Chariot/kids chair etc recommendations?

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

My little guy's just hit 2 years and he's always keen on getting on my bike. Currently I just walk the bike and use my hands as a seat over the top tube while he steers... I live next to a reserve and would like to take him on short rides. I have just ride on toys for him, but was wondering what options there are that you guys would recommend?

I have just re-built the hardtail, with flat pedals so that's a start?

I'm assuming he's still too young to get on a bike on his own?

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Just bought a balance bike for my 21 month old. He's loving it. Check out cruzee bikes - they're not perfect but at 1.9kg they're manageable by tiny kids. My 4.5 yr old can ride a pedal bike but still rides his cruzee on trails and skate parks.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best bike seats are the ones that mount on the top tube in front of the rider. I've got a weeride and love it. There are other brands too. Most are suitable from about 1 year old to about 3 depending on the height of the child.

The best trailer IMO is the Weehoo Igo. Again, we have one and love it. The kid gets to pedal and you can actually go faster than a standard bike alone, and you can do light off road stuff (it can get a bit bumpy on rocky trails). They leave two wheeled trailers for dead for so many reasons. Might be a bit early for that though, probably best from 3 or 4 years up to about 8.

A two year old can definitely manage a balance bike. My son was riding blue square trails on his at that age. But obviously they're going slower than you so it's more a case of you walk while he rides. Other brands to consider: Likeabike Kokua Jumper, Firstbike, Early Rider, Specialized or for a budget buy look at Flight.

A lot of this stuff can be picked up quite cheap on Gumtree if you keep your eye out. Some of the retail prices for new stuff are a bit steep considering how quick kids outgrow this gear.

Last edited: