Chain life of SLX 12 speed chains??

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
maybe give was a go, i love it as fine dirt doesn’t stick, jockey wheels stay clean..i use a kmart rice cooker, heat up candles, add paraffin oil, when melted let chain sit 5-10 you’re done, let cool. petrol clean chain before starting
So much, so wrong.

It's all in the prep. But waxing is the shiz. Don't use petrol, it leaves an oil residue. Don't use candles, unless you know they're 100% pure paraffin. Don't add oil, it's makes the dirt stick

This is the method I use
MSW Chain Prep

Mineral Spirits = Mineral Turps
Denatured Alcohol = Methylated Spirits

And 100% pure low melt paraffin wax
Low Melt Paraffin

Sees 200+ dusty kilometres per week. I run 5 chains so I only have to wax once a month. But if you only do 200km per month one chain will see you thru. Chuck it in the slow cooker while you wash, lower leg service etc etc

Cheap candles are an option. But they HAVE to be pure. Any added oils (like fragrances) will make the dirt stick and you're back to square 1

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So much, so wrong.

It's all in the prep. But waxing is the shiz. Don't use petrol, it leaves an oil residue. Don't use candles, unless you know they're 100% pure paraffin. Don't add oil, it's makes the dirt stick

This is the method I use
MSW Chain Prep

Mineral Spirits = Mineral Turps
Denatured Alcohol = Methylated Spirits

And 100% pure low melt paraffin wax
Low Melt Paraffin

Sees 200+ dusty kilometres per week. I run 5 chains so I only have to wax once a month. But if you only do 200km per month one chain will see you thru. Chuck it in the slow cooker while you wash, lower leg service etc etc

Cheap candles are an option. But they HAVE to be pure. Any added oils (like fragrances) will make the dirt stick and you're back to square 1
I might have to look into this I think with our conditions. Especially as I ONLY did 200km last month. It's been a slow month ok!!!

Cardy George

I might have to look into this I think with our conditions. Especially as I ONLY did 200km last month. It's been a slow month ok!!!
Do yourself a favour tho, buy a brand new chain(s). I use KMC around the $35 mark. The absolute key to it all is having a totally oil free chain. The wax sticks like shit to a blanket on bare metal, not so much on oily metal.

DMan

Do yourself a favour tho, buy a brand new chain(s). I use KMC around the $35 mark. The absolute key to it all is having a totally oil free chain. The wax sticks like shit to a blanket on bare metal, not so much on oily metal.
I'm stuck with Shimano though it seems due to 12sp. But I'll grab a couple of new SLX chains and give it a go. Where do you get your wax? Something like this??

Cardy George

I'm stuck with Shimano though it seems due to 12sp. But I'll grab a couple of new SLX chains and give it a go. Where do you get your wax? Something like this??
Lol, that's my link ;), but yes, that's the stuff. My batch is due to be replaced, but 1kg has done 2 years now

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
So much, so wrong.

the amount of oil in the petrol is tiny, and as paraffin wax (or petroleum wax) is derived from petroleum and actually has oil in it - the oil has a slightly lower Carbon number & happily combines with wax so isn’t a problem.
Even if present it just thins out the wax slightly, as does the paraffin - using pure wax even small amounts of oil are not enough to get dirt to stick to the wax, most of the additives in fancy candles are solids at room temperature, so it isn’t a problem either in regard it won’t be sticky i use the cheapest candle i can get, they seem to be the most basic wax only, nothing in them
i tried pure candles but the wax is a bit thick & heavy it tended to cake on the chain when drying

Cardy George

the amount of oil in the petrol is tiny, and as paraffin wax (or petroleum wax) is derived from petroleum and actually has oil in it - the oil has a slightly lower Carbon number & happily combines with wax so isn’t a problem.
Even if present it just thins out the wax slightly, as does the paraffin - using pure wax even small amounts of oil are not enough to get dirt to stick to the wax, most of the additives in fancy candles are solids at room temperature, so it isn’t a problem either in regard it won’t be sticky i use the cheapest candle i can get, they seem to be the most basic wax only, nothing in them
i tried pure candles but the wax is a bit thick & heavy it tended to cake on the chain when drying
Yep, you do you.

I'll do 2.5 years/ 20,000km of real world dirt commuting experience.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I do wonder. When I get home from a ride my driveline sounds like I've poured sand in it. I do wipe down and lube for that reason after every ride, but there's still grit in there. But I've still got good life out of Eagle and KMC chains.
I bought 3 x 10 speed Deore chains years ago and didn't get very good life out of them compared to the XT and XTR. If you're getting surface rust on the chain after rides, it's helping the quick demise of it.

DMan

I bought 3 x 10 speed Deore chains years ago and didn't get very good life out of them compared to the XT and XTR. If you're getting surface rust on the chain after rides, it's helping the quick demise of it.
No, nothing like that. It looked good. That's why I was surprised by the wear. I am tempted to try XTR. To see how long it lasts

teK--

Eats Squid
I thought that was just the high end Eagle chains due to larger rollers?
Yeh not sure about that it was just an idea!

I bought a 12spd tool which I am lead to believe also results in a more accurate measurement for lesser speed chains as it doesn't push the far ends of rollers towards each other thus skewing the measurement.

It maintains a consistent roller/pin position at both ends of measurement to give you true wear.

IMO just wiping down the chain doesn't do a lot for debris that gets caught within the rollers and pins. That is where a lot of wear occurs.

Get a park tool chain scrubber or any other brand of chain cleaner tool, and really immerse the fucker in degreaser to get sand and dirt out periodically.

DMan

Yeh not sure about that it was just an idea!

I bought a 12spd tool which I am lead to believe also results in a more accurate measurement for lesser speed chains as it doesn't push the far ends of rollers towards each other thus skewing the measurement.

It maintains a consistent roller/pin position at both ends of measurement to give you true wear.

IMO just wiping down the chain doesn't do a lot for debris that gets caught within the rollers and pins. That is where a lot of wear occurs.

Get a park tool chain scrubber or any other brand of chain cleaner tool, and really immerse the fucker in degreaser to get sand and dirt out periodically.
I do. But after a ride (Night ride) I figure a wipe and relube is better than nothing. Coincidentally, I had fully degreased that chain twice with RideMechanic degreaser.
What is your chain measurement tool?