Cheap(ish) Commuter That Can Maybe Take a Thrashing

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
I'm looking for a commuter for under a thousand bucks - the cheaper the better - and ideally I'd like it to be able to take some jumps (nothing huge) and a little trail abuse if nescesary. Fully rigid will probably be the go I reckon. I can't really be arsed putting something together myself from second hand gear, so does anyone have any suggestions for a new bike that might be suitable? Commuting is the main priority, but I'd love to get something that can take some punishment aswell if there is such a bike. Think KHS Rigid One, but cheaper would be good if possible.

Cheers!

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
if u wanna go a bit more $$$, u could go a cannondale. did u want gears? also, specialized make a commuter range, but their a bit more light wieght than thrasher...

Rik

logged out
bassmonkey said:
Think KHS Rigid One, but cheaper would be good if possible.
:?
Rigid One is dirt cheap, to get any cheaper you'll need to go 2nd hand. Just remember, cheap and trashable are 2 VERY seperate things. Maybe the Redline Monocog, but it's not much cheaper... the only other thing I can think of is a 24" BMX, but that's not really practical.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
For what you're asking? I can't think of anything that comes close except for.... drum roll please... KHS Rigid One.

Jump, trail, commute, affordable? No question.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
If your prepared to go single speed the Specialized Hardrock SS is supposed to be pretty cheap as well. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh but the spec looks good enough for a thrasher.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would say the Kona Scab comes close but really Rigid One would be the go, probably a bit cheaper too.

Oh and convert it to single speed!

bazza

look at me
nah ridgid one is a lot sweeter. and its single speed........... and if you want to take it dh or trail riding you can always just chuck a set of forks on it and it should hold up!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
bazza said:
nah ridgid one is a lot sweeter. and its single speed........... and if you want to take it dh or trail riding you can always just chuck a set of forks on it and it should hold up!
Single-speed? Are you sure, bazza? The ones I've seen before have all had gears (web, magazines and in the store), and in fact, I've got a copy of AMB, where on page 27 of the Autumn 2003 issue, there's a full page ad for the bike, with gears. (For $929, BTW).

Unless there are multiple models of Rigid One that I'm not aware of?

But you HAVE researched that "single-speed" statement, haven't you, bazza? :wink:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
RSC said:
huffy, dunlop, just name a few, the more u have the more fun u can have
That is a completely stupid answer.

a: He's looking for quality, not a department store POS (mention of the KHS Rigid One should be a clue)
b: He asked for a RIGID bike to do trail riding and dirt-jumping on - if you're suggesting he buy one of the rigid Huffys or Dunlops... (I've never seen a rigid Huffy or Dunlop for more than $300), you must be either clueless or secretly trying to kill him.
c: "the more u have the more fun u can have". WTF?!?

STOP POSTWHORING!

Also... has anybody EVER seen a Huffy or a Dunlop bike that DOESN'T have a "This bicycle is not meant to be ridden off-road" sticker on it? I sure haven't ever seen one...

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Scab would have been allright, but I dont think theres a 2004 model, so maybe you could find a 03 NOS and get it cheap.
otherwise..........Rigid one it. Altho these bikes would be a bit heavy for a commutor Id assume
(never actually ridden either)
Or you could always go second hand.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I commute on my Scab, It's heavy but with the rigids on it and some low rolling resistance tyres it sprints well and once it is moving it is fine.

But if Bassmonkey wants to dirtjump and hit up the trails I think the stronger steel frames would be good, you just don't have to worry about abusing them.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!

my ex-commuter bike...

cost quite a bit under 1k and strong as.... umm..... superman??

it was also used for DJ.... infact the dude who bought it only uses it for DJ...

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have a look at the gt avalanche series, nice for commuting and strong enough to take a beating. there are about 5 s and i think three are under a grand.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input folks, muchos appreciatos.

A wicked generous mate put together an old Trek slapper for me today which should do the commuting an absolute treat. I've gotta admit, I'm still liking the idea of a Rigid One though. The Scrap looks like another decent alternative too, for sure.

anfon

Banned
Techno Destructo said:
RSC said:
huffy, dunlop, just name a few, the more u have the more fun u can have
That is a completely stupid answer.

a: He's looking for quality, not a department store POS (mention of the KHS Rigid One should be a clue)
b: He asked for a RIGID bike to do trail riding and dirt-jumping on - if you're suggesting he buy one of the rigid Huffys or Dunlops... (I've never seen a rigid Huffy or Dunlop for more than $300), you must be either clueless or secretly trying to kill him.
c: "the more u have the more fun u can have". WTF?!?

STOP POSTWHORING!

Also... has anybody EVER seen a Huffy or a Dunlop bike that DOESN'T have a "This bicycle is not meant to be ridden off-road" sticker on it? I sure haven't ever seen one...

Whoa, big man. I've had my shitbox (that cost maybe $200) for the last FIVE YEARS and she's still goin well.
The only major things wrong with it are the bent forks, and only about 4 out of the '15 gears' actually work now, and thats after no servicing what-so-ever.

Why does it matter that you haven't seen a Huffy or Dunlop for more than $300?
Does the more money you spend make you a better rider?
That's what a lot of people on here seem to think. . .

wombat

Lives in a hole
He wants something to handle a little trail abuse and some jumping. There is no way a supermarket special is suitable for that sort of riding, it's not only stupid by pretty damn dangerous and it's suggestion contributed nothing to the discussion.

Rik

logged out
anfon said:
Whoa, big man. I've had my shitbox (that cost maybe $200) for the last FIVE YEARS and she's still goin well.
The only major things wrong with it are the bent forks, and only about 4 out of the '15 gears' actually work now, and thats after no servicing what-so-ever.
Gee, is that all? So basically the bike is unrideable? Wow, really makes a good case for cheap bikes.
Where do you want me to start with shitbox bikes... they're useless for any amount of riding. Things on them wear out too quickly, gears develop slop, brakes get play in them, wheels go crummy pretty quickly. Your example is a testament to the fact that cheap bikes are just that, and they're no good for commuting work.
Fuck that. Last thing I'd want when commuting is having slipping gears and ineffective brakes, that'd really make playing in traffic fun.