chain type?

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
so got a 36t front chain ring, 20t rear sprocket on my nearly finished ss mtb (29er) and a dmr chain tensioner. problem is I cant get the chain length. the length it is now is too slack with the tensioner, remove another link to short. will a half link connector rectify this? chain is a 9spd kmc

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Should do the job, 'cos it makes the step from outer to inner link in one link (1/2") instead of two links (1"). For 9-sp. you need a 3/32" link.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I ain't never seen a half-link 9-sp. chain....

I have in the past used a single half link to achieve what the OP wants to do.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Easy....

A bike drive train uses a 1/2" link pitch (the distance between each link pin and corresponding sprocket teeth), whether it's a regular or a half link chain. A regular chain alternates inner and outer links, so there are two links (1") required to make joinable ends. There fore your chain is always an even number of links.

A half link combines inner and outer mating ends within one pitch length instead of two, thereby allowing the chain length to be determined by the 1/2" instead of the 1".

The OP's predicament is that at x chain length (with conventionally matching ends), the chain is too slack. Removing two pitch lengths to get z length results in not enough chain. So if we take off one pitch length, resulting in y length , we have the problem of having two ends the same, and they won't join. so we replace one of those end links with a half link, there's the solution.

You can not use half links, either singly or a complete chain, on N/W rings.

moorey

call me Mia
I feel like the guy asking about the availability of a 33t NW chain.

I believe you, I just can't picture it, no matter how well you explained it. It will be obvious when I see it, I struggle with mental imagery, among other things.