Cell Roadie? - a review

Arete

Likes Dirt
Got pegged by a guy named Fu Wang in his Starlet on the way home on Monday, right in front of the cops, who were driving behind him. He was turning left across the bike lane into a car space, didn't indicate, bumped me with the front corner and I took a relatively low speed tumble.

Cops leapt out, screaming "Stay down! We're calling the ambulance! help is on the way!"
Took a while to convince them I was ok. Not even grazed, bit of a bruised hip. Only casualty was my rear light, which he gave me some cash to replace on the spot. Next morning I noticed a little nick in the seat and bar tape. Cell 1 car 0.

Coppers went nuts though, big lecture for the driver and a fine. Refused to let me finish my ride home cause of the damaged rear light and gave me a lift. Good to know they'll do it all for a bike.

projectsplat

The film guy
Coppers went nuts though, big lecture for the driver and a fine. Refused to let me finish my ride home cause of the damaged rear light and gave me a lift. Good to know they'll do it all for a bike.
Good to see that the coppers are taking it seriously. Been far too many incidents of riders getting skittled or worse, killed and no one seeming to care. It's a nice change.

bazza

look at me
Got pegged by a guy named Fu Wang in his Starlet on the way home on Monday, right in front of the cops, who were driving behind him. He was turning left across the bike lane into a car space, didn't indicate, bumped me with the front corner and I took a relatively low speed tumble.

Cops leapt out, screaming "Stay down! We're calling the ambulance! help is on the way!"
Took a while to convince them I was ok. Not even grazed, bit of a bruised hip. Only casualty was my rear light, which he gave me some cash to replace on the spot. Next morning I noticed a little nick in the seat and bar tape. Cell 1 car 0.

thats kick ass. they probably hear a million stories from cyclists and complaints of no action and they finally get to set an example for someone caught red handed!

Arete

Likes Dirt
ok, so after 15 months, the wheels are shagged.

Very unstraight (could be riding it down a set of 10 stairs every day for 14 months) and the bearing races are looking like a teenagers face. considering they're basement level wheels, there's not much point investing in fixing them up.

So, you'll only get a year's commuting out of the wheels.

Anyone recommned a suitable budget replacement set?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I'd be more inclined to go a 32 spoke handbuilt wheel as opposed to an off-the-shelf roadie wheel for commuting duties. Mavic spokes are exxy to replace and generally a bit of a PITA.