Central Vic road trip.

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
I'm off to sunny Wagga next week for uni, with 6 days off in the middle. Taking a bike with me of course. Stopping in Albury on the way up to to hit Nail Can Hill.
So where to hit on my time off? Bright? Mt Beauty? I don't mind the mud or a hell climb for a decent down hill.
Done Beechworth a few times already. Heading down to Woodend to stay with some friends as well.
I'm looking for singletrack that ain't too hard to find. Any ideas, pointers or tips muchly appreciated.
Cheers KJ

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that. I've ridden the tracks in Wagga a few times, got time to go further afield this trip.
Cheers.

driftmonkey

Likes Bikes
Trails in Wagga are of but nothing spectacular. Spent last year there and was over them pretty quick.
If you have the time for a day trip, go to Canberra, its only 2 hours by car and you have the options of Stromlo, Majura, and Sparrow. That’s what I ended up most weekends. Most the other places you have mentioned are about the same travel time any way. Just my thoughts

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
For something drop dead beautiful and unique, head up to Mt Buffalo. I'll dig out the track notes and post if you are interested. There will be snow though.

if you have a driver to take the car down, the ride down the mountain can be sensational fun as well.

Knut

Troll hunter
Castlemaine

Try Castlemaine. Awesome town and unbelievable trails. See Jake from Castlemaine Cycles next to the Theatre Royal.

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Yes I should have mentioned Castlemaine.

Try Castlemaine. Awesome town and unbelievable trails. See Jake from Castlemaine Cycles next to the Theatre Royal.
Yes I am selling central Vic way too short, come here, its dry compared to Woodend and only 6hours from wagga wagga. We have several weekly organised XC rides, days of different rides, downhill trails in Maldon 15 mins away by car and TV reception.

While in Wagga there is singletrak to be found in Tumut and beyond. Check with the locals

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Mt Buffalo looks good. I might have time to get to Castlemaine this trip. Is it really 6 hours to Wagga from there?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably closer to 5.

Castlemaine - Alb 3 ish hours
Alb - Wagga 1 1/2 ish hours
1/2 hour fudge, petrol and coffee time.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
There is so much in Castlemaine that I reckon you'll be frustrated with a day's riding there. Take the time to book some accommodation and stay a few days. Also watch a movie in the theatre next to the bike shop too.