. His main point was that he would have heaps of noise going down there, I don't know whether he knows how much 3 kids and 3 push bikes make, not much thats for sure.

Oh well, you get people like this.

yeah it really sucks, was it his land? or could he just see the track? if it was his property then another reason could have been he didn't want people getting injured on his property because that leaves him wide open. anyway he sounds like a cock either way

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah it really sucks, was it his land? or could he just see the track? if it was his property then another reason could have been he didn't want people getting injured on his property because that leaves him wide open. anyway he sounds like a cock either way
Nah it isn;t his land, his land border is probably 20-40m away from where we are building. He could only see the trail, and his main problem was the noise coming from 3 kids, I really don't know how much us three you make, but no much.

He is a just as cranky middle aged man (Not being judgmental) but if that's all he has better to do, to protect the land outside of his and pick on 2 teen aged kids, I pity that man.

Well it would have been a good trail, really good, just the first bit was awesome, really fast and flowy and that was only 50m, oh well I think the track will be built on day, one day. :D

doin

Likes Bikes
we were building somes dj's on parks victoria land and the ranger came down whilst we were there. naturally we ran quite fast and hid in some bushes. he then got on his phone and started talking to someone about them. we later called head office and asked of the penalty: you can be fined and sent to court and for every tree/shrub you remove you have to plant ten more. A couple of months later the lips were all wrecked and a no-bikes signs was there. my advise is not do it unless its very well hidden.

I've built a few short trails around where I live but I NEVER remove any trees or shrubs, I think that's asking for trouble. I've found that in most places it's not that hard to direct the trail around the existing vegetation. Cutting away some of the small 'eye poker' branches is usually all that's required.

I was building a trail in the national park with 3 mates when some ragers drove up and started talking to us, they said the didnt mind what we were doing as long as we didnt cut down any trees and we tryed to make it as enviromentally safe as possible. It shows that if you are polite to rangers the will let you keep building.:)

manika

Likes Bikes
Hey, why does everybody say build *deep* in the bush? How are you supposed to get to deep in the bush without a trail? Small trails that look like animal pads dont stay like that for long with people riding (or even pushing) their bikes over them.

This is what I plan to live by (not too experienced at building illegal trails. Only got one thats still in the making):

Just go ahead and build, BUT! no cutting down trees because it pisses people off and makes the place look like shit.
If rangers or policemen or other authority figures discover the trail, then talk to them. Being polite and honest will throw them a little bit because they expect us kids to be pretty horrible. Talking to them may give you a chance at keeping the trail. Running away or acting like dickheads will most probably get the trail shut down.
If they asked for my name and details I would refuse (politely :)) and tell them that I'm worried about retribution. If they insisted I would run. At this point theres no way the track will stay, so its all over anyway.

Ingeniator

Likes Dirt
A couple of reasons not to:

- It is illegal, and although we don't like to admit it, there could well be reasons for this (legal issues, sewing etc. for example).

- If they are found, it leaves a poor impression on cyclists that COULD possibly have used them - not even that, necessarily, HAD used them.

- You COULD get fined! That's money that COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON BIKE SHIT!

In the end, as im sure you know, its your call.

jumps

you dont normally just get a fine sraight away you get a worning first but dont put a lot of time in to it if you think it will get knocked down

Staunch

Eats Squid
you dont normally just get a fine sraight away you get a worning first but dont put a lot of time in to it if you think it will get knocked down

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Gravedig = Bad :mad: Threads need to die (especially 5 month old ones) , just like everything else, don't revive them.

stinkblot

Likes Dirt
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Gravedig = Bad :mad: Threads need to die (especially 5 month old ones) , just like everything else, don't revive them.
I disagree... It is threads like this that may bring enough likeminded people together to create a cohesive voice that can actually have a say in the direction trailbuilding goes. Look at hsmba and all the other clubs out there. They dont happen like somekind of big bang. They happen because people share a vision.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Gravedigging a thread on how to build illegal trail and run away from authorities. Nope, this is bad, very bad and I'm sure will be deleted very shortly.

There's already plenty of good threads on trail advocacy, read those and learn as this thread is nothing but tripe!

Status
Not open for further replies.