change travel - rockshox recon

rayza

Likes Dirt
Hey lads, again i'm asking for favours here, can anyone explain to me, or point me in the direction to get info of changing the travel on some 2008 rockshox recon 351 solor air forks. hoping to drop them from 130mm to 100mm.
Thanks,
Ray

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you'll need 30mm worth of travel chips (black C shaped spacers)

you'll need to take off the lowers, and do an air spring service (left side upper leg), you won't need to open the damper side (right side upper leg).

you can download the service manual here it has some notes in the air spring service section on lowering travel.

rayza

Likes Dirt
thanks t, much appreciated, do you know if its critical to do the service and replace the seals? will they be damaged from being removed? its a brand new fork and i'd like to do it as cheap as possible? thanks again.
Ray

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah, you won't need to change any seals or O rings on a new fork

rock shox forks are designed so the lowers can be dropped off quickly and easily and with basic tools. It's definatley worth learning how to drop the lowers off and change the semi bath yourself.

Basically inside the lower legs is just a bit of cheap 5wt lube to keep everything slippery. It gets contaminated by dust and water that works it's way past the main seals, so the more often you change it the the better your forks will feel and the longer your seals will last.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah, you won't need to change any seals or O rings on a new fork

rock shox forks are designed so the lowers can be dropped off quickly and easily and with basic tools. It's definatley worth learning how to drop the lowers off and change the semi bath yourself.

Basically inside the lower legs is just a bit of cheap 5wt lube to keep everything slippery. It gets contaminated by dust and water that works it's way past the main seals, so the more often you change it the the better your forks will feel and the longer your seals will last.
Just changed travel on my Reba (essentially the same fork) and it's super easy.
I drained all the oil out (semi-bath lube and damping) to have fresh stuff all through, but essentially, to change travel, you'll need about an hour (first time), and these tools:
5mm allen wrench, 10mm socket (longer, open ended works best, for the air-side nut), plastic panel beating-type hammer (for tapping the shafts free) and a set of circlip pliers to remove the circlip/snap ring from the air side (to release the all-travel air cartridge, where you change travel). These need to be pliers that squeeze the clip smaller to release it, rather than expand it (it's in internal circlip).
RockShox manual linked above is good, but the SRAMtech YouTube channel has a video on it, which is much clearer (also watch the Lower Leg Removal video).
That's your best place to get an understanding.
Also, RS recommend 15wt lower leg oil (for the semi-bath lube), and 5wt for the damping (volumes in the manual liked above).
But my tip is just to get 10wt oil for the whole lot - I find all the damping works better, with more adjustment you can feel.
Especially if you're 90+kg like me! I've been doing that for years with no adverse effects.
Oh, final tip - if the foam ring under the seal is dirty, give it a good wash before re-installing (they catch grit in them).
If it's a little worn, turn it inside out and reinstall it. This'll get a little more life out of it before the seals finally give up.

Last edited:

rayza

Likes Dirt
thanks a heap for the help guys, much appreciated, now, anyone know where i can get hold of 30mm worth of all travel spacers?

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks a heap for the help guys, much appreciated, now, anyone know where i can get hold of 30mm worth of all travel spacers?
Anyone who's bought a new fork has them.
I believe these Recons use a sort of "c" shaped spacer.
I think I've got 4 or 5 at home, but I need to check, and you can have them if I've got them.
Should be tons of them at your LBS, too, and they should just hand 'em over free.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all the giants that had applicable forks on them last year shipped with travel chips in the manual bag but a lot of shops wouldn't give those to the customer (kinda asking for trouble)

phone around your local shops, If you have no luck I know where there is a big stash of them in Melbourne. ;)

rayza

Likes Dirt
if either of you guys have access to some all travel spacers, i'm still looking, and willing to pay..

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if either of you guys have access to some all travel spacers, i'm still looking, and willing to pay..
I've found 4 - so that'll get you to 110mm, and you'll only need two more to get to 100mm.
PM me your address.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys does these little disc travel chips relate to DJ3's at all (dual air)...? im looking to drop them from 100 to 80, 60 if at all possable

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
almost all forks can be shortened, as for the specifics... I've never opened up an air sprung Marzocchi so I have no idea how it works inside.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Also, just for reference.. For pretty much all forks (including the Recons as I just lowered a set on Monday), 10-15mm ID PVC pipe cut to length is a perfect substitute for silly proprietary "travel chips" or similar.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, just for reference.. For pretty much all forks (including the Recons as I just lowered a set on Monday), 10-15mm ID PVC pipe cut to length is a perfect substitute for silly proprietary "travel chips" or similar.
any idea about dual air DJ3???

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Not sure specifically about the DJ3s but yes, I would wager that it could be done very easily. Realistically, all you are trying to do is reduce the return travel distance before top out.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Makes perfect sense, as when you clip the travel reducers onto the shaft, you can see how they work.
The 09/10 Reba 20mm Maxle Lite uses a different kind, however.
They are not 'C' shaped, but completely circular with a flange at each end.
Requires disassembling the plunger shaft to fit, but only took a few minutes when I did it.

Rayza - did you get the travel spacers I sent you?