Chain degreaser - Turps or Metho?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Ok gonna put it out there....Coca cola!

Buy full fat coke, empty half the bottle, put chain in, put top on and shake! Comes out clean, looking sparkly and new.

urgh and think of what that stuff does to your insides........

redbruce

Eats Squid
Well I've ended up using turps, ran the chain twice through the cleaner, cleared out HEAPS of gunk. And cleared off a lot from the outside, which a rag could not get.

Loaded it up twice with lube. Looking good.

Incidentally, I have been using White Lightning lube up til now. On both roadie and DH. Now giving Rock'n'Roll Absolute Dry a go. Perfect for the roadie, may not be perfect for the DH bike.

Anyone used the Rock'n'Roll Absolute Dry on a DH bike? Is it going to pick up dirt or dust much? I do not ride in mud much at all, if ever.
Have used lots of chain cleaning regimes and lubes over the last 25 years on road, touring, BMX and MTB. I've come to the conclusion that I dont get any longer life from a chain pulling it off and soaking in solvent than leaving it on the bike and using a chain cleaning device (currently Park Tools). I also dont get any better life from components running multiple chains (at least based on experience with 8000km commuting and touring annually, over several years and in all conditions).

Best result has been using a dry lube so the chain can be wiped down and there is little for dirt to stick to. However the dry stuff is useless in the wet. Then I use Finishline green and increase the chain washing (which is really more a case of flushing/ diluting the muck in the rollers and pins). I'm yet to see evidence than more thorough cleaning actually extends chain life.

For a dry lube I reckon R&R gold cant be beat. Lasts much longer than White Lightning.

scblack

Leucocholic
Have used lots of chain cleaning regimes and lubes over the last 25 years on road, touring, BMX and MTB. I've come to the conclusion that I dont get any longer life from a chain pulling it off and soaking in solvent than leaving it on the bike and using a chain cleaning device (currently Park Tools). I also dont get any better life from components running multiple chains (at least based on experience with 8000km commuting and touring annually, over several years and in all conditions).

Best result has been using a dry lube so the chain can be wiped down and there is little for dirt to stick to. However the dry stuff is useless in the wet. Then I use Finishline green and increase the chain washing (which is really more a case of flushing/ diluting the muck in the rollers and pins). I'm yet to see evidence than more thorough cleaning actually extends chain life.

For a dry lube I reckon R&R gold cant be beat. Lasts much longer than White Lightning.
Cheers mate, I reckon I agree with you overall. Chain life is more determined by the gunk and dirt getting into it and how mechanically unsympathetic you want to be with it when changing gears etc.

White Lightning is a disaster for the chain cleaner - tried to open it to clean chain recently, and the waxy residue had essentially welded it shut. Had to chuck it out, I did get it open but was unusable. For the roadie, R&R Absolute dry is great as I don't really ride it in the wet. I'll have to get some R&R Gold for the DH bike.

redbruce

Eats Squid
but in saying that, it is still a hydrocarbon. so it will still break down the mellanin in your skin and leave you prone to skin cancer.
Not sure of the evidence for that one but it is well documented that organic solvents, including citrus oil, will extract the lipids (fats, oils, waxes) in your skin, disrupting the skins barrier functions and all that goes with them.

The level of extraction and hence loss of barrier function varies depending on the solvent used. Additionally some solvents will contain hazardous compounds such as in petrol (benzene, toluene) that are known to have significant negative health consequences.

Citrus oil has come into vogue because it is an effective solvent for a wide range of materials and is considered a safer alternative (for us and the environment) to crude oil fractions.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And all those car parts I used to clean in petrol helping a mechanic friend of Mums when I was a kid:)

Must say I would still have a tendency to be a bit blase about cleaning my hands with degreaser or petrol on rare occasions.

redbruce

Eats Squid
And all those car parts I used to clean in petrol helping a mechanic friend of Mums when I was a kid:)

Must say I would still have a tendency to be a bit blase about cleaning my hands with degreaser or petrol on rare occasions.
Degreaser is basically kero and surfactant (soap if you like). Petrol really is very nasty stuff.

Last edited:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The kerosene bath at the place I did work experience was an experience in itself.