changing brakes hoses

pliskin

Likes Dirt
i have a set of elixir CR's i wish to put on my Enduro, because the stock elixir 5's arent up to my liking.
( long story is , i just cant afford new brakes atm , so anything is going to be better, at least the CR's have lever reach adjustment and i can change the pad contact point)
my question is regarding the question of removing the brake lines from the elixir 5, and transplanting them onto the CR's .

is it just a simple job of removing the calipers and levers, and swapping over the hoses?
i have tried looking for tutorials / Youtube videos, but all that seems to exist are How To's of shortening of hoses, not replacements .

any help appreciated

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
You should be fine doing what you suggest however:

1. Check the banjos and see if they are compatible at the caliper end.

2. Lever end should be fine, olives and barbs should be compatible.

3. You will need to bleed the lines once you're done. I can't see how you'll manage this without losing brake fluid.

4. Because of #3, make sure you remove the brake pads first and keep them away from brake fluid.

redbruce

Eats Squid
You should be fine doing what you suggest however:

1. Check the banjos and see if they are compatible at the caliper end.

2. Lever end should be fine, olives and barbs should be compatible.

3. You will need to bleed the lines once you're done. I can't see how you'll manage this without losing brake fluid.

4. Because of #3, make sure you remove the brake pads first and keep them away from brake fluid.
5. Only use a genuine Avid brake bleeder kit. (http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-bleeding-avid-brakes-2010.html)

T-Rex

Template denier
You should get a couple of new compression olives and barbs to do the job properly, although you might be able to recycle the barbs.

And you'll need an Avid bleed kit.

T-Rex

Template denier
A couple more tips

If you are going to try to recycle the barbs, it's easier to cut the olives off then cut the barbs out before you shorten the hose. Trying to work with a half inch length of hose is a pain in the rear end. Better to just buy a couple of barbs, but I've reused them too.

And if you don't have a proper pair of cable cutters to cut the end of the hose square, just cut them rough then trim them up a little bit at a time with something super sharp. A chisel works well, but if Mum has a very sharp kitchen knife and a chopping board, that would also do the trick.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Drain the fluid, using your bleed kit first. It will be a much less messy job if you do it at the start rather than just pulling lines out. Either way, bleeding once they're all hooked up again will be ..... er..... fun, and I use that term loosely. Hell, if Avid can't bleed the bloody things properly most of the time, what hope does anyone else have?

pliskin

Likes Dirt
well i did an entire hose transfer for the front brake line. the length of the back hose line was just long enough.
front brake has been bled and works fine. will do back tomorrow, as i need to get some more brake fluid.