Chainstay protection Velcro vs Rubber

Velcro or Rubber

• Total voters

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Soooo ... I've noticed recently a bit of a trend towards velcro ... as opposed to the ol' inner tube / rubber jobbies.

So whats your poison and what are the benefits.

Me ... I prefer to use rubber as it deadens the noise ... not just protects the stay. I actually also use the fluffy side of the velcro for the upper stay, as this will be hitting less frequently and not as hard IMO.

I've noticed on Mr Hill's demo that he has a tennis grip like wrapper (custom painted / logo'd up) ... which wraps on nice, tight and compact ... I think there is an aussie company that makes something similar ... anybody know what I'm talking about and put up a link.

Ta

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Im all about the rubbers.

A punctured tube and some cable ties.......... your set.

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
I've noticed on Mr Hill's demo that he has a tennis grip like wrapper (custom painted / logo'd up) ... which wraps on nice, tight and compact ... I think there is an aussie company that makes something similar ... anybody know what I'm talking about and put up a link.

Ta
Not sure what you're talking about... but would something like bar tape work as something similar to what Sam is using?

It's a soft, synthetic cork kind of material, so would certainly deaden the noise. Not sure how it would hold up against repeated impact from the chain though.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Fluffy velco for sure. Looks way neater and is incredibly quiet.
you reckon its quieter ??? it definitely lowers the tone of the chain slap, but it still "thunks" in there.

I was going to velcro, and found this cool dense Felt with adhesive backing (thicker then velcro) but I could still here the slapping out back. (if your near a Clark Rubber its a must for cable rub areas ... mud wash off nice too)

Velcro does look neater though.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Not sure what you're talking about... but would something like bar tape work as something similar to what Sam is using?

It's a soft, synthetic cork kind of material, so would certainly deaden the noise. Not sure how it would hold up against repeated impact from the chain though.
Sorry ... wrong rig

Syndicate V10s have it

There are better shots ... which I'll put up if I find it.

BTW ... yep ... bar tape could work

J

JaRedy

Do both? Thats what I did on my giant...
On my Gt dhi I run the fluffy stuff. It really is alot neater, plus on the bikes with a thick chainstay (e.g. DHI and oranges), its much more convienent.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Back when I was cashed up, I fitted my Blur with a Velcro chainstay guard because it would be lighter and I'm a wanker. These days I'm too tight to waste cash on that sort of thing, so I get creative with zip ties and old tubes. I've seen DH bikes using sections cut from tyres as stay guards; overkill perhaps.
One thing I'll still go Velcro for, is a rear shock boot; just don't forget to clean underneath it every once in a while.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a tube + cable ties, I always get annoyed at the velcro moving twisting and the fact it can be a particular sucker for getting nice and dirty.

I did try ductape once, It worked fantastically because it was easy to apply (and cheap!), but I found out that it wore through after about 6 weeks and it was NOISY!

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you can use heatshrink if can access the lower stay.

I have put it on several bikes and it looks professional and keeps it very quite.

beat me to it!

^^^

yep frameskin is the company and framewrap is the product.

'bout 10 bucks a roll plus shipping - i think they are in canberra. The stuff is pretty cool as it only sticks to itself so there is no gluey crap stuck to the frame if you ever take it off. I just put some on my nice new covert to protect the pretty green paint job and it does the job well.

dh1

Likes Dirt
wrap around the chainstay twice with a sheet of bubble wrap and then some black electrical tape (or what ever colour matches your bike. turns out the same as the santa cruz v10's pictured above.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I just use velcro at the moment as I have access to rolls and rolls of the shite working with data cabling and such, havent tried the self amalgamating tape yet but its damn strong so it would do the trick. Check your local electrical wholesalers like Ideal or Turks, they should have rolls of it and I'd imagine it would be a bit cheaper too

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
...Yeah, a light bit of tube, split open and some black cable ties for the drive side chainstay. I have a shorter version on the opposite side chainstay to protect the frame from where my shoe hits sometimes...