Changing A Front Brake To A Rear...

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry if there has already been a thread on this, i did a search and couldn't find.

So, i was wondering if you can take a front hydraulic disk brake, and attach a rear hose to it, and have it work properly as a rear brake?

cheers,

Tyler.

Allmountain

Likes Dirt
I dont see why it would make any difference it should work exactly as it did on the front. I'm not a 100% so somebody with more knowledge could probibabily help more.

Ror

Likes Dirt
I don't see it being a problem, as long as you don't do the bolts up with a left handed allen key.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends which side you decided to run it on.

Let's say you have an old school Shimano XT brake, if this brake was on the right, for a standard set up, and decided to make it the rear brake, and move it to the left, you would have a problem.

Brake levers that have a defined 'top' cannot be flipped upside down. It allows air to get into the reservoir.

After all this, yes, you can do it.

Likes Dirt
I believe that front and rear are sized differently: e.g. a 6" front would be a 7" back or vice-versa (not sure, sorry).
Would someone more knowledgeable like to help out?

EDIT: Applies to IS mount brakes only

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What brake model are you looking at doing this to?

Welshy is correct in saying that with some brands you can't purely put the lever on the other side, but since you're talking about switching hoses I gather you're well aware of that.

There is no reason why switching the hoses wouldn't work, depending on the brand of brake a bleed may be required afterwords or it could be a good idea to get new fittings (olive & barb or insert thingy) for the job ....just to make sure there are no future leaks.

I have done it with the old school shimano XT brakes and no problems, could probably even get away doing it without replacing the olive & insert as well.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok cheers guys, thanks for ze' help.
the whole upside down thing wont be an issue seeing as i run the backies on the right hand side:)

Beatsta

Likes Bikes
as long as one of your levers isn't broken so you end with two right hand levers like I have

Left is left Right is right...so hard to mix up

Last edited:

Murph12

Likes Dirt
tyler you idiot of course you can :D
just takes a bit of effort with the bleeding and stuff and like $40 for the cable :p

Beatsta

Likes Bikes
I guess if you are naive (dumb) enough to think that a left is the same as a right and all brakes are the same..

Last edited:

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
I guess if you are naive (dumb) enough to think that a left is the same as a right and all brakes are the same..
Seeming that you think front and back brakes are completely different systems it appears you are the idiot. The only difference is the cable length.

mad greek

Likes Dirt
Seeming that you think front and back brakes are completely different systems it appears you are the idiot. The only difference is the cable length.
Not with brakes of IS standard

I suggest checking your facts before you go making them. If you check a rear IS brake you will notice it is actually larger than it's front counterpart.

Put a rear brake on the front (without adaptors) and you'll need a 7" disc to get any pad contact. Put a front on the rear and you won't be able to fit a 6" disc on.

Post mount is a different story, but not all brakes are post mount my friend..

Cheers,
Theo

Beatsta

Likes Bikes
huh? are you high?

Yes barspin I was high, actually drunk .

Pissed off also that CrC sent me a right hand rear brake when I confirmed with them for a left and wondered how they could be so stupid as to think the right lever is the same as a left lever.

So I hijacked your thread and drunkenly vented for a bit..

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes barspin I was high, actually drunk .

Pissed off also that CrC sent me a right hand rear brake when I confirmed with them for a left and wondered how they could be so stupid as to think the right lever is the same as a left lever.

So I hijacked your thread and drunkenly vented for a bit..
oh it was a venting sesh.
for that you are excused...
i had the impression that you were going off at me.

im actually pissed at crc myself, my bars havent come yet, and its been 9 days! its spose to take 8 tops:p

Beatsta

Likes Bikes
oh it was a venting sesh.
for that you are excused...
i had the impression that you were going off at me.

im actually pissed at crc myself, my bars havent come yet, and its been 9 days! its spose to take 8 tops:p
Sorry mate in my drunken state I did wonder if you thought that I may be bagging you.

I wasn't.