Cheap Chinese titanium skewers - are they dodgy?

Are cheap Chinese titanium skewers dodgy

• Total voters

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Hey Burners,

My old skewers needed replacing so I got me some cheap titanium skewers from ebay a couple of weeks ago. They are about 40 grams for the set, with the round cam device (not flat) and cost me about 25 bucks delivered. They went on my hybrid that I ride on the road a couple of times a week to try to improve my fitness, so I'm not jumping the bike, and I'm definitely not hucking, but I might drop off a gutter occasionally. I have been on 2 rides since install, the first at night with no issues and the second last Sunday. The Sunday ride saw me on the bike path momentarily, crossing driveways and intersections when I noticed the front skewers open. I stopped and tightened it up, not overly alarmed but kept my eye on it. On the way home the rear derailleur stopped with its clicky clicky goodness, and when I got out of the saddle the back end was squirming about. I had a look and sure enough the back skewer was open. The old skewers were rusty and heavy, but there was no way they were opening by themselves :nonchalance:

Is this something that I have done wrong in installation of said skewers, or are these just bits of rubbish posing as bike parts? I'm pretty mechanically minded but have no doubt that it could be my stuff up, just not sure if it was buying these parts, or installation. Any help greatly appreciated.

Demon

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey Burners,

My old skewers needed replacing so I got me some cheap titanium skewers from ebay a couple of weeks ago. They are about 40 grams for the set, with the round cam device (not flat) and cost me about 25 bucks delivered. They went on my hybrid that I ride on the road a couple of times a week to try to improve my fitness, so I'm not jumping the bike, and I'm definitely not hucking, but I might drop off a gutter occasionally. I have been on 2 rides since install, the first at night with no issues and the second last Sunday. The Sunday ride saw me on the bike path momentarily, crossing driveways and intersections when I noticed the front skewers open. I stopped and tightened it up, not overly alarmed but kept my eye on it. On the way home the rear derailleur stopped with its clicky clicky goodness, and when I got out of the saddle the back end was squirming about. I had a look and sure enough the back skewer was open. The old skewers were rusty and heavy, but there was no way they were opening by themselves :nonchalance:

Is this something that I have done wrong in installation of said skewers, or are these just bits of rubbish posing as bike parts? I'm pretty mechanically minded but have no doubt that it could be my stuff up, just not sure if it was buying these parts, or installation. Any help greatly appreciated.

Demon
If not done already, tighten the nut so that it takes a lot of effort (major imprint on palm) to close the lever. Because Ti tends to stretch more than steel you need a lot more tension on the skewer to prevent them undoing.

Personally, I've ditched Ti skewers (and mine werent cheap chinese affairs) because they are hard to secure to my confidence. I've had a back wheel pull out of the frame under hard acceleration (standing) throwing me over the bars.

In the end the weight saving is negligible over something reliable. Current faves are Hope, DT and anything Shimano.

workmx

Banned
Halo hex skewers

I had a similar issue with a reputable brand of skewers. They cost me $130, but keep coming undone (esp. the front) no matter how tight I did them up.

For cheap, light, colourful (and more secure than quick release) skewers, I reckon that you can't bet Halo hex skewers.

Only $13 a pop from Wiggle or Chain Reaction, they are light (70g approx) and will NOT come undone by themselves.

Sure you need a 5mm allen key to undo them, but everyone carries a trail tool these days, right?

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
I had a similar issue with a reputable brand of skewers. They cost me $130, but keep coming undone (esp. the front) no matter how tight I did them up.

For cheap, light, colourful (and more secure than quick release) skewers, I reckon that you can't bet Halo hex skewers.

Only $13 a pop from Wiggle or Chain Reaction, they are light (70g approx) and will NOT come undone by themselves.

Sure you need a 5mm allen key to undo them, but everyone carries a trail tool these days, right?

Keeps scum off your bike too :D

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Halo hex. light, easy to do up/undo + a little extra security to boot, especially for a commuter.

frensham

Likes Dirt
There is a very good reason why Shimano have not got down the titanium skewer road, even with XTR. When it comes to secure locking of the skewer, there is Shimano, daylight and then the rest. Helix are good but lousy in a race...