Cheap ebay carbon mtb frames. Yay or Nay?

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
In the next several months I hope to build a cheap as possible single speeder. I would like a carbon frame and possible some ridgid carbon forks on it either 26er or 29er either will do me. Then I remembered seeing these cheap carbon frames on ebay.

Are these frames any good for what i want? I know i will have to run a chain tensioner on them but im not to fussed on that. But how do these frames compare to a well known bike manufactering company?

I prefer the feel of carbon over any alloy/steel framed bike ive ridden.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26er-Mountain-bike-internal-cable-bicycle-frames-full-carbon-bike-parts-MTB002?item=170922238593&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4775338437901856817
$(KGrHqVHJDcFBucuNligBQd!9!tZdw~~60_3.JPG

One of these could replace a tentioner.
http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

349_ENO_ECC_SIL.jpg

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a large thread (or 2) on mtbr forum that would be a good place to start. mtbr goes shit slow for me, but worth a look even if you get similar performance.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
The quality of the carbon frames from some of these chinese companies is good but you want to make sure you find a reputable company (relatively speaking). I bought a roadie frame and am really impressed by the finish and how it rides.
http://www.velobuild.com/ is another decent website for info as is roadbikereview.com

Carbonzone seem to have a good reputation... for that frame from that company I would say do it.
The only other companies who seem to have a consistantly good rating is Dengfu (where I bought), Hongfu and Flyxii (though their website looks to be dead? not a good sign)

I got the decals done by a guy called marco polo in Brazil.. who I would highly recommend, pm me if you want details.

Its a great way to get a cheap light and unique bike !

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
The quality of the carbon frames from some of these chinese companies is good but you want to make sure you find a reputable company (relatively speaking). I bought a roadie frame and am really impressed by the finish and how it rides.
http://www.velobuild.com/ is another decent website for info as is roadbikereview.com

Carbonzone seem to have a good reputation... for that frame from that company I would say do it.
The only other companies who seem to have a consistantly good rating is Dengfu (where I bought), Hongfu and Flyxii (though their website looks to be dead? not a good sign)

I got the decals done by a guy called marco polo in Brazil.. who I would highly recommend, pm me if you want details.

Its a great way to get a cheap light and unique bike !

those frames off of the velobuild site look good. there was even a 650b mtb frame which might be a good way to go.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Velobuild.

Here are mine that i LOVE
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-Chinese-Carbon-Builds&highlight=ltk023+fm098

Never seen anyone complain about their frame they received from Velobuild. I have a theory that the ones on eBay didn't pass as many quality controls so they can flog them off kind of anonymously without affecting the company reputation.A

All the chinese road and mtb frames i have seen seem to come from one big factory where they copy the geometry of a known brand and make a frame using their standard seattube diameters, derailleur hangers, headtube sizes and bb shells. The are definitely not OEM factory seconds without stickers. They then sell the frames through different distributors (Hongfu, Dengfu, Flyxxii, etc) which sell the same frames under different names. I have had great luck with Dengfu. Hongfu are dropped the ball lately it seems.

Last edited:

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
one more thing Im unsure of is what chain to use when I go SS. could i use a light weight 10spd chain (kmc x10sl dlc) or should i go for something a little stronger? If i go with a carbon frame this will be a light weight build try and get it below 9/8kg

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With most singlespeeds, isn't the rear cog 1/8" spacing and so you need a 1/8" chain? The KMC 710SL looks pretty good.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but will that work properly on a bike which doesnt have sliding dropouts or an ecentric BB? will it just reduce the amount of slack in the chain compared to a normal chain.
yep sure does! done it a number of times!

heads up those kmc chains are SHIT ever kmc chain i've had has fucked out looked after or not! had 3 of those half links snapped links and most commonly with chains i pop the pins of the links, yes drive lines were 100% straight if you want a good strong half link go the shadow conspiracy! big meaty pins and strong links, had a few, run good even when badly neglected! i now run an octain one half link http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60736 these are th ducks guts value wise! i love mine, they will stretch a bit when you get them but all chains will, half links will stretch more than any other because of there design but still they are the shit! get one, not expensive, nothing to lose!

MARKL

Eats Squid
heads up those kmc chains are SHIT ever kmc chain i've had has fucked out looked after or not!
In my experience KMC chains have been incredibly reliable on everything from road to xc to downhill to fixie and any other bike I have.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
one more thing Im unsure of is what chain to use when I go SS. could i use a light weight 10spd chain (kmc x10sl dlc) or should i go for something a little stronger? If i go with a carbon frame this will be a light weight build try and get it below 9/8kg
Depends what rear sprocket & chainring you get. Traditionally single speed stuff has been built for 1/8" internal chain width, while most multi-gear stuff is narrower at 3/32". 10-speed chains are narrower again at 11/128". With the advent of quite a few people converting MTBs to SS, there's now quite a bit of 3/32" gear around. To be safe I'd recommend a good 9-sp. chain like Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR or something similar. The narrower 10-sp. chain may tend to stick onto the gear teeth & not seat properly as it's a tight fit; 3/32" chain definitely behaves this way on 1/8" gear.

redbruce

Eats Squid
In my experience KMC chains have been incredibly reliable on everything from road to xc to downhill to fixie and any other bike I have.
But not the half link ones (or anyone elses for that matter).

Half links were all the rage in BMX racing for a brief period. Turns out its hard to win a race without a chain.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But not the half link ones (or anyone elses for that matter).

Half links were all the rage in BMX racing for a brief period. Turns out its hard to win a race without a chain.
well said, half link unless you spend the money and get a big beefy one like the shadow conspiracy (below) you'll snap them every day of the week

332Kit3.jpg

BUT BACK TO ORIGINAL POINT carbon frames like that should be allright

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a bucket load of info on the China Carbon frames on MTBR. So much so that I now have the desire to build a 650B hardtail (Not sold on 29ers).
I so go for it, I know I will be as soon as the boss approves the funding for it :p