VIC Cheap parts for son's first 26" bike.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks Moorey.

I've already got a 140mm rotor, my thinking is for a little guy/not very fast/first set of disc brakes less powerful is better? Or am I thinking it wrong?
Your call. Kids hands aren't strong, I went 7" on Felix's.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks Moorey.

I've already got a 140mm rotor, my thinking is for a little guy/not very fast/first set of disc brakes less powerful is better? Or am I thinking it wrong?
If you're fitting Avids, contemporary thinking says you need to compensate somewhere.

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
The 8" rotors are a massive hit on my young blokes merida. We had a test ride today and he's gone from having to grab a fist full of v brake to pop a tiny endo to two finger braking and pulling some pretty cool rolling stopies! 6-8" might seem over kill but don't forget the lack of strength in their little fingers

SummitFever

Eats Squid
My daughters use 160mm front and 140mm rears. They always brake with just one finger. The youngest would just lock up the rear everywhere when she had a 160mm rotor. They never complain of sore hands or anything like that but then again they're not riding DH. If you're using some decent disk brakes and have the bite point adjusted for their little fingers then I don't think you'll need big rotors.

moorey

call me Mia
My daughters use 160mm front and 140mm rears. They always brake with just one finger. The youngest would just lock up the rear everywhere when she had a 160mm rotor. They never complain of sore hands or anything like that but then again they're not riding DH. If you're using some decent disk brakes and have the bite point adjusted for their little fingers then I don't think you'll need big rotors.
That's not very enduro, Georg!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
So here is the end result of this thread. A great big thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way with bits, pieces and advice.

Small avanti aggressor 26' frame
Reba dual airs, beautifully plush for a lighter rider (thanks Summit!) Steerer tube left long to accommodate growth.
165mm XT cranks with a 28t widgit and an 11-36 XT cassette. Perfect range for a 10yr old. AEST brand alloy pedals from ebay. Very light and spin beautifully.
Wheels have DT hubs, mix of rims, run beautifully (thanks Moorey, I put tubes in them out of respect for you)
Geax Saguaro's I had lying around.
X9 shifter and derailleur came off Dad's bike, just waiting a replacement jockey wheel.
Avid brakes also off Dad's bike. 180 front and 160 rear seems overkill for a kid, was planning 140 rear, but the frame is post mount and will take no smaller than 140. I am getting over the guilt of putting Avid's on his bike, but it means I got XTs for mine. Mmmmmm, very nice.
Cut off seatpost and short stem, narrow bars puts everything in place for a tall ten year old.

Overall, a cracking little bike for a very lucky and happy boy ( not shown in picture), put together for well less than $400, depending on how you calculate the value of bits taken from my bike.

Thanks again everyone!!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Nice work. Dual air forks are awesome for the kids. Felix's has dual air reba, and I'm holding onto a set of dual air 20mm axle revs dot when he grows a bit.
Hope he rides it like he stole it from kingshill.

PJO

in me vL comy
Your boy should be stoked!

Looks like an awesome bike!
The chain looks like it could be shorter, just looking at the angle of the derailleur cage, unless you are gonna chuck on a bigger front ring at some stage soon...

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Looks like an awesome bike!
The chain looks like it could be shorter, just looking at the angle of the derailleur cage, unless you are gonna chuck on a bigger front ring at some stage soon...
Hah! Thanks mate, I finished putting it together very late one night, and whacked the chain on with all the links just to get it mobile, then completely forgot it needed shortening.

Will remove a few links when I put new jockey wheel on.