CCDB Changes over the years

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone point me in the direction of changes/improvements made to the Cane Creek Double Barrel coil shock, especially over the last few years? I can't find anything post 2010 apart from some labeling changes.

I'm contemplating buying one 2nd hand to replace an old Fox DHX5 but would like to know if there are any improvements worth spending the extra on?

Cheers!

houso

Likes Bikes
Can anyone point me in the direction of changes/improvements made to the Cane Creek Double Barrel coil shock, especially over the last few years? I can't find anything post 2010 apart from some labeling changes.

I'm contemplating buying one 2nd hand to replace an old Fox DHX5 but would like to know if there are any improvements worth spending the extra on?

Cheers!
One of the main changes has been the thickness of the shaft.
Gone from 7mm to 9mm due to all the failures of the 7mm shafts.
Many CCDB owners have had the larger shaft installed when they send them in to get serviced, no big deal to have this done.

gregp

Likes Dirt
In March 2012 I asked Cane Creek a similar question and this was their response:

"Your third picture is the latest model, however there have been no major changes in the past three years. On top of that all models are backwards compatible, so if you have a shock that’s a few years old and you get it serviced, the internal parts can be upgraded to the new ones."

I know that they changed the bushing diameter from 15mm to 14.7mm around the time they launched CCDB Air. My 2012 CCDB Coil came with 14.7mm. Reason for the change was they needed to make space for the CCDB Air air can, and they applied the same change to their Coil shock for consistency. Not really an improvement or otherwise, just something to be aware of when you order spare parts.

The shaft diameter on my shock is 8mm, not 9mm... Possibly because my shock is on the smallish side (8.5x2.5")

In case you haven't tried this already, sign up for the Lounge on the CC website, you may find more info there.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. Gary from Cane Creek got back to me as well. He said the following:

Gary Maltby said:
The only updates since then have been small internal changes and the switch to stainless steel for the low speed adjusters. The good news is, when its time for service you can have the older shock updated with these changes.
Thanks again for all the info!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Does anyone know where to buy bushings for CCDB Air in Melbourne (or online)?
NSD have them, but last time I looked they were out of stock.

Try contact Tekin (www.tekin.bike)?

It appears you need 14.7mm!
15mm is for DB Inline, 16mm is for 2011 and older.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
You're correct. NSD have none and I'm waiting on Preston to get back to me. Have you booked yours in for a service yet? Maybe I'll 3D print some? :heh:
Nah I'm gonna take mine in some time during July I think.
I need a rebuild, plus new DU bushings... I'll ask Tekin on FB now, seem to get a fairly quick reply there.
If they have none, I'll try source some elsewhere before taking the shock in.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Mmm, everywhere I found from OS ended up being way more after bringing post into the equation.
Looks like we'll just have to suck it up if Tekin don't have any (still awaiting reply).

Last time I checked, NSD charge around ten bucks post.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Lol... "Freight is $11, Total for two is $43"

$43 for two bushes!!! You want two if I order? :heh:
That's just obscene.
I'll pass for now as I'm stretched thin for a while, having to buy a fork and a few other bits...

gregp

Likes Dirt
Lol... "Freight is $11, Total for two is $43"

$43 for two bushes!!! You want two if I order? :heh:
I didn't pay a cent for the bushings or the tool... Just ask nicely.

"Hi

I have a CC DB Shock, purchased new in March 2012. The shock eye bushings have worn out. Where can I purchase spare bushings and the press tool to replace them? I can’t find them in your web store.

Thanks,

Greg
Melbourne/Australia"

Gary Maltby <gary@canecreek.com>
17/01/2013

to me

"Just send me your full name and address and i'll ship you the parts."

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I didn't pay a cent for the bushings or the tool... Just ask nicely.
Interesting concept!
Most companies aren't too keen on giving away things for free... the thought was absent from my mind.

I have sent them an e-mail just now.
Hopefully I get a similar response. :)

NSDynamics

Farkin Advertiser
So the 14.7 du bushes are in stock and have only ever been $10. Might have been a mixup between the 16mm bushes which are $16.

14.7, 15 and 16mm bushes are all in stock and postage off the webstore is only $7.50.

The specific Cane Creek removal/install tool is also available and does all 3 sizes on all shocks. $40.

Sorry for any confusion on the price and sizing of the bushes.

Also, if you have any CC tech questions we are here to help.

Cheers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
LOL, $16? What the fuck?
Do they cook me burgers for when I get home from work, too?
So the 14.7 du bushes are in stock and have only ever been $10. Might have been a mixup between the 16mm bushes which are $16.

14.7, 15 and 16mm bushes are all in stock and postage off the webstore is only $7.50.

The specific Cane Creek removal/install tool is also available and does all 3 sizes on all shocks. $40.

Cheers
So about these burgers...what flavour do they come in?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid

Cheers
Thanks for clearing that up for us! :)