Chain Length

jailbait

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I've been having issues with my chain hitting my spokes and rim on my hardtail, I figured my chain must be too long.

I've had it so the two pullys on the derailleur were about in line about vertically when the bike is in first gear (it's 9 speed only). I would guess that is too short.

Basically roughly what position should I have the derailleur in when it's in first gear? i.e. how stretched forward should the cage be.

Pics would be great! I would've taken some but my bike is in pieces at the moment.

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
single speed
there all your problems fixed
naa umm do you mean when you shift into a higher gear they hit the rim and spokes ?
if so your derailer or hanger could be bent ?
check if there bent or not if not try taking out a link or 2 see how that go's if it dosent you can allways put them back in

jailbait

Likes Bikes
This picture here, from the parktools website, shows what I was asking:

Basically the angle that the derailleur cage should be when the bike is in first gear.

The whole article is here.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
The correct length for a chain is two links bigger than what is required to go around the two largest cogs you are running. Nothing to do with the derailleur angle.

Bypass the derailleur and put the chain on the two biggest cogs, add two links in length and reinstall. Done.