CF Frame Durability

Hi Guys,
I am new to the road bike scene, having done mtb all my life.

Quick question about the durability of CF road bike frames and how easy it is to crack/break them.
My scenario is a bike for commuting to work, about 150km/week.

Would a CF frame withstand (say a basic Pinarello FP2: 24HM carbon with 12K finish) commuting bumps and gutter ramps at high speed 35km/h+? Or even the rare gutter drop at low speeds? I guess I am after some re-assurance for having a CF frame vs. a alloy one for my specific use.

Thanks.
Boris.

scblack

Leucocholic
I reckon you'll be right. I have been commuting once a week 35km each way from Baulkham Hills to Circular Quay on an alloy Cinelli.

I am currently building up a carbon Chinarello so I am in the same boat as you. I am confident it will be fine. All carbon parts except rims.

Now I have a nice carbon bike I might step that up to twice a week (not in winter).

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
It will be strong enough to handle bumps, gutter drops and anything normal that you do when your riding. But my concern would be locking it up. you can use a good lock to stop people from stealing it, but theres nothing you can do about the bike being damaged. all it takes is some clumsy idiot to lock their bike up next to yours and their pedal or something can damage your frame. If its just for commuting, I would look at something that can withstand a bit more impact damage.

Thanks guys, this inspires further confidence for a CF frame.
Atleast Pinarello have a 3yr frame warranty.

In terms of lockup, i'm lucky in a way that I can bring my bike into the office and the shower/change room is close by too. :)

29er

Likes Bikes
Have a look on you tube for some footage of Paris - Roubaix. It'll give you an idea of the durability.

akashra

Eats Squid
I've put 25,000km on a Giant TCR Alliance, so it's not full carbon, but it has carbon stays, carbon downtube, carbon seatpost...
No problems yet, and I treat it like a cyclocross bike - it gets a lot of use on cobbles, it's even run over a cat (don't ask).

Half of that distance was put on Shimano R500 wheels, which everyone said are rubbish yet are still true. They went very slightly out of true with the cat thing though...

scblack

Leucocholic
I've put 25,000km on a Giant TCR Alliance, so it's not full carbon, but it has carbon stays, carbon downtube, carbon seatpost...
No problems yet, and I treat it like a cyclocross bike - it gets a lot of use on cobbles, it's even run over a cat (don't ask).

Half of that distance was put on Shimano R500 wheels, which everyone said are rubbish yet are still true. They went very slightly out of true with the cat thing though...
Good man! I hate cats. I hope it copped a good injury for putting your wheel out of true. joking

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I was thinking there needs to be more investigation into this cat thing!

I just got a Giant Defy advanced and was wondering how much 'stress' they can take. any help would be good,

thanks

rek

Likes Dirt
Non weight-weenie carbon frames are tough, they aren't Faberge eggs. It will deal just fine with the daily realities and annoyances of city and suburban commuting. If anything, it'll test the build quality of your wheels well before the frame.

Over the years I've regularly ridden my 2005 Cannondale Synapse carbon through all manner of poorly-sealed inner city streets, gravel trails, and the occasional singletrack shortcut with nothing ever remotely resembling a problem. And I'm a big guy, too.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I've got a look 586 (which I think qualifies as a weight weenie frame) which has coped quite well with 2 1/2 years and 30,000km + of abuse... I weigh somewhere between 80-85kgs so not exactly a weight weenie rider...

So far the frame has outlasted 2 sets of wheels (R-Sys and a TWE set), 2 rear derailleurs, (1 wore out, the other died in a crash), 2 (left) shifters (again, one crash one just wore out) and an impact with a car on the M2...

I suspect it won't last forever but its done well so far... :)