Caution: Awaba Timber Berm

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but...

A mate of mine was at Awaba on the weekend and mentioned to me that there was a problem with the large timber berm. Let me struggle to describe the problem area. He said that the middle (lengthways) of the mid-height line (vertically) had come away from the lower section of the structure, thus creating a fair amount of flex and movement (read: a hole) when riding the middle line. This movement is enough to stop a wheel dead...as my mate and 1 or 2 others found out on the weekend. Apparently he and another rider tried to put some markers out to warn about the hazard.

So if anyone is out there with some tools (apart from the guys you're riding with) it might be an idea to see if the problem can't be rectified.

The problem area is somewhere in the area circled...hope you don't mind me using your pic Gaz. Still styling Refresh.

JB

Greg882

Likes Bikes
I rode saturday just gone... Whats the story with the new pallet jump coming down (s bend rd)
It seems to be taped off and there is a RTA gate blocking it

Has someone done a mischief off it ????

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Has someone done a mischief off it ????
Yeah Greg882, some poor fella got a chopper ride off the end of it.

Not good, but...

The question was then asked, do we close every bit of trail that somebody hurts themselves on?

The next question was, after a well signed and "ridable by ALL" b-line is in place, where are the rules about level of the a-line?

On another note, that berm (^) is in terrible condition. I think it needs to be rebuilt completely with hardwood and the exit angle re-jigged.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
Thats no good. Hope the poor fella is recovering
I can imagine coming off on that would not be fun..

I dont know wether or not the jump should be closed off though..
as with all sports their is a risk involved and their is a B Line option

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree, we can't sanitize the sport to the point that we are riding on a paved flat straight trail. But I do think that any trails being built in such a remote location need to take into consideration the danger to a rider out on their own (maybe we shouldn't ride alone but we do)

I think it is perfectly reasonable to build jumps on trails but I do think that all jumps should be dirt (unless the trail is heavily monitored by a maintenance crew etc), that a b line should be put into place, and that the jump is semi roll able.

We will always have accidents, that's just part and parcel of the sport, but I have never felt comfortable with a trail obstacle on a long term trail that is biodegradable. it's a mater of time until it weakens to breaking point. (although hardwood is a pretty "hardy" substance)

At least with a dirt or rock obstacle they degrade over time to the point that they are more and more difficult to negotiate. They then either become a whole new trail feature, or they are repaired.

Just an opinion. Opinions can be wrong.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
It is with quite a bit of sorrow that I announce that the timber berm is no longer there. It was becoming quite a hazard and it was decided to remove it rather than risk injury to riders.

Hopefully we can put in a big dirt berm and keep the fun going without the ongoing maintenance issues.

It sucks, but it had to be done :(