Cell Roadie? - a review

Arete

Likes Dirt
Nope, I was changing up from little chainring to big, and crrruunnnch!!! spinspinspin... I'll email Cell and see what happens.

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really good thread Arete (I have just been through all 7 pages), and very informative.

Let us know how you get on with the email to Cell.

[edit:] hey SC, I re read the thread, and couldn't see what sort of roadie you ended up settling on ? Only that Arete called it a 'fancy pants' roadie ? :p

What did you settle on ? And how have you been finding the commute ?

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
[edit:] hey SC, I re read the thread, and couldn't see what sort of roadie you ended up settling on ? Only that Arete called it a 'fancy pants' roadie ? :p

What did you settle on ? And how have you been finding the commute ?
I got a Cinelli with Campagnolo wheels and groupset. All Italian goodness.:)

The commute is surprisingly enjoyable, I truly am enjoying riding the roadie. I am averaging above 30kmh for the whole trip, hit top speed 82kmh and look forward to the commute each week. It is 32km each way, and will now start to do it twice a week. Flats suck though.

I have put up a picture of it in Post Your Ride.

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
My weigh in is basically that i looked at the Cell, and even rode a friends, but ended up going with a sofar $100 roadie from Cashies and then bits from two LBSs to bring it up to running order.

Arete, i think i have seen you around on that Cell before, commuting from out east along the Obahn or down Walkerville Tce?

Arete

Likes Dirt
My weigh in is basically that i looked at the Cell, and even rode a friends, but ended up going with a sofar $100 roadie from Cashies and then bits from two LBSs to bring it up to running order.

Arete, i think i have seen you around on that Cell before, commuting from out east along the Obahn or down Walkerville Tce?
Possibly. I commute from Glynde into the city, so either along linear park or Payneham Rd.

Cell emailled back and want some photos of the damage (hmm, how to photograph a bent chain...). So, yeah looks promising.

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, i go from Klemzig, so either Walkerville Tce, Linear Park or sometimes Payneham if i meet up with a friend in Felixstow.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Update:

I never bothered with replacing the bent bits. Out with the pliers, bend back, keep riding every day. I know I'm risking chain snappage, but oh well.

The paint is holding up ok, but my carelessness and a few bike drops (not whilst riding) have left their marks on it.

Otherwise, bugger all to report - I mean one of my unused bottle mount bolts vibrated out. Oh Noes!!!... or weight saving...
Oh and I repacked the hubs a couple of weeks ago with new bearings and grease and now they're better than new. I would like some new wheels really, but I can't justify spending money on them for a commuter I flog every day.

At the moment, the TDU has brought out so many lycra clad bandits who have this bizarre and uncanny dislike for me. I get stares and tuts from them as I cruise past them - :rolleyes: I may be wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but I do ride this way every day of the week and as such will be faster in my peaked helmet on my Cell than you on your couple of times a year Pinarello and full quickstep outfit. I had to go round an entire pack of middle aged roadies in the same two outfits on the dirt and a few of them yelled at me...

Why the commuter hate? I don't get it.

Anyway, 6-7 months on, Cell was still a good choice.... hmmm I wonder, do I get to hit them up for free stuff now I've said all this nice stuff about them

Buriedpast

Likes Bikes
I had to go round an entire pack of middle aged roadies in the same two outfits on the dirt and a few of them yelled at me...

Why the commuter hate? I don't get it.

Are you some kind of cycling god? Even a slow paced recovery ride peleton with average riders will still smash 99.99999% of commuters for speed. Perhaps you're overtaking a nursing home convoy?

Arete

Likes Dirt
Are you some kind of cycling god? Even a slow paced recovery ride peleton with average riders will still smash 99.99999% of commuters for speed. Perhaps you're overtaking a nursing home convoy?
No idea. I've never ridden road. I have no idea what they were. They were all riding along linear park bike path, which is no wide enough for the kind of thing I've seen in the TDF.

A lot of spectators got garbed up to ride around the event too, so they could've been spectators I guess.

But they were rude to me as I passed their bunch on the dirt beside the path, which confuzzled me

Buriedpast

Likes Bikes
No idea. I've never ridden road. I have no idea what they were. They were all riding along linear park bike path, which is no wide enough for the kind of thing I've seen in the TDF.

A lot of spectators got garbed up to ride around the event too, so they could've been spectators I guess.

But they were rude to me as I passed their bunch on the dirt beside the path, which confuzzled me
Probably because you were spraying rocks and crap at their $5000+ frames would be my first assumption? You ever seen a bit of scratched paint on a cervelo? Neither have I...

Because you didnt have the patience to wait and pass at a better time, like ALL cyclists request of road users?

Shrug. But thats Farkiners for you :rolleyes:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Probably because you were spraying rocks and crap at their $5000+ frames would be my first assumption? You ever seen a bit of scratched paint on a cervelo? Neither have I...

Because you didnt have the patience to wait and pass at a better time, like ALL cyclists request of road users?

Rocks flicked up by 19mm wide, treadless road tires? Bit of a stretch mate. You've not idea of the substrate, the berth I gave them, or anything really.

You tell me ANY occasion where passing 30+ riders, taking up both sides of a shared, bi-directional path doesn't involve leaving the path. The pass I executed on the dirt was a) not executed on the right, as it should have been as the entire path was taken up for tens of metres, and b) safe from any risk of collision.

You seem intent on turning a thread aimed at being a bike review into a slinging match over some supposed incident you never even witnessed, and condemning some 30 000 forum users over it.

As far as me, trying to get home from work being inconsiderate, how about the road pack on a constrictive path being used by commuters, parents and kids, dog walkers, pram pushers and joggers? Everyone who doesn't get out of their way and patiently wait for them to continue at their chosen pace is inconsiderate cause it might scratch an expensive frame... oh noes.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
which shop/team gear were they wearing out of curiousity?

there are a few of these semi organised groups of middle aged blokes getting around and pissing people off... trying to look like pros but have probably never even contemplated entering a local race... riding in a group on the linear park bikeway? the mind boggles.

scblack

Leucocholic
Bahahahahahaha, clearly you have NEVER seen a Cervelo that has ever been ridden. Stop looking at them in the shop windows, get off your whining ass, and go ride a farking bike. I have a Cinelli, which I guess is up there with Cervelo gear. These bikes get scratched as we ride them. To think that a person would bitch about scratches on a bike frame shows me you have no idea why people buy good frames.

Shrug. I guess that idiots for you.:rolleyes:

takai

Eats Squid
FWIW i passed a group of ageing, overweight guys struggling along Walkerville Tce this morning. In a mixture of Cibo, Lotto, and a couple of other TDF style jerseys (big teams which i cant think of the names for atm). Doing about 20km/h on mostly Ultegra or DA equipped Euro bikes (the section of road is a slight 2-3% downhill gradient, with nice smooth freshly laid tarmac, most commuters are doing 30km/h along there).

Spread out across in more of a line than a pack, covered the parking spaces, cycle lane and halfway into the road.

Wasnt hard to overtake them, not even on my 15yo steel framed 12.5kg roadie. Hell anyone could probably have done it on their DH bike.

All i can assume is that its a retirement village going for their weekly ride at 8:30am.