Chain/Cassette wear in relation to chainrings

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Just a bit of a technical question

Say a chain has worn to the point the park tools guage fits in at 1 and wiggles a little bit, The chain and cassette would be toast, But would the chainrings still be salveagable?

Do chain rings wear at the same point as cassettes or can you usually get a little bit more life out of the chainrings?
Reason being is i'm not going to be spending anything on new chain/cassette/chainrings on this bike so I was wondering if just replacing the chain and cassette would suffice...

trav

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Say a chain has worn to the point the park tools guage fits in at 1 and wiggles a little bit, The chain and cassette would be toast, But would the chainrings still be salveagable?

Do chain rings wear at the same point as cassettes or can you usually get a little bit more life out of the chainrings?
Reason being is i'm not going to be spending anything on new chain/cassette/chainrings on this bike so I was wondering if just replacing the chain and cassette would suffice...
No chance , chain rings will be toasted as well.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Chain rings are much more tolerant of wear though , you can use them the whole set up until the gears wont change properly or chain falls apart.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Chain rings are much more tolerant of wear though , you can use them the whole set up until the gears wont change properly or chain falls apart.
Yeah, that's what I found, more teeth and a larger diameter to grip on. It all depends how worn the front chainring is, if it's only run a little while with a slightly worn chain, they normally don't slip.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but a reading of 1 on a park guage with wiggle room is beyond normal wear, it's like a zombie chain roaming the streets of your drivetrain wreaking havoc and destruction. My vote is for a complete new drivetrain. You ideally want to replace a chain before 0.75.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hi All,

Chain rings wear at a slower rate for reasons mentioned. It is very evident when they are worn though.

If in doubt compare the suspect one against a good one, you will easily detect wear.

If the bike is going to see some use, and the chain ring is worn, even if not quite to the skipping point, it will wear the chain at an accelerated rate along with the sprockets most commonly used. So defeats the purpose.

This is the most likely senario from your description:

Yeah but a reading of 1 on a park guage with wiggle room is beyond normal wear, it's like a zombie chain roaming the streets of your drivetrain wreaking havoc and destruction. My vote is for a complete new drivetrain. You ideally want to replace a chain before 0.75.

Last edited: