Chainreaction Experience

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

A question formed as a longish story...

... I was about to pull the trigger on Vitus 20+ for my 5yo from CRC. First time CRC user, had added to my cart, was priced at AU$570 + AU$60 shipping - AU$20 voucher for first time buyer. Worked to around $610 landed, making it the best bang for buck out of similar specked rides from Orbea, Commencal, Merida, etc.

Now, late Wed night I shot them a quick email to ask about shipping time versus delays due to Covid19. Response came late yesterday saying "shipping time advised at checkout". As they missed the reason for my question, I then replied immediately saying "yep, I see 5-7 days in checkout, but you also have a warning on the home page about C19 related delays, therefore my Q is... are you experiencing and if if so how long"?

I logged on today, no reply yet, but price on both the bike and shipping jumped significantly overnight (i.e. in my carted item). Bike went up to $680, shipping up to $100, so its now a circa $760 bike ($150 jump), meaning the actually better specked/lighter Orbea and Merida now beat it for price (and access as can get locally with 12 months servicing).

Has anyone seen this before (re prices jumping on a carted item)?

I've seen price change of course, but on a carted item, when a query on that item was in play for that item, both item and shipping jumped and by 25%!!!??? Exchange rates did not do that overnight, so that cant explain it.

I've sent another email asking for an explanation, but suspect I'll not get one quickly, so will likely go one of the other bike options.

stirk

Burner
I recently bought a helmet from a local supplier who had it in local stock and the cart price jumped 10% in the time I added the item to doing some other shopping and then checking out. This price rise was probably based on the current AUD value and how that will influence ongoing costs but also other Covid19 factors such as expected downturn in business is now forcing some retailers to add % across their range to counter expected lower volume over the coming months. Lower dollar means replenishing stock will cost more so you pass on the higher cost and add margin to existing stock to balance the cost increases on existing stock too.

Or it could be a really sneaky sales tactic to snag more margin from emotive shoppers.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watching PC and home gym prices lately, both have had 20% price rises in the last 2 weeks and availability issues. Exchange rates and supply pressures

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Yeah right. Will teach me to take my time!

Stirk, I did wonder that and damn bad form if that's what it is. Plus as I mentioned, only reason I did not pay right away was I engaged with them to rightfully check the shipping situation under the current C19 conditions.

Anyway... the Mrs is not happy (she loved the silver/brown, skinwall look of the Vituus), but looks like I'll now go either the Orbea of Merida offerings. At least I save a few $ and it gets him hydro discs and about 0.5-0.7kg overall lighter.

Macr

Likes Dirt
... I was about to pull the trigger on Vitus 20+
<SNIP>
I just received a Vitus Sentier from Wiggle (CRC & Wiggle are one and the same now). Took about 9 days delivered. Took a world tour, but got here.

I logged on today, no reply yet, but price on both the bike and shipping jumped significantly overnight (i.e. in my carted item). Bike went up to $680, shipping up to $100, so its now a circa $760 bike ($150 jump), meaning the actually better specked/lighter Orbea and Merida now beat it for price (and access as can get locally with 12 months servicing).

Has anyone seen this before (re prices jumping on a carted item)?
Welcome to the $AUD falling. I was glad I got in when I did.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
supply chain issues + decreasing AUD + increasing demands on postal services + gouging is now happening = Corona tax.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Just an update.

Took 5 days to respond. Got a generic email something about trying their best to source at best prices, etc. Never responded to my actual questions (twice mind you) or explained the reason for the price-hikes for item and shipping. Whether due to what may of you suggest or otherwise, you'd think they'd answer the actual question.

Clearly not valued by them, so easy choice to not spend any money at CRC/Wiggle. Still havent picked an alternate 20" MTB to the Vitus, but have been loving spending my $$$ at MTB Direct lately anyway. Good prices, fast shipping, easy/unconditional returns and have always answered my questions quickly! ;-)

stirk

Burner
I ordered from wiggle who own CRC a couple of weeks ago, package is still sitting in London, stuck at the airport for over a week as there are stuff all planes flying. Don't order anything from overseas right now if you can help it is my advice due to carrier delays.

Richo82

Squid
I ordered on Sunday and noticed the free shipping was via DHL express.

Was in the Midlands UK on Tuesday, now in Leipzig Germany.

Estimated delivery is the 16th at the moment.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ordered on Sunday and noticed the free shipping was via DHL express.

Was in the Midlands UK on Tuesday, now in Leipzig Germany.

Estimated delivery is the 16th at the moment.
I’ve been looking at parts on some of the German sites lately and recently some have listed that they can’t ship to Australia due to DHL restrictions. I hope this doesn’t affect your purchase

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I ordered from CRC on Sunday and it hit customs at Perth this arvo. Suspect I won't get it till Tuesday now tho.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I ordered on 21st March. Still not here. It’s also not showing in my order history.
I ‘live chatted’, they assure me it’s on the way. He says I probably wasn’t logged in when I ordered. BS, I always log in. As if I want to manually add all my details again.
I also ordered on 23rd. Not here, not showing in my order history.
Anyone else getting this crap lately? CRC have always been good until this.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ordered something on the 2nd of April and it's has already arrived in Melbourne, cleared customs and likely to be delivered tomorrow.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Luck of the draw perhaps. I've double checked my tracking and my package has been sitting at London Heathrow for two weeks now. I'm sure I'll get it one day, the package that is, not covid19, I've probably already had that.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not CRC but still got a HiBike package stuck in Melbourne since the 25th March, over 2 weeks.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
ordered from wiggle on 23rd march parcel delivered yesterday...16 days. not too bad considering whats going on

ordered elbow pads + chain about 1 week ago .
Elbow pads arrived todaybut ? chain ??
local versus overseas stock....? wiggle / crc have a warehouse presence here so will send local in stock items first