Chain breaker tool, which one?

Baino

Likes Bikes
Hi all, just after people opinions on best chain breaker tool for shimano 10sp chain, I'm fairly new to all this so people help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hi all, just after people opinions on best chain breaker tool for shimano 10sp chain, I'm fairly new to all this so people help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
I have several and the best of the collection are the Shimano and Park Tools.

Just dont buy a cheap one and it will serve you well.

Baino

Likes Bikes
I have several and the best of the collection are the Shimano and Park Tools.

Just dont buy a cheap one and it will serve you well.
Thanks for the reply mate, iv been looking online which park tool one are you talking about also is it small enough to go in the back of camelback?

moorey

call me Mia
Everyone should have a decent quality, dedicated breaker in the workshop/toolbox, but for carrying on the trail, i've never had a problem with either of the ones on my multi tool. One is a park, other is CB. Unlike everything else CB i have used, this works a treat.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig.
only recently started using an 11 speed chain on one bike build because the wheels came with an 11 speed cassette and XD driver ,OMG the pins are strong.
I have to put the chain tool handle in the vice and use an extender on the winding bit.
Yes I line everything up nicely and never have had a problem with 9 speed,10 speed is harder ,11 is harder again.
What do others do ?
What is a really strong chain tool with lots of leverage , my hands are starting to get osteoarthritis so I dont want to make them worse ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Grave dig.
only recently started using an 11 speed chain on one bike build because the wheels came with an 11 speed cassette and XD driver ,OMG the pins are strong.
I have to put the chain tool handle in the vice and use an extender on the winding bit.
Yes I line everything up nicely and never have had a problem with 9 speed,10 speed is harder ,11 is harder again.
What do others do ?
What is a really strong chain tool with lots of leverage , my hands are starting to get osteoarthritis so I dont want to make them worse ?
Something like this is what I use. If you need more leverage you could undo the support handle, put the hex-body in the vice, and slip a bit of metal tube over the winding handle.

[EDIT] Fixed pic-link:

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
my CB mini-tool breaker has 3.3mm pin, but my moto breakers have options with 3mm also which might work? (supr overkill?)

the cheap moto ones fit in vice easily and use sockets for stupid leverage, but the pins can be made of soft cheese...
like these

some measurements for giggles... slightly bigger than bicycle chain breaker. would need a plate with smaller hole for under chain when punching
1710657506738.png

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Something like this is what I use. If you need more leverage you could undo the support handle, put the hex-body in the vice, and slip a bit of metal tube over the winding handle.
That looks a bit like the one I mangled today. I had the handle in the vice, tubing over the winder and I think it stripped the thread inside the body because I could not back it off easily .
[EDIT] Fixed pic-link:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
That Abbey stuff is beautiful but I was thinking more of motor bike or chainsaw standard those pins are tough.
Anyone know if the Parktool stuff is worth it ?
What is the standard pin size ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sounds weird. I don't have hand issues but can wind a pin out with the stubby lever bar shown. Once the seals pop the pins normally wind out really easy, can't imagine a thread getting stripped or binding from that.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

[EDIT] Fixed pic-link:
That's one of the types I have, looks like it was made for industrial-type chains originally but still works well on bike chains and it's the easiest one on my hands because of the larger handles.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah bought this one to carry cos fixing someones 12 speed the other day, the one on the multi tool was complaining.
He is a rough sort of rider and pulled the link out doing a gear change.