Changing rear dropout size, is it possible?

TM2

Likes Bikes
Hi, a bit of a newbie question here, but I've done as much research as I can and can't find a clear answer. I have a frame with a 12x135mm rear (carbon frame on one side and alloy dérailleur hanger on the other). I'm looking a wheelset that's 10mm, and was wondering if there's any spacers availble that convert the frame to to the smaller size? I know it's possible with lots of hubs. To convert to a smaller size but haven't seen anything to make the mount smaller on the bike.

Thanks.

TM2

Likes Bikes
None as yet, attempting my first bike build and there seems a lot more choice in wheelsets if I had 10x135 instead of 12x135, was wondering if it's a simple case of a bush or adaptor on your frame to change?

John U

MTB Precision
You should be looking for adaptable hubs that'll fit your frame, not the other way around. There should be some good options around. Due to the constant stream of standards a lot of manufacturers are making adaptable hubs.

MARKL

Eats Squid
My Intense came with 12mm to 10mm adaptors so yes it is possible, though as others have said it is better to get a hub that is adaptable and the right size.

TM2

Likes Bikes
Fair call, I have almost decided on a set with 12 x 135, just wasn't sure if it was possible to make the adjustment at the frame instead of the hub.