Centre lock vs 6 bolt

Petero

Likes Dirt
I'm sure there have been discussions on this, but search did not let me find what I was after.

I'm looking to buy/build a new wheelset and have been doing some research.
Obviously, centre lock and 6 bolt options have come up in my findings. Mainly due to the seeming lack of 15mm TA hubs (that aren't centrelock)...

I understand there are possible 'warping' issues with using centre lock to 6 bolt adaptors..? ANYWAY

My question is simply (please ignore my newbieness), can you not just use centre lock rotors? Or will the rotor be well out of whack with the brake calipers?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
You can use centrelock rotors, with centrelock hubs.
Or, centrelock rotors with 6bolt hubs with an adaptor and they will line up fine. That's the only way they will ever line up with the calipers/pads.

The DT Swiss adaptors are fine. Warping issues? Maybe if they aren't tightened to 40nm, or installed incorrectly, or put on by a noob that dosn't know what they are doing.
But if you line up the thread right, tighten them properly you'll have no warping problems.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
With regards to the alignment, the Center lock splines sit well inboard of where the disc brake mounts would on a standard 6-bolt set up. (If you look and compare two hubs, you'll see that the adapter more or less makes up the width of the 'flange' that the rotor would otherwise bolt to on a 6-bolt set up (I hope this makes sense).

Shimano make excellent brakes and I wouldn't hesitate to use their Centerlock rotors. Weight difference is fairly minimal too - compare a 127g XTR rotor (without lockring) to a ~90g rotor + 30g DT Swiss adaptor (+lockring). Never used an adapter - warping may be something to look into but I've never heard of it to be honest.

I guess the real advantage of Centerlock is that rotors are much easier to interchange - less likely to start stripping torx heads in frustration!

Petero

Likes Dirt
I should probably clarify, to make it easier on myself and other to understand.

I will be interchanging two wheelsets, can one be centrelock and the other 6 bolt?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I should probably clarify, to make it easier on myself and other to understand.

I will be interchanging two wheelsets, can one be centrelock and the other 6 bolt?
Yeah mate. Have 6-bolt on one, CL on the other.

What you can't do is put a CL rotor on a 6-bolt hub.