Cheap diving/snorkelling

0psi

Eats Squid
So I've just returned from my annual pilgrimage to Port Douglas and got to thinking that I wouldn't mind doing the odd diving holiday.

Now diving on the GBR is okay but diving is bloody expensive, as is accommodation and food. So does anyone have any better suggestions for cheapish dive holidays? We'd usually be going for a week or two and we have all our own gear. Big fish and clear water is what I usually chase and I'm not too fussed whether it's here or OS.

I've started looking into Indonesia but it's a bit of a minefield and seems like it would take weeks to sift through all the info. Norfolk looks kinda cool but I've heard food is a little pricey as most of it has to be shipped in. Wouldn't mind doing Cocos Keeling but it takes so long to get there (I'm in Sydney) that I'd want to spent more than just a week or two there.

Cheers!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So I've just returned from my annual pilgrimage to Port Douglas and got to thinking that I wouldn't mind doing the odd diving holiday.

Now diving on the GBR is okay but diving is bloody expensive, as is accommodation and food. So does anyone have any better suggestions for cheapish dive holidays? We'd usually be going for a week or two and we have all our own gear. Big fish and clear water is what I usually chase and I'm not too fussed whether it's here or OS.

I've started looking into Indonesia but it's a bit of a minefield and seems like it would take weeks to sift through all the info. Norfolk looks kinda cool but I've heard food is a little pricey as most of it has to be shipped in. Wouldn't mind doing Cocos Keeling but it takes so long to get there (I'm in Sydney) that I'd want to spent more than just a week or two there.

Cheers!
Vietnam mate. Was a few year ago now but the missus and I went for two weeks for $1600 each, including accommodation and domestic flights /transfers. Natrang is where you want to go, from memory 4 days diving including gear was about $400.

Food and booze was obscenely cheap too.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Vietnam mate. Was a few year ago now but the missus and I went for two weeks for $1600 each, including accommodation and domestic flights /transfers. Nathan is where you want to go, from memory 4 days diving including gear was about $400.

Nice, hadn't considered Vietnam.

Keep 'em coming!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lord Howe Island is great but would be very expensive

Countless locations in the pacific - lots of options for wreck diving and deep coral walls - Vanuatu was great, solomons, samoa, fiji, tahiti etc. some locations will cater much better to tourists than others

Japan would be an option for something a little different (and seeing some seriously high tech gear from all accounts)

A live aboard in the coral sea would be as good as anything in the world but the costs will add up pretty quickly

Vietnam mate. Was a few year ago now but the missus and I went for two weeks for $1600 each, including accommodation and domestic flights /transfers. Natrang is where you want to go, from memory 4 days diving including gear was about $400.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
Yes, Vietnam mate is cheap and best

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
would be a few years ago now but we did 3 days on a live aboard with cairns dive centre, cabin, food, gear was $100 a day. looking now it's about $200, but still seems good value to me. also a nice time out on the boat, especially if it's only a short break