Centennial Park NSW

cheezario

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Has anyone ever approached Centennial Park Trust to see whether a MTB track would ever be possible? I live close by and would be curious to see if it is a lack of funding or other issues. Given that Kickstarter has recently come to Oz, it would be a great campaign if we could raise the funds with a proper plan, similar to Mt Annan but right near the City! If I'm stepping on anyone's toes, let me know, otherwise I might start contacting Centennial to hear their thoughts.

SJ

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
My understanding is the trust made it illegal to ride your bike off the road, even though the vast majority of the trail wear along the fence line is due to runners.

It isn't feasible to build a mountain bike track at centennial park by virtue of the fact that being a mountain bike track it will need to be rough or undulating and thus too many skim goats chai lattes will be spilt resulting in a class action against the land owners.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember riding there back in the late 90's. Some nice undulations and rocks to jump off. I think it was illegal then, but I didn't know and was only visiting Sydney. Riding the sandstone cliffs north of Bondi was far cooler though.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Sjp , don't forget the twist of lemon in those skim double decaf chai lattes that shit is a bitch to get out of your prada bike nicks

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
at the very least a skills park or some DJ/Pump track would be appreciated by the local mtb community/Kids

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
If anything was to even to be considered, it would have to be
small scale and as foxpuppet said something community oriented like a skills park

Filthyfrother

Likes Bikes
Hate to be negative, but there is no way..
I ride it several times a week, as I live on one side of the park and work on the other. There is no riding off road with in the park, but i think the rangers turn a blind eye as long as its not shoved in their face. The outside ring is designated for 'off lead' dog walking, and gee they know how to carry on. Rich, when its their dogs that dig up the trail and cause a lot of the erosion, and cant ignore the shit in bags they leave hanging from trees for the rangers to take care of..
Through my work as a local firefighter, i have dealt with the park trust and i can assure you there is no way they would consider it. There are to many user groups as is, and way to many hassles trying to keep the balance between them all..They started putting up signs about 18 months ago asking people to ring a number and report off road riding. it didnt last long as im sure they realised the people winging are more of a problem.. Also, with the dramas they have with the roadies thinking its their private velodrome, they would be mad to add another bike group to their woes..
I think its best to keep a low profile and take it easy if you see the rangers. And Hopefully we will fly under the radar..
IT has been brought up with the trust on several occasions in the past, but from what ive heard, the negativity towards it blows it out of the water before it gets a start..
In saying all that though, you never no.. Anything is worth a try.

Personally, i think Malabar headland is a much better chance. I would be more than happy to try and get something started on that front. ??

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Hay filthy I never picked you for one of those latte wankers ;-)
I think Malabar is a good idea, not to much out there, apart from all those Malabar mullets.
Grant

8738br

Likes Bikes
There's a plan for a pump track at St Peters next to the rail line on May Lane - Not sure where its up to

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Malabar/Maroubra Trail

+1 on this idea. Would be a great spot, with a great view, and away from the roadies crowd.
Spoke to two guys at Kentlyn on Sunday, who said they were from Maroubra and have been given the go ahead, for a trail by Council and need a builder or builders.

Hey Filthyfrother, didn't get their names but they seemed confident to get a trail there.
You need an old guy with a long beard, to live on the trail to get it done.

Last edited:

natskis

Likes Bikes
There's a plan for a pump track at St Peters next to the rail line on May Lane - Not sure where its up to
HECK YEAH!!!!
That'd be great!

Living in Redfern and working in the city bums me out when there's nothing to ride in the area.
Nothing south of the bridge at all for us :(

I used to ride the outside track but stopped once I was arrogantly told by a dog walker that it was illegal, even though I had ridden by many park rangers who didn't seem to care at all.
Still sure that runners do the most damage to that area.

I believe there is a PDF produced advising that the soil around Centennial was too sandy and couldn't regenerate.

And there was also this post:
http://nswmtb.asn.au/node/34206

There were quite a few points made such as:
* The trust is difficult to deal with
* The track around the outside would cross MANY roads and pathways that would be a major risk
* Latte sipping basket weavers would have issues with it

St Peters is a very short ride away though, and a pump track there would be awesome!

Originally Posted by Filthyfrother View Post
Personally, i think Malabar headland is a much better chance. I would be more than happy to try and get something started on that front. ??
+1 on this idea. Would be a great spot, with a great view, and away from the roadies crowd.

Spoke to two guys at Kentlyn on Sunday, who said they were from Maroubra and have been given the go ahead, for a trail by Council and need a builder or builders.

Hey Filthyfrother, didn't get their names but they seemed confident to get a trail there.
You need an old guy with a long beard, to live on the trail to get it done.

Ohhh this is good to hear :)
Is there a way to help out with this?

Last edited:

quin66

Likes Dirt
So how would you go about finding council info on this? Malabar would be Randwick council. The East desperately needs a legit area for people to ride. Count me in if any way to help out.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have talked to park rangers at Botany bay National Park (at la perouse) and have been told you can ride MTBS on the access tracks but not the dedicated, signposted walking tracks. All of the access tracks lead to the cliffs, and you can follow the cliffs quite a way.

Tried, with some of the Sydney City Ride Farkin crew to get a jump park happening in Cent Park in about 2004/5 but told it was too expensive and no insurance.

I also helped build some (illegal) trails on the malabar headland back in the late 90s, and still ride there (illegally) sometimes, but it gets too sandy as you head around to maroubra, it's more fun just playing on the cliffs.