CB Joplin post issues (4" version)

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I am having issues with my post returning, it seems after no more than 2-3 months I have to pull the bugger apart, regas/reoil everything (which is a real PITA to do), is this just a shit post? I have to admit, it's the best TYPE of product I've bought for my bike, but I am not so sure as to whether it was actually the best make/model. Considering dumping it eventually and trying something else if it continues to stuff up.

So, can someone post instructions as to how to regas/reoil these things? (in summary, as I actually found the CB instructions to be a very long, drawn out exercise)

nskz

Likes Dirt
By the sounds of it you already re-grease and re-gas it yourself, going by the first paragraph anyway?

I actually did mine today for the first time ever. I've had mine for probably 10 months but i've noticed lately that it lacks return (air pressure had gone down). Anyway to rebuild it it takes no longer than 5 minutes max.

- Remove from bike, shove a 10mm socket up it's duff and remove the lock nut

- Undo the top collar/seal

- Remove outer sleeve, exposing inner shaft, clean/wipe off the old grease.

- Check the screw that holds the keyway slide in place is tight (requires torx key). If you want to clean inside the seal on the top collar you will have to remove this keyway in order to slide the top collar off the shaft.

- Get a flat blade screw driver and remove the small aluminium screw/cover on the end of the shaft you removed the bolt from in step 1. This will expose the air valve. Using a shock pump pressurise to 75psi for the Jopin 3, 55psi for the Joplin 4. Do this with the seatpost inverted.

- Replace aluminium cap (careful of the threads), then grease up the whole lot liberally and put it back together (don't over tighten the top collar/seal, just nice firm hand tight). I use a super heavy duty grease (HTB or that marine boating stuff) as in this application you aren't so concerned with stiction you are more concerned with maximum protection of that keyway slide as if it wears your post will feel shite (mega seat sideways movement).

- Once back on the bike 'cycle' the post at least 10 times by depressing the lever/button and pushing it down and then depressing the lever and letting it return up on it's own, this 'bleeds' the air in the hydraulic circuit.

Another thing I do is get an old tube, cut it to length (approx 120mm on the Joplin 3) and slide it up over the whole exposed part of the post which slides, then cable tie it right at the top (up near the seat mount, on the black part, not on the shaft) and then at the bottom below the top seal. This stops any water or shit getting into the internals as that top seal isn't that crash hot. Like I said I serviced mine for the first time today and it's seen a LOT of use and it looked like new inside, the only issue is that it had lost air pressure over time, understandable.

If none of that makes sense I may be persuaded to provide pics, but honestly I reckon you'll work it out :cool:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
OK, I've found the issue. Basically, when it has ANY air in it, and the release button is depressed and then released, the main valve at the top of the post leaks rather quickly, it is definitely an audible leak. This only starts to happen once I cycle the air/oil through a number of times (I.e. > 10). There is evidence of this continual leak in the area over the weeks/months with a sludgy/oil buildup present.

Now, I must admit that I am using thin oil (5wt) as opposed to whatever is recommended, but I really don't think that this was be the cause. I think I may have to return it.

Can anyone confirm?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Bump, I really don't think this thing is fixable at home, but would like someone to confirm. Perhaps it is either low on oil, or the weight of the oil is too thin/low, but I doubt it as I wouldn't have thought that would cause air to leak from it.

Last edited:

actionchris

Likes Dirt
There was an article on fixing it in AMB. Not sure if it was the lastest issue though. It was the one with free grips for reference.
I recently sold mine because i was sick of the issues associated with it. I'm not sure if mine was leaking but when it was at any extension the post would not hold its desired height and would bob when i sat on it like a suspension post. Tried all the fixes then ended up sending it in to get fixed, got it back then sold it. If the air has mixed with the oil the post will need dissassmbely, seals changed, regassing etc as the post will not hold its set height If you are confident enough to dissassmble the entire post then you may have luck finding aftermarket replacements at a bearing shop.
A good idea is to use at neoprene shock cover around the post, similar to a chain stay protector to stop mud and gunk getting into the post in the first place.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Yeah, I think I'll just send it back to CRC and they can deal with it. Sounds like a fiddly PITA job that I really cbf with.

Considering a Reverb, KS or GD replacement.. hrmm.. :rolleyes:

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Have a look at the X Fusion Hilo, so far it has been extremely good and is the cheapest of all of the posts available. Have a look at DIYMTB.

My 3" has the same issue and is about to go back to the local distributor. From what i can make of it, it has blown an internal valve or seal and is something that is non serviceable from your own end as it has a nitrogen charge. I just got a new Reverb today and first ride tonight it shagged out too, bleed issue i think. They all have there own issues it seems but the Joplin is for the most part very easily serviced yourself so i think im going to stick with that once its fixed up. Several other friends have reverb's and are finding that they need regular bleeding to keep them running fast and efficient.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hey Greg!
I have been using the specialized command post for just over 6 months now, not one single issue to date, it has 125mm of travel with 3 settings, i am absolutely rapt with it, i know they are expensive but it really works, and reliability is spot on, i took it out for the first time to give it a once over clean, not a speck of dust had gotten any where near it, i would definitely recommend this to you mate, BTW, i thought the CB joplins were supposed to be the shiz??
Hope all works out for ya mate!

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Joplins didnt get the name "sloplin" by being bulletproof !!! :rolleyes:

BTW I am using a KS i900, and so far, its great !

I still thing that the Gravity Dropper would be the most reliable. Looks, on the other hand, Im not so sure about .

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Yeah, well I'll let you guys know what CRC says about it. I'm not in a rush - I've got a Thomson Elite there as a temporary till I get something worked out. Leaning towards the Kind Shock at the moment, perhaps even the 6" version, if it's out when I'm ready to buy. Otherwise I'm sure the 5" version will be plenty. Plus I assume prices will come down with the new release.