Chain reaction cycles

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Ordered some parts on CRC on friday for $102 -- a few hours later I saw a frame on clearance and bought it for $966..

Tracking says they despatched "3 hours" apart from each other. I'm wondering if I will get screwed by customs?

Also, I dont believe CRC put my email or phone on the package. Is it up to me to call customs when and if it appears to be stuck with them?

Really hoping they just pass both parcels through without a glitch .. I've heard they can add the value of parcels together

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ordered some parts on CRC on friday for $102 -- a few hours later I saw a frame on clearance and bought it for $966..

Tracking says they despatched "3 hours" apart from each other. I'm wondering if I will get screwed by customs?

Also, I dont believe CRC put my email or phone on the package. Is it up to me to call customs when and if it appears to be stuck with them?

Really hoping they just pass both parcels through without a glitch .. I've heard they can add the value of parcels together
They'll find you. Likely they will want you to prove the purchase was really under $1000 and the invoice isn't falsified. Hit crc up for a pdf of the Invoice, that should be enough.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Conversely I just did something similar. Ordered a frame that was well over the threshold, and ordered some wheels and other parts on the same day, a) to try and beat paying GST on those items and b) to avoid paying bulky item postage from CRC.

Ordered during the week, items left CRC on the same day. Both hit Oz on a sunday. Frame got pulled up by customs. Got in touch with toll who were the carrier at this end first thing monday morning, they sent me through a form to give them authority to clear the item on my behalf. Wheels and parts turned up on tuesday without any need for me to pay gst on them, toll sent off paper work to their broker, sent me an invoice which I payed and they released the frame the same day.

If customs do pull you up(which they can do if they decide to combine your packages, which is not uncommon but also luck of the draw) you'll pay GST on both packages, no duty on the frame, I don't think there's duty on the parts either, around 83 dollars in customs charges (lodgement fee and something else) and whatever toll/your broker charges (toll are around 70 dollars for this) so expect ~250 if customs do pull you up.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Well amazingly both items turned up today about 3 hours apart from each other, no customs interference or anything/

Also paid on Friday afternoon and they arrived today, under 72 hours to my door is pretty good for free shipping

cjdean1

Cannon Fodder
Has anyone else noticed that CRC are becoming more and more like Bunnings/Supermarkets? I.e. a little bit of almost everything, but lacking detail when you're after something specific?

Beej1

Well amazingly both items turned up today about 3 hours apart from each other, no customs interference or anything/

Also paid on Friday afternoon and they arrived today, under 72 hours to my door is pretty good for free shipping
It's dark magic ... the route by which any package leaves their Ireland HQ and arrives at its destination. I ordered Thur last week and it's "left London". That's all I know.

Haven't ordered in probably 9 months. Buying bike parts has become such an infrequent thing nowadays that I'm once again eagerly anticipating arrival of parts, and frustrated they weren't teleported to me instantaneously.

EDIT: Anyone else notice from that CRC article, that they apparently have 3 customer service assistants stationed in Antarctica?
http://reviews.mtbr.com/chain-reaction-cycles-inside-worlds-largest-on-line-bike-shop/crc-warehouse1

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I dont order much from CRC anymore but was grabbing a few parts for my boys bikes and they were the cheapest with some clearance stuff + needed some High5 energy mix.

Spotted a pair of shorts, did a bit of research on size and ordered them a couple of days later... for $112.

Listing to a mate in work talking about some new shorts and told him about the TLD Ace shorts and that they seemed pretty good, plus on clearance for $112.

Brought them up on the site and weird shit going on !

Up to $134.99au, did a refresh in UK pounds and only 53.99UK pounds.

53.99UK = $87.91au

$134.99au = 82.90UK pounds

Seems CRC is on the Aussie gouging train now.

Attachments

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ozzybmx you might be onto something there, but suspect it's worth checking either way; I recalc'd a recent order in GBP and it worked out ~$40AUD worse at the checkout if I'd selected in GBP. Who knows.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I agree there's something fishy on crc. Has anyone ordered in GBP? I was looking at a frame and it's about 61 AUD cheaper in GBP.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ozzybmx you might be onto something there, but suspect it's worth checking either way; I recalc'd a recent order in GBP and it worked out ~$40AUD worse at the checkout if I'd selected in GBP. Who knows.
I agree there's something fishy on crc. Has anyone ordered in GBP? I was looking at a frame and it's about 61 AUD cheaper in GBP.
We are meant to be saving 20% GST on UK prices !!!

Best about it is, I'm from N Ireland and my whole family still lives there, I occasionally buy stuff from ebay.co.uk where they will only post to the UK and send it to my Mum or Brother to ship out to me.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I think from talking to a work colleague yesterday the GBP is in a bit of flux at the moment compared to our AUD. However I think whatever amount saved by making payment in another currency would work out the same as either paypal or the bank would probably have some kind of currency conversion fee.
Nice to be able to send stuff from family.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think from talking to a work colleague yesterday the GBP is in a bit of flux at the moment compared to our AUD. However I think whatever amount saved by making payment in another currency would work out the same as either paypal or the bank would probably have some kind of currency conversion fee.
Nice to be able to send stuff from family.

Wouldn't call it flux, the pound has been shit vs. the Aussie since Brexit - around 61 pence per dollar at present when it used to hover around 50-55. It's still no excuse for online stores not to use current exchange rates for transactions. Paypal currency conversion premium is 4% for GBP to AUD (link), and how they calculate exchange rates here, although it's not clear if the 2.5% they add to their wholesale exchange rate is in addition to the currency conversion rate?

If the foreign currency price is that much better, then one of those conversion-fee-free credit cards would be the way to go; Bankwest or 28 degrees etc. The only drawback is that you may not get some of the buyer protections that Paypal has and you're giving your credit card details to the vendor.